Author Topic: 2 VOMs = 2 different Diode Mode voltages...  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Holes FlowTopic starter

• Contributor
2 VOMs = 2 different Diode Mode voltages...
« on: December 27, 2021, 12:50:42 am »
[There are a variety of posts on DM (Diode Mode), and some even talk about voltages, but none address this issue directly There are even web sites I've seen where someone has written down all the DM voltages at key points of working electronics...]

One meter's DM "output" is 6vdc, and another's is 3vdc...

Story: I bought a friend with a phone repair store a Siglent Technologies SDM3045X for Christmas, as he only uses this minimalistic analog power supply and a 'DM' on it. At this time, I do not know the brand/model, but will update when I find it.

Here is the rub: Siglents seem to put out 6vdc in DM, and his old/existing "meter" puts out 3vdc. I just measured the normal leads with another VOM for each meter. Why should this matter? Well, he works on cell phones, and a LOT of the parts in those will toast over 5vdc. He hasn't modified this existing meter.

He needs a true VOM desperately, but when he tries the DM on the Siglent, it's way too 'hot'. Some might not know that the MBs often have 7 layers, and are almost all full of 0201s.

So I'm thinking I need to ween him off this old piece of equipment, and somehow modify the rig to allow a much lower DM output. Perhaps aa tiny box with a switch to pass the leads through, so it could be turned off for non-DM uses...

What do you think? Would a simple resistor bridge do the trick?

P.S. I never use DM myself.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: 2 VOMs = 2 different Diode Mode voltages...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 01:33:36 am »
He needs a true VOM desperately, but when he tries the DM on the Siglent, it's way too 'hot'. Some might not know that the MBs often have 7 layers, and are almost all full of 0201s.

This is interesting... has he damaged a MB using the Siglent's diode test function?

Most digital multimeters use a constant current source in diode test mode.

On page 33 (physical page 46) of the Siglent DM3045 user manual it states that the diode test current is 1mA:

https://siglentna.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/DataSheet/SDM3045x_UserManual_UM06034-E01A.pdf

A higher test voltage enables the measurement of higher voltage LEDs and zener diodes. It's the low test current that prevents damage to the diode being tested.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 01:39:05 am by ledtester »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 03:59:06 pm »
A higher test voltage enables the measurement of higher voltage LEDs and zener diodes. It's the low test current that prevents damage to the diode being tested.

Even at a low test current, reverse breakdown can damage PN junctions.

Very old multimeters had a compliance of 10 volts but this was reduced to about 3 volts to prevent damaging the base-emitter junction of bipolar transistors, while still being high enough to test LEDs.  Later after blue LEDs became common, this voltage was raised to about 5 volts so that they could be tested also.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 04:38:07 pm »
Some might not know that the MBs often have 7 layers, and are almost all full of 0201s.
So what? Those have nothing whatsoever to do with the question at hand.

(Also, other than single-sided boards, board layers always come in even numbers: 2, 4, 6, ... 70+.)

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 01:47:12 am »
Found the meter in use...

It is a 15V 2A ZHAOXIN RF-1502T High quality Power supply for mobile phone repair DC Power Supply model RF-1501T. I found one on alibaba here.

It has a test knob on the left, and the farthest left position of it is the diode/continuity mode:

I certainly don't see many PS with a diode mode/continuity tester!

But regardless of the model, the question is how to tone down the Diode Mode voltage.

TIA!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 01:51:31 am »
Sorry to offend, @tooki.

To the question, and not how it is worded, what is the best way to vary the diode mode voltage on a DVM? A switch inline with probes? A pot/bridged, zeners, and ideas?

Thank you for pointing out my attempt to be inclusive of all readers.

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 09:08:28 am »
[There are a variety of posts on DM (Diode Mode), and some even talk about voltages, but none address this issue directly There are even web sites I've seen where someone has written down all the DM voltages at key points of working electronics...]

One meter's DM "output" is 6vdc, and another's is 3vdc...

Story: I bought a friend with a phone repair store a Siglent Technologies SDM3045X for Christmas, as he only uses this minimalistic analog power supply and a 'DM' on it. At this time, I do not know the brand/model, but will update when I find it.

Here is the rub: Siglents seem to put out 6vdc in DM, and his old/existing "meter" puts out 3vdc. I just measured the normal leads with another VOM for each meter. Why should this matter? Well, he works on cell phones, and a LOT of the parts in those will toast over 5vdc. He hasn't modified this existing meter.

So I'm thinking I need to ween him off this old piece of equipment, and somehow modify the rig to allow a much lower DM output. Perhaps aa tiny box with a switch to pass the leads through, so it could be turned off for non-DM uses...

What do you think? Would a simple resistor bridge do the trick?

P.S. I never use DM myself.

IMHO the best way to lower the voltage would be to use 2 low current cheap shunt reference in series, e.g. LM385-2.5, like this

in ---->|----|<---- out

that would reduce the voltage by 3.1-2V independently of the polarity
if you need a different voltage drop you can use 2 LM385-adj

The following users thanked this post: Holes Flow

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 02:05:50 pm »
Sorry to offend, @tooki.

To the question, and not how it is worded, what is the best way to vary the diode mode voltage on a DVM? A switch inline with probes? A pot/bridged, zeners, and ideas?

Thank you for pointing out my attempt to be inclusive of all readers.
I'm not offended. I was trying to figure out why you think the layer count or component size matters. Specifying those suggests a connection that doesn't exist, and that can confuse people who don't know that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf