Author Topic: Software & tips for Rigol DS2072 ( DS2000 / DS4000 / DS6000 UltraVision DSOs )  (Read 385728 times)

Offline Suffer1981de

• Contributor
Hi Marmad,

4 channels = 1-3 WPS
3 channels = 2-4 WPS
2 channels = 3-4 WPS
1 channel   = 10-25 WPS

The timebase doesn't matter, at least i can't see a differenz.

Greetings

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hi Marmad,

4 channels = 1-3 WPS
3 channels = 2-4 WPS
2 channels = 3-4 WPS
1 channel   = 10-25 WPS

The timebase doesn't matter, at least i can't see a differenz.

Interesting... thanks! The DSO seems to respond fastest when you don't change the waveform source channel. Do the figures change at all with different combinations? For example, do you get the same approx. WPS with Ch1 & Ch2 ON as you do with Ch1 & Ch3 ON?

Offline Suffer1981de

• Contributor
Interesting... thanks! The DSO seems to respond fastest when you don't change the waveform source channel. Do the figures change at all with different combinations? For example, do you get the same approx. WPS with Ch1 & Ch2 ON as you do with Ch1 & Ch3 ON?

No differenz. Goes down to 1 WPS as soon as i turn the knobs tho ;-)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:48:24 pm by Suffer1981de »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
No differenz. Goes down to 1 WPS as soon as i turn the knobs tho ;-)

Yes, I've seen in videos that the GUI of the DS1000Z can become quite slow in certain circumstances - and I'm sure data communications is near the bottom of the stack when it comes to servicing requests. I'm afraid it's never going to be possible to get very many waveforms per second out of the DS1Z under many circumstances.

The other problem for DS1Z owners is, as mentioned before, the missing SCPI :FUNC commands. The main reason I originally started writing RUU was to be able to export, save, and plot recorded frames - which is one of it's main strengths. Unfortunately, until Rigol corrects the FW, that won't be possible for DS1Z owners - so you should start complaining to your dealers (and Rigol) to try to get them to fix it asap.

Offline skrap

• Contributor
Yes it's on USB.

I have nothing new to report really, I get same figures as Suffer1981de.
The figures are quite stable after ~10s, +-1 wps or so.

1 channel = 24 wps
2 channels = 5 wps
3 channels = 3 wps
4 channels = 3 wps

With a 10ms timebase and 50Msps I can get 35wps on a single channel, but it fluctuates a lot (+-5 wps). This is the highest wps figure I've seen so far with the DS1000z. Curiously lowering the sps to 25Msps or even 10 only decreases the wps figure so it's not a straightforward relation between wps and sps or any other parameter I have tried so far (memory depth..etc).

Offline manu

• Regular Contributor
Hello,
RUU 3.00.a06 :
On my DS1104Zs, USB, 1 channel activated, the max wps I had is 14 wps (log disabled).
By the way, I can get waveforms, which is great!

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
Breifly tested with my DS4054 on both USB and TCP. Looks good so far, logs and screenshot attatched.
Windows XP SP3 all up-to-date on a Dell Latitude E5000.

Alex

Thanks, Alex. I'm impressed with the speed of the DS4000 display memory transfers. Can you please tell me how many waveforms per second (WPS counter - top right) with just a single channel on? Maybe attach a log file for just a single channel? Thanks again!

USB:
1 channel   33 WPS
2 channels 23 WPS
3 channels 18 WPS
4 channels 15 WPS

TCP:
1 channel   3 or 4 WPS
2 channels 1 or 2 WPS
3 channels 1 WPS
4 channels 1 WPS

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
I have now found a bug: when I pull the plug out, RUU dedects that the unit has gone and shows a dialog:
DSO not responding to query and/or command - RUU closing connection
I click ok and then see the attatched screenshot. :-[
RUU needs to be re-started after this to remove the big red X
attatched also is the debugging info for both USB and TCP.

Cheers

Alex
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:07:30 am by The Chump »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I only get 21wps , 1 Chan.   on my DS2000,
I may only have USB 1 ports. Would that make a difference ?

Possibly - although it might also have to do with the speed of your computer (I assume it's not too fast if it has USB 1.0 ports). You can create a log file and then examine the gaps between these two entries (look at entries from the middle of the file):

00000285  :WAV:DATA?   
00000291  :1400        +6ms  'The gap from the :WAV:DATA? number to the :1400 number is the ~DSO response and transmission time for display memory (1400 bytes)
00000308  :WAV:DATA?  +17ms  'The gap from :1400 number to the :WAV:DATA? number is mainly the ~display draw time (plus all other operations)
00000315  :1400        +7ms
00000331  :WAV:DATA?  +16ms
00000339  :1400        +8ms
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:44:49 am by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I have now found a bug: when I pull the plug out, RUU dedects that the unit has gone and shows a dialog:
DSO not responding to query and/or command - RUU closing connection
I click ok and then see the attatched screenshot. :-[

Thanks, Alex. I'm aware of this problem (as well as some others) - it will (hopefully) be sorted out when I'm finished rewriting the display routines.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I should just mention that these WPS numbers are rather irrelevant (other than the aesthetic fact that it's nicer when things are faster and more responsive) - so no need to get too wrapped up in them. Benchtop DSOs are not really designed to transfer copious amounts of real-time data to external devices - that's why they have built-in screens. You can't even retrieve the sample memory from the Rigols unless they're STOPped.

As mentioned before, the real-time display of RUU is just there to provide some visual feedback while performing the main functions, which are (or will be) transferring, saving, plotting, and searching of sample and/or segmented memory, remote control of DSO operations, and more precise control and operations for Delayed Sweep (Zoom) mode.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:05:26 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Ok, just for comparison purposes I ran RUU on my tiny (old) netbook computer to see how the numbers changed. Here are the (approx. best case) numbers from my desktop machine compared to the netbook:

Desktop
i7 950 @ 3.06GHz
Win 7 x64

USB comm w/DS2000 (@2ns/div - FW v.3)
One channel:  ~43wps
Two channels: ~25wps

Average times with two channels:
To retrieve 2x display memory from DSO: ~20ms
To redraw display (and other ops.):         ~20ms

Netbook
Atom N270 @ 1.60GHz
Win 7 x86

USB comm w/DS2000 (@2ns/div - FW v.3)
One channel:  ~14wps
Two channels: ~11wps

Average times with two channels:
To retrieve 2x display memory from DSO: ~20ms
To redraw display (and other ops.):         ~70ms

So the speed of the computer (and number of cores) can also have a large impact on the WPS rates - although it's good to note that the number of channels turned on affects the DSO response and display memory retrieval times much more than the PC redraw times (since the display is only redrawn once per cycle, regardless of number of channels on).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:55:55 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
One more comparison test:

Netbook
Atom N270 @ 1.60GHz
Win 7 x86

Wi-Fi comm w/DS2000 (@2ns/div - FW v.3)
One channel:  ~9wps
Two channels: ~5wps
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:58:44 pm by marmad »

Offline DD4DA

• Contributor
To Compare:

Rigol DS2202 (@2ns/div - Fw. is Actual)

1CH 28 WPS
2CH 14 WPS

AMD FX8350 (8-Core) @ Windows 8.1RU1 x64
via 1GBIT LAN-Link

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
Well, I'll take anything you can make, whatever specs it has. :-+

Ok, I'll put something together and let you know when it is ready.

I haven't had any time to work on this since that day, but here's what I used, then.  This won't be of much use to anyone that isn't somewhat capable in C# development.  This is pretty much a blank slate, but it is something to start from.

https://gist.github.com/naikrovek/c3e6d593eef39e71b84e

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
Have I missed something on this project or it is stopped?

Is there a Rigol official software to control the DS1074Z from a PC?

Thanks
Mauro

Offline manu

• Regular Contributor
Hello Mauro,
There is a beta-version that you can use on a DS1074Z.
I tested it a little, but I didn't find any bug in it, yet I haven't intensive usage of it (mainly screenshots).

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
Thank you manu, I thought the alfa was just for preliminary testing and it was not usable. I'll test it on the weekend. Thank you
Mauro

Ken

I just made a purchase of a Rigol DS2072A and wanted to express my gratitude to the posters here, especially Marmad.  The RUU is part of what I needed as I plan on using it for 'real time' displays in the classes I give for Amateur Radio.
The wealth of information here is overwhelming but I do appreciate the forum as a way to help my understand things.  Oh, how things have changed since my Eico 460.

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
Re: Software & tips for Rigol DS2072 ( DS2000 / DS4000 / DS6000 UltraVision DSOs )
« Reply #494 on: September 30, 2014, 07:13:06 am »
Hello,

I have a Rigol DS4034 UltraVision and the remote control from PC would be a very useful tool.
I have tried both version of RUU: the 2_03 and 3_alpha.
I cannot connect to the instrument.
I tried both: the USB and LAN connections. For LAN I connected only the PC and the Rigol without any additional network.
Both connections USB and LAN work when I test them with the Excel file provided by Rigol.

Why I cannot connect with RUU?
What are the steps in debugging the connection?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: Software & tips for Rigol DS2072 ( DS2000 / DS4000 / DS6000 UltraVision DSOs )
« Reply #495 on: September 30, 2014, 12:56:17 pm »
Both connections USB and LAN work when I test them with the Excel file provided by Rigol.

I'm not sure what the Excel file provided by Rigol is, but to use RUU you should first be able to connect with Rigol's Ultra Sigma and send SCPI commands to the DSO.

Why I cannot connect with RUU?
What are the steps in debugging the connection?

I'm guessing you don't have the NI VISA Runtime installed. Get Rigol's Ultra Sigma and follow instructions to install VISA and get that running.

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
Of course I have installed NI VISA and UltraSigma software, otherwise the communication from Excel spreadsheet would not work.

Actually I installed all the software, from here, under section Software:
http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds4000/ds4034/

There is an Excel example which works for me.
The C#.NET and LabView I did not try yet.
Still RUU does not connect.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Of course I have installed NI VISA and UltraSigma software, otherwise the communication from Excel spreadsheet would not work.

Actually I installed all the software, from here, under section Software:
http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds4000/ds4034/

There is an Excel example which works for me.
The C#.NET and LabView I did not try yet.
Still RUU does not connect.
Have you connected to the DSO with UltraSigma and tried sending the *IDN? command

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
@Teneyes
No, I do not get that communication window. Something appears a fast and then dis spears, i cannot see what window is. Then I got a error message that cannot communicate.
@maramd
NO and YES.
I guess that the start point of debugging.
YES in my Excel sheet.
And NO from UltraSigma.
UltraSigma can see my instrument, USB or TCPIP. but it has an error and it closes. I cannot activate SCPI command panel.
The error is related with ntdll.dll.
I have no idea how to solve it for the moment.
I only suppose that if UltraSigma will work without error, then maybe also RUU will work.
It cross to my mind several things: I have an antivirus, even anti-spywere. I disabled both and still no success. Then I was thinking at Regional settings. The original Windows DVD was in German, but it asked me if I want English and I have English installed. The Regional settings are for Germany. I changed for USA, restart the PC every time, after each change. STill the same error, the UltraSigam closes. It starts, I can see the Rigol as USB instrument, then sometimes it closes itself after few seconds and sometimes when I click right on the USB VISA, where the instrument was detected willing to invoke the SCPI command panel. Then it closes with ntdll.dll error.
I use Win7 64 bits Home Preminum.
I never had problems with other programs.
One more thing: the Rigol programs have a shield on their icon related with UAC (User Account Control). I turned that off and still I got the ntdll.dll error.
Have no idea what to do for the moment.

Offline viki2000

• Contributor
Here are some updates to the problem mentioned above:
- I downloaded and updated NI-VISA to version 14.00. It is a big package over 600MB. Inside was also the NI-VISA 14.00.
- Then the RUU worked, but the UltraSigam still gives me the same ntdll.dll error and the program SCPI command panel still starts and remained blocked with error.

Here is the error that I get:
http://vid926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/viki2000/vIdeo/UltraSigmantdllerror_zps3de528c9.mp4

the error text is here:
"
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:      APPCRASH
  Application Name:      Ultra Sigma.exe
  Application Version:      0.1.6.0
  Application Timestamp:      4d2fa0d5
  Fault Module Name:      ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version:      6.1.7601.18229
  Fault Module Timestamp:      51fb1072
  Exception Code:      c0000005
  Exception Offset:      00033ac5
  OS Version:      6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:      1031
  Additional Information 1:      0a9e
  Additional Information 2:      0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:      0a9e
  Additional Information 4:      0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
"
Here is the screenshot with RUU.
http://vid926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/viki2000/vIdeo/RUU-RIGOLDS4034_zps02753647.mp4
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:20:10 am by viki2000 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf