Author Topic: Need Good Open Source GPIB to USB H/W  (Read 10273 times)

Offline StubbornGreekTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Need Good Open Source GPIB to USB H/W
« on: December 14, 2012, 09:22:29 pm »
I've found a few GPIB to USB projects online but I understand that some have issues working with older HP equipment. Does anyone have any personal experience with the open source designs available? If so, which have you found to work best with HP gear - specifically (but not limited to) HP3561A and HP3325A?

I know I'm being a bit cheap here but I think the pricing on retail devices is unreasonable. Thanks.
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline JackOfVA

• Supporter
Re: Need Good Open Source GPIB to USB H/W
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:14:34 pm »
Depends on what you think your time is worth. I have several Prologix USB-GPIB boards in my lab and use them with equipment going back to some of the first built with HPIB as well as new Agilent gear and have found them to be excellent performers with all.  Over the years, I've had reason to contact the guy behind Prologix and he has been incredibly helpful in answering questions.

At US$ 150 each, I figure my time would have to be worth 10 cents an hour if I were to duplicate the hardware and software.

Jack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 11:40:33 pm »
Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that I wanted to design one myself. I was asking if there were any open source projects out there which work.

That said, I have heard good things about the Prologix and I'm sure I can get used Agilent from ebay for $200 or so but...

Depends on what you think your time is worth. I have several Prologix USB-GPIB boards in my lab and use them with equipment going back to some of the first built with HPIB as well as new Agilent gear and have found them to be excellent performers with all.  Over the years, I've had reason to contact the guy behind Prologix and he has been incredibly helpful in answering questions.

At US$ 150 each, I figure my time would have to be worth 10 cents an hour if I were to duplicate the hardware and software.

Jack
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 01:12:15 am »
you can get pic gpib cards for 50$ or so. why bother with some kludge ...
and the real cards are GPIB32 and VISa compliant. something none of the homebrews does.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 03:11:59 am »
and the real cards are GPIB32 and VISa compliant. something none of the homebrews does.

Are you referring to the pic-plot2? I saw a couple of write-ups on that but it seemed that it was intended for screen capture only. If this is the card you're referring to, can you comment on its usefulness/limitations? Thank you.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline poodyp

• Regular Contributor
Re: Not strictly EE related: ~1940's electromechanical door chime.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 03:55:39 am »
I think he meant PCI. Heck, you can get ISA cards for even less.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 04:20:59 am »
Not sure if this helps -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/for-sale-oshw-gpibusb-adapter/

Though the op is selling it, since this is OSHW, he also provided the product's documentation, board, firmware and etc.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Not strictly EE related: ~1940's electromechanical door chime.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 07:34:03 am »
I think he meant PCI. Heck, you can get ISA cards for even less.

I've not seen those for under $200 (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places).
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 07:35:29 am »
Not sure if this helps -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/for-sale-oshw-gpibusb-adapter/

Though the op is selling it, since this is OSHW, he also provided the product's documentation, board, firmware and etc.

I'll check this out; since I'm only looking to connect a limited number of devices over a short length, it may work out well.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 07:55:24 am »

This is great news to me too. Recently bought a pair of Prologix adapters - both the USB and ethernet versions.
Haven't had a chance to get very far with them yet. One thing they do not implement is group execute trigger, and I've a feeling this may be a problem for me.

scasagrande really should have picked some other day to start his thread though.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 08:01:56 am »
scasagrande really should have picked some other day to start his thread though.

Do you mean the discussion on his project ? Apart from that sale thread I pointed, he did post few threads regarding his work from beginning. Its just these threads don't generate many noise around this forum and slowly sinked.

His other threads in this subject ...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/oshw-usb-to-gpib-adapter/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/oshw-usb-to-gpib-adapter-updates/

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 08:59:19 am »

Do you mean the discussion on his project ?

The one linked above. I was kidding, due to the date he posted:
For Sale: OSHW GPIBUSB Adapter
«  on: April 01, 2012, 12:25:09 AM »

His project is so exactly what I've been looking for, that I thought it just _has_ to be an April Fools joke.
But no...

Wish I'd seen those threads a couple of month ago.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 10:07:07 am »
I'm using Steven's adapter (scasagrande) and it just works, a pair of days ago I started
using it also with an old Racal Dana 1992 counter and it's working ok, so far no problems.

Fabio.
Fabio Eboli.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 11:45:39 am »

this one here http://www.bmjd.biz/
started as homebrew project, i saw it first on a chinese forum. Later the developer started his own company.

I remember I thought he simply copied the Agilent firmware but after deep code and hardware analysis i found out
that he implemented it from scratch - however on the other side beeing full compatible to Agilent VISA/GPIB32,
and to NI in Agilents NI488 mode.

I'm still using his S82357 (currently with mix of 8 different (HP/Tek/Yokogawa/EIP/Xantrex/R&S) instruments),
and the only issue i had was fixed with next firmware update.

In the meantime he developed updated and faster version of it F82357 for those who need faster transfers.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 03:48:05 pm »
. One thing they do not implement is group execute trigger, and I've a feeling this may be a problem for me.

That is the problem with all this homebrew stuff. They are half implements and have their own low level command set as opposed to the agilent/NI low level command set. ( im talking usb driver here. The low level portion needs to exit at the GPIB32.DLL. That is the standardized command interface. Agilent , ni , ecs , keithley , rigol ,  they all exit at GPIB32 level. All software like VISA , labwindows , vee , testbench etc is written to hook into GPIB32.
This invariably gives problems.

Now, as for group triggers .. You can't do that over usb ...  There is an appnote from NI outlining two or three things that are not possible over the usb bus due to the sequential nature of the bus.

The only true GPIB without limits can only be done through the plugin cards. They frequently pop up on ebay below 100$. Plug and play.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

alm

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 04:00:55 pm »
Now, as for group triggers .. You can't do that over usb ...  There is an appnote from NI outlining two or three things that are not possible over the usb bus due to the sequential nature of the bus.
I believe you're confusing USB connection to the devices (eg. USBTMC) with a USB connection to the GPIB controller. GET is just a single command as far as the controller is concerned, and I'm quite sure I've used GET with NI-GPIB-USB controllers.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »
Lots of good info in this thread, thanks everyone.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline scasagrande

• Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 02:52:02 pm »
Hey everyone,

If you have any questions about my adapter feel free to ask.

Oh and when I posted that thread it wasn't April 1st yet where I am. I feel like I didn't even notice until after the fact.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf