Author Topic: NTC Thermistor resistance (Li-Ion Charging)  (Read 7721 times)

Offline SenSeSTopic starter

• Contributor
NTC Thermistor resistance (Li-Ion Charging)
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:45:08 am »
I'm charging a 7.2V Lithium Ion battery back with the TI bq2057. In the datasheet of the battery pack it says that a 10k NST thermistor is included for temperature sensing. To connect this to the bq2057 I need to know both the cold and hot temperature resistance of the thermistor however and these are not listed in the datasheet. Are these standard values for a 10k NTC thermistor or how can I find these?

Datasheet battery pack: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1806913.pdf
Datasheet bq2057 charge IC: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq2057.pdf (see pages 12-13 for thermistor connection)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: NTC Thermistor resistance (Li-Ion Charging)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:56:35 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:58:49 am by prasimix »

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:44:26 pm »
10K NTC usually has 3977K Thermistor Beta Value

It looks like it depends sometimes on manufacturer parts number like those ones 10k NTC Thermistor by muRata (page 9 10k Betas ) - there is for B25-100 something close to this you posted 3944 K, but another 10kr part has 3455K  from the same manufacturer ???

Looking for datasheet for  NTC 10k 1% made by SR Passives to find A,B,C,D parameters and implement (compute) in my MPU this way for fast
Measuring Temperature using an NTC Thermistor using an Abbreviated Lookup Table , but look up table will be stored in flash program memory rather than EEPROM  :popcorn:
I've made look up table based on A,B,C,D method linked above as well as B value computation using this NTC parameter calculator so it will be interesting to see which will be more accurate  in real tests ;)

Update: I've found that for example this NTC made by SR Passives  NTCM-HP-10K-1%  -55÷125°C; 50mW has B constant 3380 K ,so as expected it depends on manufacturer, part number, etc...

However, for battery protection probably high accuracy not needed to estimate when it gets hot...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:04:12 pm by eneuro »
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline crazy horse

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 12:16:06 am »
Measure at 25 deg. Put in oven and heat up to 45deg and measure. Put in fridge and cool down to 3deg (or however cold it is) and measure.

Obviously need decent thermometer.

And it will take a while for the temperature to stabilise. Soak at the temperature for 2 hours at least.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:18:58 pm »
Measure ... Put ... and measure. Put .... and measure.

In the case of 1% NTC I've shown above, it looks like its 3380K given by manufacturer is fine, since measured 11300 Ohm at measured ~22 Celcius with China multimeter, so NTC temperature sensor should give similar temperature when look up table will be used  on MPU based on ADC value 543 in this case 8)

So, it confirms B constant can differ between NTC sensors of course, so if we do not know its value lets make a few measurements and calculate, than with look table if possible it can be very fast temperature readings while we do not need make those complicated calculations.

BTW: I've found Arduino sketch, where someone used floating point operations with C log() math function for NTC calculation-I wonder how much MPU clocks they needed to convert ADC reading to temperature in Celcius this way?  :palm:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:21:29 pm by eneuro »
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline gcgrant

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 12:22:57 am »
1176912-0

Thermistor Selection Guide for Texas Instruments
Advanced Fuel Gauges
https://www.ti.com.cn/cn/lit/an/slua621/slua621.pdf

Thermistor Coefficient Calculator for TI Advanced Fuel
Gauges

https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua398/slua398.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf