Author Topic: Desk Lamp Wiring UK  (Read 6611 times)

Offline urbisTopic starter

• Supporter
Desk Lamp Wiring UK
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:53:11 am »
Hello,

Seen some desk lamps and floorstanding lamps in the UK with clear mains cabling and a clear UK plug.

No transformer, so direct mains.

However, the conductors aren't colour coded.

I expected this was illegal, but then I considered mains fairy lights are the same - no colour coding?

Does anyone have a link to anything which can confirm definitively whether they are or are not illegal?

Thanks!

This is the type of cable:

http://electricsandlighting.co.uk/white-black-clear-flex/1862-clear-2-core-075mm-flex-sold-per-metre.html

Offline alanb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Desk Lamp Wiring UK
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:13:38 pm »
I think that the critical point is whether there are any exposed metal parts. If there are not you can use two core cable. Unfortunately I can't track down the relevant part of the wiring regulations at the moment.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:38 pm »
There are exposed metal parts, but the lamp does have a double insulated logo on the bottom.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »
I don't think there are any standards or regs concerning colours of wiring for plug-in appliances - why would there be?
Safety-wise, live and neutral are regarded as equally hazardous. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »
There are, however, requirements for double insulated cable, afaik. Which the clear stuff almost invariably is not.

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 01:43:06 pm »
Actually, it is double insulated cable, but both inner cores of insulation, and the outer are clear.

Perhaps the earthing is more concerning, these are metal lamps, but with plastic lampholders.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:46:05 pm »
Perhaps the earthing is more concerning, these are metal lamps, but with plastic lampholders.

This is quite normal.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:10:46 am »
So long as the metal is double insulated from the mains then it's ok.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 08:42:33 am »
That looks as ordinary as they come. Electric lamps have been made that way since we first got electricity into our homes.
I've never heard of any requirement for color codes, etc. for bog-standard lamp cord.  Are we over-reacting here?   :scared:

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:52:05 am »
AFAIK it is even standard that with a normal (screw) lightbulb the screw itself should be neutral wired and the tip should be the live.
In Europe mainland a lot of countries have symmetrical mains plugs so you never know if this is the case with pluggable equipment.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 01:34:23 pm »
I'd be asking where the appliance was certified (check the numbers on the base).
Quite possible that Wan Hung Loh doesn't use correct dual-insulated cable or lampholder with double insulated entry and terminals.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 06:36:42 pm »
AFAIK it is even standard that with a normal (screw) lightbulb the screw itself should be neutral wired and the tip should be the live.
In Europe mainland a lot of countries have symmetrical mains plugs so you never know if this is the case with pluggable equipment.

That's the theory, but it never works out that way in practice.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 07:11:12 pm »
That cable is sold here as speaker cord, as it is only a single insulted wire. I often find that you have loose strands that poke out through the PVC sheath, and this can be a rather enlightening experience if you come across it.

Most common use though is in the lovely safe Jondolo wiring scheme, where it will be used at any current up to glowing red hot. Power and light from the same cable, a great SA invention. Also available in copper coated steel, at a great cost saving, and as well copper coated aluminium  which is cheaper than copper but harder to solder to.

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 07:55:15 pm »
I found some 0.75mm clear flex here : https://www.electric-cable.com/decorative-cable.php

Quote: Wiring of glass and metal chandelier arms to the lamp holder. Where space is strictly limited and cable is subject to heat.

The cable is rated at -50 C to +200 C , i found some on ebay that was only rated at 60 C

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:44 am »
That looks as ordinary as they come. Electric lamps have been made that way since we first got electricity into our homes.
I've never heard of any requirement for color codes, etc. for bog-standard lamp cord.  Are we over-reacting here?   :scared:

While that is still quite normal in the USA, it ceased to be normal in the UK some time ago. I remember transparent two-core flex on low power devices like lamps and radios in the 60's, but such laissez faire is no longer permitted in mains wiring.

I used to play with two pin mains plugs that had twist-off tops (no screw driver required). You just unscrewed the top and the bare terminals were exposed. They were remarkably convenient for quick hook-ups, but officious people would have apoplexy if they were found on the market now...

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 06:34:04 am »

I used to play with two pin mains plugs that had twist-off tops (no screw driver required). You just unscrewed the top and the bare terminals were exposed. They were remarkably convenient for quick hook-ups, but officious people would have apoplexy if they were found on the market now...

The trick for a quick hook up with qa modern UK plug is to push a screwdriver into the earth which opens up the live and neutral. Push the wires into the live and neutral then extract the screwdriver and the safety springs will close the live and neutral holes and grip the wire.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 06:44:09 am »
Same in Holland, some loudspeaker wire has an isolation as low as 60V , not very good to use for 230VAC mains.
So all mains cable has color encoded wiring.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf