Author Topic: Looking for some battery protection  (Read 480 times)

Offline machinehumTopic starter

• Contributor
Looking for some battery protection
« on: July 17, 2023, 06:44:54 pm »
Hey!

I'm designing a 4S3P device that uses 18650 cells with a 9A output. I'm struggling to find suitable protection IC or ICs for this design. I started with the XB8089D in this config.

Then I realized the XB8089D has an Rds_on of 20mR, so a power consumption of ~1.65W per IC @9A, which is way above their rating. I chose these ICs because of the 10A overcurrent shutoff, I'm not sure how this is set if the package can't even take that load. I should have run the numbers before, but here we are.

Does anyone know of a part that offers the same protection, but drives an external fet? Or something else that might work for this application. Thanks in advance  :)

Online Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
Re: Looking for some battery protection
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 04:31:47 am »
HX-3S-FL25A-A. There are 2S/3S/4S/5S.

The shunt is collected from two SMD resistors of 5 mΩ to the parallel (total 2.5 mΩ).
As the keys, field transistors AOD514 included 4 in parallel were used.

Balancing is collected on the basis of the HY2213-BB3A chip, the nominal voltage of balancing 4.20V
The current balancing current is fixed 42 mA (4.20V/100 Ω = 42 mA), this is quite enough for accumulators of not a particularly high capacity.

Balancing works constantly and regardless of protection scheme. While the voltage on any of the batteries exceeds 4.20V, a load resistance of 100 Ω is connected to it until it is discharged to 4.20V.

On P-N-P Transistors Q1-Q6, a level converter and signal accumulator with HY2210-CB are assembled.
On n-p-n transistors Q7-Q9 collected logic of power keys.
Q7 is unlocking when any battery reloads to a voltage below 2.40V, recovery occurs at a voltage over 3.0V (after the load is removed or connected to charging).
Q8 provides protection of protection after its operation until the load is completely removed. At the same time, it organized a high -speed protection with a short circuit circuit when the current rises over 100A.
Q9 is unlocking when any battery is reloaded to a voltage over 4.28V, recovery occurs under load at a voltage below 4.08V. At the same time, power keys do not interfere with the course of the discharge current.

S1 and S2 - control points, they have nothing to do with thermal protection. Moreover, it is impossible to close them among themselves.
A signal appears on the S1 when reloading any element.
A signal appears on the S2 when reloading any element, as well as after the current protection is triggered.
Consumption current, not more than 8 μA.

Offline machinehumTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Looking for some battery protection
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 04:45:11 pm »
HX-3S-FL25A-A. There are 2S/3S/4S/5S.

The shunt is collected from two SMD resistors of 5 mΩ to the parallel (total 2.5 mΩ).
As the keys, field transistors AOD514 included 4 in parallel were used.

Balancing is collected on the basis of the HY2213-BB3A chip, the nominal voltage of balancing 4.20V
The current balancing current is fixed 42 mA (4.20V/100 Ω = 42 mA), this is quite enough for accumulators of not a particularly high capacity.

Balancing works constantly and regardless of protection scheme. While the voltage on any of the batteries exceeds 4.20V, a load resistance of 100 Ω is connected to it until it is discharged to 4.20V.

On P-N-P Transistors Q1-Q6, a level converter and signal accumulator with HY2210-CB are assembled.
On n-p-n transistors Q7-Q9 collected logic of power keys.
Q7 is unlocking when any battery reloads to a voltage below 2.40V, recovery occurs at a voltage over 3.0V (after the load is removed or connected to charging).
Q8 provides protection of protection after its operation until the load is completely removed. At the same time, it organized a high -speed protection with a short circuit circuit when the current rises over 100A.
Q9 is unlocking when any battery is reloaded to a voltage over 4.28V, recovery occurs under load at a voltage below 4.08V. At the same time, power keys do not interfere with the course of the discharge current.

S1 and S2 - control points, they have nothing to do with thermal protection. Moreover, it is impossible to close them among themselves.
A signal appears on the S1 when reloading any element.
A signal appears on the S2 when reloading any element, as well as after the current protection is triggered.
Consumption current, not more than 8 μA.

Thanks for the reply, but I can't find stock of the HY2210 to save my life. Would you happen to know where I can get this part? or an alternate part number?

Edit: There looks to be some HY2112-* out there, but the overcharge looks to trigger at 3.7V, which isn't ideal for lipo.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 04:51:35 pm by machinehum »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf