Author Topic: anyone here tinker with fiber lasers (doped fiber, not just fiber coupled)?  (Read 971 times)

Offline KTPTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I am getting the itch to buy a small used fiber laser as they are getting very cheap on the used market (sub $3000).  I have a few Synrad and Coherent CO2 lasers and also some various flashlamp pumped YAG bricks (not really good for anything usefull because the rep. rate is too low).  I do have a 100 watt arc lamp pumped YAG head from a old medical laser but I sold the supply for it years ago....besides it is a beast and used 3 phase.

These little q-switched Ytterbium fiber lasers with a mJ or so peak power and 10 to 20 watts average power could be quite fun for light material processing or experiments.  I am looking at the ones made in germany by IPG.  A few pounds, powered off wall AC, compared to 20 years ago 3 phase 600 pound beasts requiring a chiller.

Not sure if anyone here has ever worked with these, but thought I would ask.

Yes, I know 1.07um is quite a bit less eye safe than 10.6um but I have several pairs of OD10 goggles in that wavelength and some experience experimenting with YAG and diode lasers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf