Author Topic: Searching for Right Angle PCI (not PCIe) connector  (Read 1252 times)

Offline rfdesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Searching for Right Angle PCI (not PCIe) connector
« on: September 06, 2023, 01:05:51 pm »

I am hoping someone might have knowledge for a acquiring a right angle - through hole PCI connector.  I am attempting to 'squeeze' a PCI card into an old computer which will not support a vertical PCI card.  Height is very limited and the only solution is to use one of these connectors.  I found a photo of one, so they must have existed at one time in the past.  Since PCI technology has been retired, I am sure they are no longer manufactured but thought that maybe there is someone who knows where I might find a NOS sample.  I've been searching for some time but it is difficult to weed out the PCIe from the PCI connectors.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Re: Searching for Right Angle PCI (not PCIe) connector
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 01:50:47 pm »
Not sure where to get the connector you need but there were some circuit card with connector solutions. It simply looks like a PCI card that is only 1 inch high and plugs in to the PCI slot and then has a normal PCI connector soldered 'through hole' which of course provides the 90 degrees you are looking for. I have seen this weird arrangement where they stack up to 4 cards laying horizontally above each other. I think IBM and Dell used this trick.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline DTJ

• Super Contributor

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 02:55:04 pm »

I am hoping someone might have knowledge for a acquiring a right angle - through hole PCI connector.  I am attempting to 'squeeze' a PCI card into an old computer which will not support a vertical PCI card.  Height is very limited and the only solution is to use one of these connectors.  I found a photo of one, so they must have existed at one time in the past.  Since PCI technology has been retired, I am sure they are no longer manufactured but thought that maybe there is someone who knows where I might find a NOS sample.  I've been searching for some time but it is (Attachment Link) difficult to weed out the PCIe from the PCI connectors.
Thanks
Really? It took me 2 minutes to find them on Digi-Key; one is in stock: https://www.digikey.ch/en/products/detail/sullins-connector-solutions/RBB60DHAS-S1962/927344

Here's the whole results, to give you other part numbers to look at: https://www.digikey.ch/short/bv9wprcb
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 02:57:16 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: MarkS

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 02:57:31 pm »

I am hoping someone might have knowledge for a acquiring a right angle - through hole PCI connector.  I am attempting to 'squeeze' a PCI card into an old computer which will not support a vertical PCI card.  Height is very limited and the only solution is to use one of these connectors.  I found a photo of one, so they must have existed at one time in the past.  Since PCI technology has been retired, I am sure they are no longer manufactured but thought that maybe there is someone who knows where I might find a NOS sample.  I've been searching for some time but it is (Attachment Link) difficult to weed out the PCIe from the PCI connectors.
Thanks
Really? It took me 2 minutes to find them on Digi-Key; one is in stock: https://www.digikey.ch/en/products/detail/sullins-connector-solutions/RBB60DHAS-S1962/927344

2 minutes, huh? Took me 30 seconds!  ;D

Offline rfdesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 03:15:58 pm »

How embarrassing!  It is no fun being the fool!!!  I don't know how I missed these but I certainly did.
I appreciate you leading me to the 'water'.

Take care -

The following users thanked this post: MarkS, Smokey

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 11:09:50 pm »

How embarrassing!  It is no fun being the fool!!!  I don't know how I missed these but I certainly did.
I appreciate you leading me to the 'water'.

Take care -

You just have to get used to the filters on the various component sites. Search for "PCI connector", select the 32-bit versions (all voltages) and then choose "through hole, right angle" or similar. Don't search for a specific item, say "Right angle PCI connector", unless you're certain of the wording.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 11:33:56 pm »
I need to figure out which browser extension is causing Digikey’s parametric search to slow to a crawl. :p

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 11:35:24 pm »
You just have to get used to the filters on the various component sites. Search for "PCI connector", select the 32-bit versions (all voltages) and then choose "through hole, right angle" or similar. Don't search for a specific item, say "Right angle PCI connector", unless you're certain of the wording.
Quoted for truth.

It is well worth your time to deeply familiarize yourself with your preferred component vendor’s parametric search and product categories. Free text search is rarely as successful.

The following users thanked this post: MarkS

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 12:34:53 am »
I need to figure out which browser extension is causing Digikey’s parametric search to slow to a crawl. :p

Digikey seems rather tempermental. Some days it's fast and other days is painfully slow. Today it was fast.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 08:37:27 am »

Digikey seems rather tempermental. Some days it's fast and other days is painfully slow. Today it was fast.
Maybe, but I know that in my case it’s due to browser extension(s).

Of course, I’d rather just the old, more compact view that was filtered server-side.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 11:53:41 am »
I have a box full of those, some with even two sockets BUT unfortunately there here in the UK so not much use to you :(

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2023, 12:05:25 pm »
They're somewhat  common on old 1U server computers, since obviously the card can't fit vertical, so there's a 90deg PCI to PCI adaptor that plugs into the motherboard and allows 1 horizontally mounted card.

2U servers can have them too, but they're often for double PCI slots into one slot on the MB using a custom connector.  So they're not a useful source of PCI to PCI adaptors.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf