Author Topic: 480VAC to 120VAC Power Supply  (Read 4393 times)

Offline andersendrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
480VAC to 120VAC Power Supply
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:42:39 pm »
So I've been looking around at different ways to step down 480VAC to 120VAC.  The general practice and what I have used in industry is to use a transformer.  I am wondering if there are any other sort of commercially available techniques?  Basically I don't want to give up that much real estate inside of my panel for the transformer and I don't want to mount it on the outside of the panel.  There are plenty of 480VAC to 24VDC switch mode power supply's on the market so I would think there should be something similar for 120VAC.

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 480VAC to 120VAC Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:28:20 pm »
A transformer.

Unless your power needs are tiny, the significant complexity of an AC-DC-AC converter are not warranted.
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:07:47 am »
You will have to use a plain transformer. Otherwise convert using a switchmode down to 24VDC as most industrial logic uses it, and use a second one to get your 5V and 3V3 rails.

Why do you need 120VAC anyway.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:29:26 am »
What sort of AC output do you need, does it have to be a nice sinusoid? If not how about a late firing triac or back to back thyristors?

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 06:40:25 am »
Using bidirectional switches, you can build a synchronous buck converter that works for positive or negative voltage or current.  A bypass cap on the high side, and a filter choke and cap on the low side (plus whatever EMI filtering..), is all that's needed besides the switches.

The output characteristic depends on the control method.  You could go for fixed ratio (fixed PWM), which will behave very much like a transformer, where regulation is proportional to losses.  Some active feedback could provide a slow servo, achieving AC voltage stabilization (like a variac with servo control).  Or a fast feedback loop could even provide limited power factor correction: especially if a four switch ("flying inductor") design is used to work against a filtered DC rail, in which case harmonics and reactive power can be drawn from the line, and compensated out.  DC current can also be drawn from the DC rail, or delivered to it, in which case the power is simply synchronously delivered into the grid.

But yeah, you use a transformer.  I don't know if this product even exists (the "switching variac" as it were).  There's absolutely nothing preventing its existence -- and it would be smaller, lighter, and could possibly be made more efficient as well -- but it will also be significantly more susceptible to transients (source and load), overheating (due to ambient or self heating), and general reliability concerns (i.e., it's not made of dumb wire and iron).  If it does exist, it could even be cheaper than the transformer (part of why linear power supplies aren't used anymore -- switchers, when produced in vast quantity, are very cheap), but it seems likely that the quantity is small (if at all), and the price high as a result.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 07:21:39 am »
I have seen small switchers that are made on a PCB designed to fit the footprint of the popular small 9VAC mains transformer, designed to be a drop in replacement giving a 9-12VDC output to the load. Of course not as reliable ( being made down to a cost and poorly at that, but they do at least to some extent work) and cheaper than the copper in the mains windings. I would also be very wary of any isolation claims.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf