Author Topic: Lab power supply  (Read 7672 times)

Offline lastdeathTopic starter

• Contributor
Lab power supply
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:52:00 pm »
Hi guys, i just started a eletronics classes, and the teacher asked to make a power supply, with +15v and -15v. Can someone send me a power supply design with theses specs? i want a power supply that i can choose the output voltage, with a led indicator and fuse to protection.

sorry my english.

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
Re: Lab power supply
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:01:57 pm »
Well... no. Where would the fun be in doing that? What is your own thinking - why did the teacher give you this assignment. 2 guesses: either go and buy one or _design_ one. Now i think it was the latter. But do correct me if i was wrong.
If you ask specific questions i am sure there are many here who are willing to answer. But it is you who are studying so you should understand what you are doing, not just copy a design someone else made.
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:09:59 pm »
First Google for 'voltage regulator'. And then look for application notes.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:33:14 pm »
here kid, to your specification... Please Check My Simple PSU Circuit that was when your "uncle" learn how to do it few months back, draw crappy schematics and stuffs... you will need a bit of translation since the schematics are so crappy, but when you have finished, you'll learn to appreciate what it can do, as your teacher has foreseen perharps. now take that away to your bench and study it, pass the exam and be a good engineer ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Re: Lab power supply
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:09:48 pm »
Hi. Could someone please send me detailed schematics for a flux capacitor? If you could build it and test it out it would be appreciated. Oh and if you have a Delorean that would be nice too.

Ditto

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 01:22:18 am »
One detailed flux capacitor schematic coming up.  You'll have to copy it though because all I have is this image.  Sorry.

Edit:
Oh I forgot about the DeLorean.. here you go...
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=90210&endYear=2013&startYear=1981&makeCode1=DELOREAN&sellerTypes=b&searchRadius=0&mmt=%5BDELOREAN%5B%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=328239711&Log=0

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:25:27 am by Smokey »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:03:04 am »
nevermind them kid. they liked to ask such question when they were in school, thats why they are here keep asking but no answer. why? they thinked too much complicated where the answer is obvious. fill a cap with no-water flux and inject it with magic voltage they should get flux capacitor and smash your car with lorry you'll get that horizontal wheels delorean, connect the HV cable left to right then boom off you go, you must also design a helmet that connect left to right. your question is a valid one, and also dont forget to look up LM317 and LM337 datasheet, they are Hollywood superstar in Silicon Valley.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline nerdyHippy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:58:47 am »
I designed such a supply for you. It is battery operated. Each battery in the schematic represents a 1.5V cell; be sure to use fresh ones otherwise the voltage will drop lower than ±15V.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:31:50 am »
lol, i didnt expect so many trolls, i just asked because the objective of this power supply is use in our labs, which starts monday, the teacher asked us to search online and build a power supply, the objective is the build part and dont the scheme... so, i thought that asking here, i could get a good design for a good power supply. But thanks anyway, i will google for power supply and get one.

Offline Shuggsy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 06:57:07 am »
lol, i didnt expect so many trolls, i just asked because the objective of this power supply is use in our labs, which starts monday, the teacher asked us to search online and build a power supply, the objective is the build part and dont the scheme... so, i thought that asking here, i could get a good design for a good power supply. But thanks anyway, i will google for power supply and get one.

What do you have as the source for the power supply? Do you have positive and negative DC sources? If so, you could make a quite simple supply with linear regulators like the LM317 for the +15 and LM337 for the -15. Any specs like required output current? Adjustable voltage levels? Current-limiting?

Googling will likely get you some simple kits you can build up. for example, there's a breadboard power supply kit that can go up to ~19.5V DC (given a 20V DC input) on Ladyada.net.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 08:46:30 am »

What do you have as the source for the power supply? Do you have positive and negative DC sources? If so, you could make a quite simple supply with linear regulators like the LM317 for the +15 and LM337 for the -15. Any specs like required output current? Adjustable voltage levels? Current-limiting?

Googling will likely get you some simple kits you can build up. for example, there's a breadboard power supply kit that can go up to ~19.5V DC (given a 20V DC input) on Ladyada.net.

i found this scheme on the net, and i think i will build it, but i need put fuse to protect, leds to show when is on, in this scheme i can control the voltage, but i want a better method to do it, i ill build this inside of a wood box, so if is possible i want control the voltage externally.
http://www.te1.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/337_317_fonte_simetrica_ajustavel_esquema.png

the source will be the power line, in this case a 120V 60hz voltage. Dont need current control, just the voltage is good. i will use a 120-15 transformer with the middle tap to 0v.

again sorry for the english.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 09:05:30 am »
i thought that asking here, i could get a good design for a good power supply.
no offense kid, but to get a good design at beginner level uncle can only give you some advice. either buy a branded ready made one, or spend more than that in term of time and money, buy your parts and start tinkering, regardless whether you want to make your own novel design, or if you are getting a good schematics from the net that you can slap in.

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:44 am »
Im going to quote myself from a post a while back:

A few links to LM317 / LM337 based power supplies:

I wouldn't really class these as (super) rugged LAB PSUs but rather general purpose, easy to build and widely applicable PSUs.

Jumper One has a two part video tutorial on how to set up a LM317 PSU.
You can find it here : http://jumperone.com/2011/08/lm317-adjustable-psu/

Variable Dual Lab Power Supply
http://sound.westhost.com/project44.htm

My version of Project 44 (see attached pictures).

Cheers,
Florian

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 04:49:00 pm »
AcHmed99, considering he said "sorry my english", I wouldn't be surprised if the phrasing was unintentional. I try to avoid tearing new assholes for people who include English disclaimers until I'm damn sure I know what they meant.

lastdeath, at least the responses were funny. I don't mind people mocking me if they at least bother to make it funny so we both get something out of it  :)
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 03:45:42 am »
"sorry my english", I wouldn't be surprised if the phrasing was unintentional. I try to avoid tearing new assholes for people who include English disclaimers until I'm damn sure I know what they meant.
brilliant! it should be reflected in my signature by now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf