Author Topic: OSHW USB to GPIB Adapter - Updates  (Read 7084 times)

Offline scasagrandeTopic starter

• Contributor
    • My Blog
OSHW USB to GPIB Adapter - Updates
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:58:57 pm »
EDIT Now for sale! See https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/for-sale-oshw-gpibusb-adapter/

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I posted about my OSHW GPIBUSB adapter.

Last time I posted I was getting ready to release the source files, but then my poor monitor died, keeping me from continuing to work. While I replaced it, I decided to hold off on the release. Why? Well because some of the changes required testing on the revB hardware. I didn't want to throw code out there that may or may not have worked at all. So, I decided to first verify that everything worked, then release it.

Because of this decision, things were delayed quite a bit. It took me a while to get everything going. Part of the process was founding my business, Galvant Industries. And of course with that came setting up accounts with all sorts of various other companies. I did a video 2 weeks ago (episode 9) where I talked about my business and where I want it to go.

Last week I started building up a few GPIBUSB adapters. I have 10 complete, with another 5 nearly done. I haven't gotten much soldering done this week for a few legitimate reasons, one of which was that I broke my network driver on ubuntu, right as I was in the process of releasing the source files!

Speaking of the source files, everything can now be found at github.com/Galvant. If there is anything that I missed, or anything that I failed to do to comply with the OSHW definition, please let me know! You can contact me through a variety of ways. However, before I hear it, yes my code is a tad messy.  Eventually I'll clean things up a bit. If you have suggestions to add functionality, or speed improvements, please let me know.

For an overview of what I changed from revA to revB, I put out a video last weekend detailing the changes. If you haven't seen my previous thread, and are interested in what the project is about, check out episode 1 & 2 on my youtube channel.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:27:38 am by scasagrande »

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Re: OSHW USB to GPIB Adapter - Updates
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:29:08 am »
The adapter is looking good.

Make sure you let us know when it is on sale.

Are you open-sourcing any of the project? Not that I have a problem if you choose not to.

Richard.

• Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:45 pm »
The adapter is looking good.

Make sure you let us know when it is on sale.

Are you open-sourcing any of the project? Not that I have a problem if you choose not to.

Richard.

It certainly is open source hardware! You can find all of the source at github.com/Galvant. Everything is released under a CC3.0-Sharealike-Attribution license.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:55:17 pm »
Thanks for sharing this, thread bookmarked !

About the schematic, please convert it into PDF.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »

It certainly is open source hardware! You can find all of the source at github.com/Galvant. Everything is released under a CC3.0-Sharealike-Attribution license.

Steven, apologies for not going back to read you post before asking that question. All the answers were there.

Richard.

• Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 01:59:02 pm »

Steven, apologies for not going back to read you post before asking that question. All the answers were there.

Richard.

Not a problem Richard!

Thanks for sharing this, thread bookmarked !

About the schematic, please convert it into PDF.

I've gone ahead and added a PS and PDF version of the schematic.

• Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 12:26:24 am »
Adapter is now for sale!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/for-sale-oshw-gpibusb-adapter/

Thanks everyone for their support and feedback throughout this process :)

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 12:59:09 am »
Well done Steve! I hope the initial sales go well. There is nothing else that is decent at that price.

I have seen Chinese clones of Agilent adapters starting at about $120 and then you have to stuff around with the Agilent drivers and hope it will actually work.

Richard.

• Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 04:21:33 am »
Thanks Richard for the kind words. I also hope everything goes well!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf