Author Topic: Simple DIY Linear PSU  (Read 16588 times)

Offline panossTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Simple DIY Linear PSU
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2020, 08:20:47 am »
Following measurements are all in DMM 's Diode Mode.
C-E(Negative lead to C, positive to E): 0.027.
E-C:(Negative lead to E, positive to C): 0.033.

I measured a 30 Ohm resistor (as I don't have a 27 Ohm resistor, even with combinations) : 0.027.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:34:14 am by panoss »

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2020, 05:19:42 pm »
Those are not not resistance values, they are voltage values as the meter is displaying the voltage drop of the device’s PN junction. You check both forward and reverse biased directions, forward bias with red probe on P (anode), black on N (cathode) show proper voltage drop for the material type, 0.6-0.7 volts for silicon, 0.2-0.3 volts for germanium. When you reverse the probes and reverse bias the part, the meter  should show INF with no current flowing.

When you see a very low voltage in both the forward and reverse directions, like you identified on the failed transistor, it is because the charge junction between the P and N sections has been destroyed and it is shorted/fused together.

Offline panossTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2020, 05:48:05 pm »
When you see a very low voltage in both the forward and reverse directions, like you identified on the failed transistor, it is because the charge junction between the P and N sections has been destroyed and it is shorted/fused together.
But I did not see a very low voltage in both directions. (we 're always talking about diode mode measurement)
As I mentioned in reply #123, 'in diode mode it looks fine'.

So the transistor looked fine when I measured it in diode mode, this is why I was thinking it 's ok. It was proved to be damaged only when I measured it in resistor measurement mode after Xavier 's suggestion.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf