Author Topic: New lab build...  (Read 6676 times)

Offline norELTopic starter

• Contributor
New lab build...
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:06:25 pm »
*UPDATE*

Been some while since my last update and there have been some changes to my new lab in the mean time(pic`s).
A bit messy now because I am moving in on the same time as I do project`s, but soon finished :) 

Marius

I`m building a new lab in my Dark Norwegian Cellar from before 1900 sometime...
Going to post photos of my progress here.
Comment`s are welcome :)

Marius

*Image one: the cellar is messy of all sort`s of thing that is stored for the winter, but here will my new lab be. Believe it or not.

*Image two: the wall between the lab and the rest of the cellar is rising.

*Image three: all the wall`s are getting insulation and new look`s. And the floor where it was potato storage room in year`s back in time have got 10cm insulation and moisture protection underneath ( have not decided floor type yet ) .

*Image four: The insulation in place and the wall panels are soon finished.

*Image five: Paint job. Three wall`s white and one black.

*Image six: building new work bench

*Image seven to ten: the room is filling up. A bit messy still, but in good progress to be soon finished.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:51:18 pm by norEL »

Offline hacklordsniper

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
Re: New lab build...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:32:22 am »
Do you expect moisture problems? Or will you isolate the walls?
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:06:12 am »
At least he wont have to worry about static electricity :P
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline hacklordsniper

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:59:01 am »

Moisture is quite large worry. Especially in health reasons

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:35:51 pm »
Do you expect moisture problems? Or will you isolate the walls?

The cellar is luckily dry like a dessert. Even after a rainy season it is dry. All the  wall`s get insulation and new look`s to them. This is going to be a new lab and not an old cellar with bad smell and dirty wall`s  :D
And there will be good ventilation!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 05:38:10 pm »

The only static electricity in that cellar is from the old spirits that live there  ;D

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 05:52:35 pm »
The only static electricity in that cellar is from the old spirits that live there  ;D
you are going to annoy them. they dont like electromagnet.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 03:40:34 am »
FWIW, I run a small dehumidifier in my lab at all times, though it doesn't turn on in the winter. Your equipment will thank you for keeping the humidity low by lasting longer! This is especially true for older tube equipment. I believe it was Jim Williams that said, no home is complete without a lab.

Offline hacklordsniper

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:13:59 am »
FWIW, I run a small dehumidifier in my lab at all times, though it doesn't turn on in the winter. Your equipment will thank you for keeping the humidity low by lasting longer! This is especially true for older tube equipment. I believe it was Jim Williams that said, no home is complete without a lab.
Are you running electric or chemical dehumifidier? I opted for the second but its verry anoying sometimes.

alm

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 12:37:03 pm »
Lowering humidity will also makes static discharges more likely, decreasing the average life of your DUT.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:25:46 pm »
Lowering humidity will also makes static discharges more likely, decreasing the average life of your DUT.
make it around 60-90%. buy a hygrometer to stay alert, very cheap china cheapo one will do. i just checked Arizona's RH is worst around 14-40% where i'm informed by a friend is the worst ESD case... http://www.shorstmeyer.com/wxfaqs/humidity/rh.html
too low RH = ESD, too high + cold (>95% like in a toilet or washroom) you'll risk bronchitis or pneumonia.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 08:01:09 pm »

Thank you for the tip. I have been thinking about dehumidifier, but I will first measure the humidity when the lab is done and see if there is need for one before I buy.
I agree with Jim Williams  :D

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 08:02:57 pm »
make it around 60-90%. buy a hygrometer to stay alert, very cheap china cheapo one will do. i just checked Arizona's RH is worst around 14-40% where i'm informed by a friend is the worst ESD case... http://www.shorstmeyer.com/wxfaqs/humidity/rh.html
too low RH = ESD, too high + cold (>95% like in a toilet or washroom) you'll risk bronchitis or pneumonia.

This is good info too  have in mind! Thanks for sharing :)

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 07:58:54 pm »
UPDATE

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 10:45:11 pm »
i only have one question, what goodies do you have locked up in that cabinet with the keylock :P
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:28 am »
i only have one question, what goodies do you have locked up in that cabinet with the keylock :P

Nothing exciting in that cabinet.. :) I store all my glue, etchant, unprinted pcb`s (dark place in the cabinet), thermal paste and other chemicals in there, so my two kid`s don`t touch it. There will be a sign on the cabinet soon as I get one.
Think all with kid`s should have a locked cabinet for storing chemical`s :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf