Author Topic: repurposing a Metcal SP200  (Read 1178 times)

Offline burnandmeltTopic starter

repurposing a Metcal SP200
« on: March 15, 2021, 03:22:36 pm »
I have a Metcal SP200 that isn't doing much

I came across a Thermaltronics DS-Kit-3 (a desoldering gun that uses the same SSC tips, 470KHz tech etc.)
The DS-Kit-3 works with their TMT-2000 series units, which are stated to be 50W, and the Metcal SP200 is 37W or something like that...

had an idea after I saw user t0m's post from last month with the SP200 schematic, and his BOM/notes regarding what his unit did/didn't have concerning the schematic.

Any reason why, after changing connectors, or making a small adapter pigtail, that I couldn't repurpose this unit into a desoldering station?

TIA

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Re: repurposing a Metcal SP200
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 05:36:54 pm »
Hello: Amazing to see these old SP-200 still in use, I was the designer in 1989-1993.

My SP-200s and tips are still going strong,

Bon Chance

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: hugo

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 10:26:33 pm »
Hello: Amazing to see these old SP-200 still in use, I was the designer in 1989-1993.

Bon Chance

Jon

Great that you designed it, but, question wasn't really answered.
Metcal SP-200 is rated at 35W maximum. If OP connects it to a tip that will attempt to draw 50W, will the unit self limit to that 35W level and all will be OK?

This would be the case with the Metcal PS5200 and PS2E for example, as they have different power ratings but use the same tips.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:36:28 pm »
Metcal SP-200 is rated at 35W maximum. If OP connects it to a tip that will attempt to draw 50W, will the unit self limit to that 35W level and all will be OK?

This would be the case with the Metcal PS5200 and PS2E for example, as they have different power ratings but use the same tips.

hello - yes this is the question Im hoping to get answered.  I have a line on a deal for a lightly used Thermaltronics desoldering kit as described above, but it's still at over $200, and I don't want to throw that money away if it isn't going to work...

very much appreciate all the responses

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 07:30:12 pm »
figured I'd try another bump to see if anyone can help

I can follow traces on a schematic, but I don't know much beyond basic 12V circuits, otherwise I'd do the legwork and post it

TIA

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 05:59:50 pm »
I was able to find a Thermaltronics rep and engage.  He was quite helpful, and took the time to converse with a sales engineer or product person, and provided some good info.

The SP200 WILL drive their DS-kit-3 desoldering gun(DS-GUN-3) and related desoldering tips, but the reduced RF power means that the inserted tip, depending on it's characteristics, could reheat at a lower rate.  Thus, any application that pulls a lot of heat from the tip will take a bit longer to get back to spec. temperature.  For me, the use as a desoldering tool not in mass production/rework makes this usable.

The rep. was even kind enough to send me a blank of the cable (DS-HPC-3) connector used in the kit, at the the powersupply-end of the cable.  I should be able to make a small pigtail to convert the connectors, if needed...

anyway, ever forward!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:01:43 pm by burnandmelt »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 05:18:49 pm »

Mine still works as new, easily 20 years on.

One thing I noticed: even with the power switched off, there is an audible hum from the power supply unit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf