Author Topic: Need help with a FM radio transmitter project  (Read 544 times)

wasedadoc, TurboTom and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ezalb98Topic starter

Need help with a FM radio transmitter project
« on: July 25, 2024, 11:04:48 pm »
hello   :)
i want to build this circuit. I found it on a website with no other informations about... i've modified it a bit cause aparently the original had some errors and i added the power switch.
I want to know if it will work, and if there are some improvements i can do.
I also tried simulating it with multisim, but i noticed, with an oscilloscope, that the output wave is linear and not sinusoidal :wtf: ... why?
Thanks to anyone who will help me ;D

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Need help with a FM radio transmitter project
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 11:31:46 pm »
Pretty generic parts list, simple to breadboard - why don't you try it and see?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: ezalb98

Offline moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 11:37:31 pm »
Just a few comments:
1. R1 at 10R seems low.
2. The 80% variable capacitor has no ID or value.
The oscillator using Q2 can sometimes be difficult to simulate, but the fact that the variable cap has no visible value is a starting point.

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 11:44:46 pm »
As mentioned above; R1 is most likely a 10K\$\Omega\$. Also, R6 and R2 bias the oscillator stage but they appear not to be connected - there is a missing dot!

And, C1, C4 and C6 appear to be specified as 470 Farad!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 11:47:36 pm by Andy Watson »

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:12:24 am »
As mentioned above; R1 is most likely a 10K\$\Omega\$. Also, R6 and R2 bias the oscillator stage but they appear not to be connected - there is a missing dot!

And, C1, C4 and C6 appear to be specified as 470 Farad!

Fixed, not i see the wave, but is a bit weird
the first is the output, the second is the input

Offline JoeyG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:25:49 am »
What happens in the SIM if  C1   does it oscillate in the FM Band?

Also  the SIM may not take in to account parts that are not fully characterised in the FM band (at 100MHz)

Check this out

Offline moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 03:18:07 am »
As an example of a very similar valued FM oscillator which I created in LTSpice that oscillates I have included the screen capture of the circuit and its oscillation. There are quite a few errors in your schematic making it easier to show something that works. :)

P.S. And a slightly different version as well.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:49:42 am by moffy »

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:08:04 pm »
As an example of a very similar valued FM oscillator which I created in LTSpice that oscillates I have included the screen capture of the circuit and its oscillation. There are quite a few errors in your schematic making it easier to show something that works. :)

(Attachment Link)

ok thanks you!
But i didn't undertand how i should modify my circuit, were are the errors that you mentioned?

Offline moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:18:20 pm »

(Attachment Link)

ok thanks you!
But i didn't undertand how i should modify my circuit, were are the errors that you mentioned?
Just compare your schematic to mine, the differences are fairly obvious e.g. your C6=470F whereas my equivalent C3=470pF etc.

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 12:41:48 pm »

(Attachment Link)

ok thanks you!
Just compare your schematic to mine, the differences are fairly obvious e.g. your C6=470F whereas my equivalent C3=470pF etc.

like this? it dosn't seem right...
i dont also understand why when i turn on the switch the wave becomes linear?

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:06:32 pm »
1. Your scope is probably loading the oscillator so much that it isn't oscillating.

2.  Your scope timebase is 10ms/div. Waveform frequency is about 100Hz.  :(

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 02:31:53 pm »
1. Your scope is probably loading the oscillator so much that it isn't oscillating.

2.  Your scope timebase is 10ms/div. Waveform frequency is about 100Hz.  :(

oh, i see
with the design that i have it should work on real hardware right?

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Today at 01:49:23 pm »
Decades ago, a dear friend of mine celebrated a birthday party in their "student home" which was a rather old, facework building with little ground area but spanning vertically over three floors. Just like me, he loved anciend "steam" radios and had quite a collection. To be able to play the same music on all the floors, he asked me to make a small FM transmitter for him that should be powerful enough to provide a good signal to the radios on all the floors, to connect to his "central" hifi system. Finally, while the party was going on, all the people living in his village could tune in to his music...

Anyway, the design is proven to be working with a fairly good audio quality. It may be of slightly old-fashioned concept with the transistors in common-base circuit but it's simple and easy to build. I attached a screenshot of the schematic, and if you like, I can share the (single-layer) PCB layout as well.

Cheers,
Thomas

P.S. I used the Sanyo varactors and oscillator transistor simply because I "inherited" an almost unlimited supply of those. Other, similar components will work just as well.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:12:15 pm by TurboTom »

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Today at 04:19:55 pm »
Decades ago, a dear friend of mine celebrated a birthday party in their "student home" which was a rather old, facework building with little ground area but spanning vertically over three floors. Just like me, he loved anciend "steam" radios and had quite a collection. To be able to play the same music on all the floors, he asked me to make a small FM transmitter for him that should be powerful enough to provide a good signal to the radios on all the floors, to connect to his "central" hifi system. Finally, while the party was going on, all the people living in his village could tune in to his music...

Anyway, the design is proven to be working with a fairly good audio quality. It may be of slightly old-fashioned concept with the transistors in common-base circuit but it's simple and easy to build. I attached a screenshot of the schematic, and if you like, I can share the (single-layer) PCB layout as well.

Cheers,
Thomas

P.S. I used the Sanyo varactors and oscillator transistor simply because I "inherited" an almost unlimited supply of those. Other, similar components will work just as well.
Operating an FM transmitter with such range is illegal in many countries.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:22:55 pm by wasedadoc »

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: Today at 07:04:44 pm »
Operating an FM transmitter with such range is illegal in many countries.

Yes, of course. I was well aware of that, also back then when I built this gadget. So what? We made sure the channel that we used wasn't busy with a "non-pirate" program that we could possibly interfere with. And we operated our "Pirate Radio" for exactly one Saturday evening. What's the risk of getting sued for this? As we say "Wo kein Kläger ist, ist auch kein Richter" (No plaintiff, no judge). And today, this "sin from the youth" is long time expired.  8)

And if someone really would like to copy this design, it's simple to reduce its power (which isn't much more than 100mW anyway) to a level really necessary for "the job" by increasing R6.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf