Author Topic: Mini Ethernet  (Read 5214 times)

Offline PULSSAIRTopic starter

• Contributor
Mini Ethernet
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:56:57 am »
Hey everybody, I just want to ask if there is a mini ethernet standard. The standard rj45 connector is too thick. I need something thin(8mm max). The alternative is to use a header with separate magnetics, but i would like to know if there is a standard for smaller ethernet jack.

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
Re: Mini Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:23:02 am »
Closest I've seen is the TE/AMP SDL connectors.
http://www.te.com/catalog/menu/en/10723
http://www.digikey.com.au/product-search/en/connectors-interconnects/sdl-semconn-connectors/1442744
I'm not sure it's a 'standard' for Ethernet connection, but I have seen it on Cisco/Tandberg video conference gear to provide a network connection.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:40:14 am »
Thanks for response. This is too thick(the plug is almost good, but the connector is 13mm(almost as thick as rj45). They should do somethink similar but much thinner(specialy for the new ultrabooks and thin laptops). Before you start shouting that they have wireless and stuff, I just want to say that i will not give up to cable over wireless(when i need a fast secure and stable connection).

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:45:45 am »
Providing you maintain the twist in the cable as much as possible any eight-way connector should work, even an eight-pin DIP header which will probably be about 2,5mm thick. Things get more complicated if you want a latching connector though and I remember some that were about 5mm thick that connected a dongle to a PCMCIA network card.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:29:38 am »
You can put ethernet down any connector, maintain your twisted pair, I have used Molexes in the past and all sorts of other mini connectors without any issues.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:59:49 am »
I know, i will use a molex too. I just wanted to see if there is a connector for it. And the question is: Why don't they make a mini ethernet standard connector  :-//(they could easily cut the rj45 in half, and for the connector, move the LEDs and the lock on the sides, so they can easily make a 5mm connector). :-+

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:01:16 pm »
And the question is: Why don't they make a mini ethernet standard connector  :-//
Likely because there is not enough demand to bother with it: most people who insist on having thin-and-light laptops prefer not having to tow cables around and will use WiFi while people with thicker laptops simply have no reason to care since their laptop is more than thick enough to accommodate an RJ45.

Personally, I would prefer sparing myself the trouble of adding yet another specialty/niche cable to my inventory.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 10:52:42 pm »
Not standard, but for < 8mm thick, if it needs to be decently robust, I'd look at a Lemo connectors. www.lemo.com/en/standard-range/b-connector-0  If youre only using 10/100, you only need a 4 pin connector. The EPG.00.304.HLN is only 7mm above the PCB surface, and the OD of the mating connector (FGG.00.304 )  is 6.4mm. However you gotta find a cable that <5.5mm to fit in the cord grip on the connector.

However you could get cheaty and feed only the 2 pairs of standard cat 5e into the connector, use one of the collets that have a lip for a strain relief boot, and some adhesive heat shrink to secure the cable jacket.  Use FEP insulated cat5 if you dont hate the people assembling the cable harnesses, PVC insulation will pull back when soldered, really, really bad.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:55:23 pm by ConKbot »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 05:00:11 am »
Back in the days, 3Com made a pop out RJ45 jack for their PCMCIA Ethernet cards.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline kolbep

• Frequent Contributor
    • ShoutingElectronics.com
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 05:25:46 am »
Might need something like they used here, it pops out of the card :

or some type of pigtail :
====================================
www.ShoutingElectronics.com Don't just talk about Electronics, SHOUT ABOUT IT! Electronics Blog Site and Youtube Channel

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 07:04:24 am »
If you compare the area of an RJ45 Magjack plug with a small header with separate magnetics you'd probably choose the RJ45 connector.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 07:17:40 am »
If you compare the area of an RJ45 Magjack plug with a small header with separate magnetics you'd probably choose the RJ45 connector.
In my case is not about the area, it's about the height. I have like 8 square cm for magnetics and the connector. It's set anyway, I will use a header with some sort of locking(I have to search to see what I find) and and external cable to convert to a regular Ethernet jack.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:58:39 am »
What about this lowered model: http://beta.dacomwest.de/pdf/rjsmt007na2.pdf
Or mini-hdmi.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:06:11 am by Jeroen3 »

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 08:36:28 am »
Might need something like they used here, it pops out of the card :

It was called the X-jack if I recall correctly. It was also the worst connector ever designed.
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:12 am »
What about this lowered model: http://beta.dacomwest.de/pdf/rjsmt007na2.pdf
Or mini-hdmi.
The mini HDMI is not an option because I also have a HDMI and the last thing i want is somebody pluging in a mini HDMI cable in the "ethernet jack".
The other connector might work, if i could actualy get it. I can't find it on digikey, mouser, TME and also did a quick search on the manufacturer's page.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 01:44:41 pm »
I always rant at devices re-applying the RJ45 connector as non-ethernet. But doing otherwise might be just as bad.
Your only standardized option is a USB Type C Ethernet adapter. (Or USB 2.0 Micro OTG)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf