Author Topic: My Dad's Vintage Hi-Fi Fisher Amplifier KX-100 / KX60 Tuner  (Read 10868 times)

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
Re: My Dad's Vintage Hi-Fi Fisher Amplifier KX-100 / KX60 Tuner
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2023, 06:54:08 pm »
a nighttime wander around your neighbourhood may turn up a replacement

User name checks out

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2023, 02:26:01 am »
Borrowed a few headphones.  Four of us tried to evaluate them independently.  Both my wife and I tried various types of music.   Everyone thought the Sennheiser HD555 sounded the best.   We all thought the vintage Pioneers performed poorly.   Of course, they all sound much better than the cheap ear buds I normally use.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2023, 02:25:10 pm »
Waiting on some new LEDs which I hope will get it closer to the look of an incandescent.    In the mean time, I finished up the case.  Shown after 5 bushed coats of poly and buffing.   You can see the deep scratches in the one side of the cabinet.  From what I remember, my dad had made a slide out cabinet for his HI-FI.  This way you could have easy access to the turntable and let the amp and turner run in free air.   I think it had rubbed over the years of use.   I could have erased the history but instead chose to preserve it. 

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2023, 03:57:21 pm »
Tried a bit of amber filter but that looked worse. 
T'is  common when using filter meant for tungsten ,something to do with the bits of the colour spectrum that are missing from the leds. There are filters designed for led sources but not really a cost effective option considering the amount you need.If your in the mood to experiment you could get a filter swatch book from the likes of rosco or lee,the samples should be enough to do a couple lamps.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2023, 04:00:59 pm »
HI-FI next to my Dad's poker chips.  Project is pretty much done now except for the bulbs.  The grill on the tuner is actually from the amplifier.  I inserted the chrome plug where my Dad had drilled it out for a rotary switch that allowed him to select his speakers.   The switch was long gone.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2023, 12:50:19 am »
New LEDs are better but still far off from the original incandescent bulbs.    Looks ok with the lights dimmed in the room.  Calling it good enough.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2023, 10:52:41 am »
They indeed look better than the prior iteration. Hopefully they last the next 50 years...  ::)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf