Author Topic: On using a single Ethernet cable for communication and two activity LEDs  (Read 112 times)

Online squadchannelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • deepl translate user
thinking about connecting ethernet cables within an enclosure.
cable is a short length(about 60-70cm). from the RJ45 on the board to the RJ45 on the rear panel of the enclosure.

would like to have wiring for communications and wiring for LEDs on the RJ45 port, but we would like to do this with a single Ethernet cable (don't want to increase the other wiring for the LEDs).
doesn't need to be fast; 10 base is fine.

So I thought of using 2 pairs for signals and assigning(=Cat3) the other 2 pairs to each pair for link and activity LED.

Good idea? Wouldn't there be crosstalk or other problems?.  :o

considering cables with shields used on each pair. LAPP 2170934
https://products.lappgroup.com/online-catalogue/data-communication-systems-for-ethernet-technology/industrial-ethernet-cat7/cables-for-flexible-applications/etherline-cat7-flex.html?tx_setuproducts_show%5Bguid%5D=87839343-0023-8390-ffcd-1bc9cf26bfeb&cHash=855822328aa368b03741dbc6c8d7dc22

MOD:
added diagram
« Last Edit: Today at 02:37:12 am by squadchannel »

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Add 100nF capacitors on the source end, after the current limiting resistors. It would slow down the edges a lot but would still appear instant visually.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online squadchannelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • deepl translate user
added a diagram.
I meant that I want to put the LEDs controlled by the PHY on the Ethernet cable.

Now that I think of it, I might die if lightning strikes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf