Author Topic: Relay with resistive rated contacts switching inductive load  (Read 1180 times)

Offline JesterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Can anyone hazard a guess as to how many operations could be expected from this relay: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/418/NG_DS_RT2_1014-735741.pdf

When powering a 120V, 2A nominal refrigerator?

The relay will provide power from one of two sources, common to the refrigerator load.

I would think when the main source fails,  that on power-up the refrigerator would not instantaneously start the compressor, and that the refrigerators control contact would actually switch the start current a moment (or later if it happens to be off).

On transfer back to the main source this little relay could be breaking the inductive compressor current.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:51:25 pm by Jester »

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
Re: Relay with resistive rated contacts switching inductive load
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 05:17:34 pm »
Between 0 and 1.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 06:13:40 pm »
That seems overly pessimistic?

The data sheet for this particular relay only has a resistive rating, however looking at another relay with similar resistive rating that does provide an inductive switching rating, see below and appears to be capable of switching about 3A @125Vac Cos Φ = 0.4, 500,000 operations.

I looked at several contact curves and the rule of thumb seems to be about 1/2 rated (voltage and current) for Cos Φ = 0.4 or in some cases just 1/2 rated voltage for inductive load.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:51:19 pm by Jester »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 06:32:09 pm »
The problem with inductive loads is voltage spikes when switching off, so add a MOV to the output or across the contacts to suppress that.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 06:47:19 pm »
The problem with inductive loads is voltage spikes when switching off, so add a MOV to the output or across the contacts to suppress that.

We do have a MOV.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 06:53:31 pm »
I would think when the main source fails,  that on power-up the refrigerator would not instantaneously start the compressor, and that the refrigerators control contact would actually switch the start current a moment (or later if it happens to be off).
I am trying to parse this and have no idea what it might mean.

At any rate, although I would prefer to use a bigger one, I would not be afraid of using that relay. You can add a snubber and/or mov.

And if you want to get really fancy, hold it closed until the compressor shuts off by itself and then release the relay. That way the problem disappears.

All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

The following users thanked this post: Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 07:06:27 pm »
I am trying to parse this and have no idea what it might mean.

At any rate, although I would prefer to use a bigger one, I would not be afraid of using that relay. You can add a snubber and/or mov.

And if you want to get really fancy, hold it closed until the compressor shuts off by itself and then release the relay. That way the problem disappears.

The relay has 2 form C contacts, the load (refrigerator) is connected to the common of the contacts and the NO and NC contacts are connected to the two sources (main and backup).
The relay only operates when the main power fails (which is rarely).

The relay contacts should be fully closed prior to inrush, and hopefully the MOV will help when the relay switches back, again this only occurs rarely
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:08:11 pm by Jester »

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:57 pm »

When powering a 120V, 2A nominal refrigerator?
The inductive part may be less of a problem than the starting surge.  A 2 A refrigerator is pretty small.  Is it a Peltier-type or a compressor type?

Anyway, assuming a compressor, the starting surge will likely be 12 - 15 A for a fraction of a second, and the refrigerator, unless it has digital controls, WILL start immediately when power is applied, if the thermostat requests cooling at that time.

The inductive kick can be taken car of with a series RC supressor or MOV across the contacts.

Jon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf