Author Topic: my own original oscillator  (Read 13035 times)

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: my own original oscillator
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2019, 04:39:04 pm »
I can make it work in a simulator, but not with LED's. as such I would assume It would not work if you replaced the LED's,

So there is something to it, just not sure what in an LED would give such a sharp transition,

If a spark gap, rather than the LEDs are used like you suggest, you could cut the circuit in half and still make it work.   

Maybe go further and use a single gap. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark-gap_transmitter
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 04:42:30 pm by joeqsmith »

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2019, 06:59:01 pm »
Electrolytics operated at reversed polarity may also cause all kinds of funny effects...

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 07:09:33 pm »
Great. You stole his tech.

I'm the next Steve Jobs.

The following users thanked this post: InductorbackEMF

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2019, 12:25:28 am »
Walking in the foot steps of Hz, here's my transistorless oscillator made from an Autolite 65 spark plug, two resistors and a capacitor running at roughly 1Hz.   It's my original idea so don't be stealing it.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2019, 01:40:02 am »
hams in your area must love you!
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 01:48:46 am »
I think bsfeechannel has the correct explanation. Ian.M has also described "oscillators" that I have encountered. Faulty connections to the die that are intermittent can really drive one crazy. It's good to have substitute parts to swap out when puzzling events like that happen.

But I love a ring oscillator.  Especially when they run on "free energy" LOL.

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

The following users thanked this post: krayvonk

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 02:47:51 am »
joeqsmith, you stole my idea of a spark gap oscillator! I have the capacitor I used in the circuit as proof!  8)

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2019, 03:14:10 am »
hams in your area must love you!

I just saw on this site that ham radio was dead in 2019.   

joeqsmith, you stole my idea of a spark gap oscillator! I have the capacitor I used in the circuit as proof!  8)

Nice!  Every hobbyist needs a few of these in there stash.

Offline krayvonkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2019, 09:16:33 am »
Haha you guys are really funny.

Thanks Joe Smith again, for redrawing the schematic to a more professional topology.   I saved a png to my hard disk just for something to remember.
I dont know what's going on,    I dont even know what im supposed to post next to be on this forum,  we dont share what we know?  I dont understand.

The spark gap oscillator was great,  that must be the simplest oscillator of all.

AlsoToken,  thanks for showing me your work, too,   but this electronics business doesnt seem like programming the way ppl are constantly kidding around I had no idea about it going to be this way.     

I see that you have a capacitor based oscillator as well!!!! but urs looks dif.(better)  thanks.
So my idea isnt new?   I wish ppl would just tell me...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:32:32 am by krayvonk »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 09:52:48 am »
Currently the majority of the thread seems to suspect it is either the buzzer being the non linear element or that there is a defect in a LED that is letting it act like a spark gap or to be more precise. Similar to a bimetallic regulator where it heats up breaks connection then cools down and repeats

Remove the buzzer and replace both LEDs with new ones and we can rule out both of those options.

Most of the derailment of the thread came about because at first glance the circuit does not make sense in how it could oscillate. It takes something misbehaving to fit most of the current expected thoughts on how it operates

As such I think it triggered some of the people that reguarly have to debunk impossible devices such as free energy scam circuits. And in such cases engineers tend to attack with sarcasm.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, krayvonk

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2019, 11:13:48 am »
Currently the majority of the thread seems to suspect it is either the buzzer being the non linear element or that there is a defect in a LED that is letting it act like a spark gap or to be more precise. Similar to a bimetallic regulator where it heats up breaks connection then cools down and repeats

Remove the buzzer and replace both LEDs with new ones and we can rule out both of those options.

Most of the derailment of the thread came about because at first glance the circuit does not make sense in how it could oscillate. It takes something misbehaving to fit most of the current expected thoughts on how it operates

As such I think it triggered some of the people that reguarly have to debunk impossible devices such as free energy scam circuits. And in such cases engineers tend to attack with sarcasm.

I'm just in it for the entertainment factor now. I'll admit, I'm easily amused.   

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2019, 11:36:35 am »
Haha you guys are really funny.

Thanks Joe Smith again, for redrawing the schematic to a more professional topology.   I saved a png to my hard disk just for something to remember.
I dont know what's going on,    I dont even know what im supposed to post next to be on this forum,  we dont share what we know?  I dont understand.

The spark gap oscillator was great,  that must be the simplest oscillator of all.

AlsoToken,  thanks for showing me your work, too,   but this electronics business doesnt seem like programming the way ppl are constantly kidding around I had no idea about it going to be this way.     

I see that you have a capacitor based oscillator as well!!!! but urs looks dif.(better)  thanks.
So my idea isnt new?   I wish ppl would just tell me...

Obviously the redrawn schematics still don't match what you have built as I can clearly see two LEDs in parallel and you mention a buzzer of sorts.   

There's a simpler oscillator that could be made with a spark gap, had you taken the time to read that link I provided.  I am guessing your reason for posting here isn't to try and learn something but no matter.   

The spark plug will have some capacitance.   Just using a single resistor in series with the plug will have the same effect.  The capacitor will charge to a voltage where  the gap breaks down and the cycle repeats.   To run at 1Hz would require a VERY large resistor. 

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:08 am »
If you guys want to continue the trend, I actually got banned off every forum on the internet.    You guys arent like that tho... right?

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2019, 11:51:20 am »
If you guys want to continue the trend, I actually got banned off every forum on the internet.    You guys arent like that tho... right?

As someone once told me when I was being especially salty:

If you meet an asshole in the morning, you've met an asshole.
If you meet assholes all day long, you are the asshole.

The following users thanked this post: cpt.armadillo

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2019, 11:58:15 am »
Unless you break the rules of the forum, your unlikely to be banned, things like personal attacks, spamming etc, that will get you banned, being a beginner who doesn't know all the lingo, should be fine

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2019, 01:14:28 pm »
My first sub-Hz oscillator consisted of 2 components and goes back to when I was barely a teen. I connected the coil of a relay in series with the normally closed contacts of same relay. A big electrolytic capacitor in parallel with the coil sets the frequency of oscillation.
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2019, 01:52:20 pm »

Are you telling us that you are actually a troll, and are disappointed that we did not get excited enough about your posts?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2019, 02:50:51 pm »
The funny thing about being a troll,   is trolls dont even know what one is.  :)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2019, 03:34:25 pm »
The funny thing about being a troll,   is trolls dont even know what one is.

But others do, and can decide to withdraw from the dialog.
Which I hereby do.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2019, 03:39:22 pm »
you are too innocent and cute from the sound of your text yet have less clue what everybody try to tell you here. so i guess you are very young but yet know how to hide your age in your profile. you are enthusiastic like i was when i found area of circle is not pi.r.squared many years ago, unfortunately there was no internet back then so i cant publish my finding right away to tell to people, now i've forgotten how i derived the formula from the first principle (or integration cant really remember) i've retried several times in not too recently but failed, but nevermind i guess everybody is fine with pi.r.squared. but unfortunately with existence of internet, you can get smashed instantly when you try to publish not a proven science. i guess if internet was there back then, i will got smashed too by seasoned mathematicians and figured why my derivation was wrong, but i never got the chance.

so yes this forum is much more relaxed in term of banning but you have to take everything with grain and salt and then decide with your wits if you think you are still right but later i bet you'll think otherwise. the fact that you've excluded the buzzer in your circuit shows that you have much to learn. buzzer is a circuit element inductor, and inductor with capacitor may form resonance circuit. what you've presentated in OP is not a proven science and lack of information. there is another type of simplest self oscillating circuit consisting a single bjt (picture below) you can google youtube for single transistor oscillator, but nobody cares to steal the idea because it depends on undeterministic floating ions or something, unstable and less configurable. people prefer stable and reproducable, and adjustable to greater frequency range as a general purpose oscillator. fwiw..

Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: krayvonk

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2019, 03:58:16 pm »
Hey if its the way things go around a place,  I guess I better not get my toes in the water, let it be, think before i act, not worry about it, let sleeping dogs lie, keep to myself.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2019, 04:06:37 pm »
you may get some recognition around here... https://www.kidzworld.com/forums/ have a nice sleep and good luck ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2019, 05:58:21 pm »
It's my original idea so don't be stealing it.

I would steal it if I had 2kV lying around, and, oh, a 100Meg resistor.  :-DD

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2019, 06:07:38 pm »
My first sub-Hz oscillator consisted of 2 components and goes back to when I was barely a teen. I connected the coil of a relay in series with the normally closed contacts of same relay. A big electrolytic capacitor in parallel with the coil sets the frequency of oscillation.

I remember them selling those as a replacement for the old bi-metal flasher relays on cars! The flash rate wasn't sensitive to load current (number of direction indicator bulbs) so could be used with caravans.  The bi-metal ones were pretty reliable in other respects though, and were responsible for the original ticking noise from the dashboard, faithfully carried forward to this day.
Best Regards, Chris

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2019, 11:10:00 pm »
It's my original idea so don't be stealing it.

I would steal it if I had 2kV lying around, and, oh, a 100Meg resistor.  :-DD

The spark plug was customized to achieve the lower breakdown voltage.  I am working on the patent for it now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf