Author Topic: Need help finding boost converter  (Read 4047 times)

Offline jamessinghalTopic starter

• Contributor
Need help finding boost converter
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:40:16 pm »
I have a 60v 15 amp ac dc linear power supply that I built, and I want a good, efficient way to be able to adjust the voltage and current.
All I have found is a boost converter, but it has a low point of 12v, and that is unsuitable for by needs, as I need a max low point of 1.5v
I you have a good solution, I would love to hear it.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Need help finding boost converter
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:04:10 pm »
I have a 60v 15 amp ac dc linear power supply that I built, and I want a good, efficient way to be able to adjust the voltage and current.
All I have found is a boost converter, but it has a low point of 12v, and that is unsuitable for by needs, as I need a max low point of 1.5v
I you have a good solution, I would love to hear it.
You've not made your requirements very clear.

What's the boost converter got to do with the linear regulator? Are they related projects, or are you just mentioning your previous experience?

60V at 15A is 900W of power. A boost converter to convert 1.5V to 60V at 900W would need to take 600A from the 1.5V power source, assuming 100% efficiency. In real life there will be losses, so the current will be much higher.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:52:06 pm by Hero999 »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:07:04 pm »
All I need is a way to limit the current and the voltage, the efficiency doesn't matter to me.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:08:56 pm »
All I need is a way to limit the current and the voltage, the efficiency doesn't matter to me.
Then the title of the thread is misleading. You do not need a boost converter at all, but a way of varying the voltage and limiting the current! Is that correct?

Offline anman

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:22:57 pm »
You need a Power Buck Converter Step-Down Module DC-DC

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:14:05 pm »
Then the title of the thread is misleading. You do not need a boost converter at all, but a way of varying the voltage and limiting the current! Is that correct?
I said this because a boost converter was the best way I knew how to do this

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:51:28 pm »
I said this because a boost converter was the best way I knew how to do this
You will not achieve this with a boost converter, which increases the voltage and decreases the current.

It would be better to modify your existing linear power supply to vary the output voltage and limit the current.

Do you want to build a 1.5V to 60V power supply with an adjustable current limit?

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 02:03:40 am »
Yes, thanks!
That is exactly what I am looking for, and if you have a better way than just buying a cheap chinese circuit to adjust voltage and limit current, that would be greatly appreciated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf