Author Topic: LED Car Tail Lights  (Read 8636 times)

Offline emece67

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: LED Car Tail Lights
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 05:58:06 pm »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 04:21:08 pm by emece67 »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2021, 07:38:20 pm »
The LED's package determines power handling, which determines brightness class.
Piranha's I replaced in my car's side mirror lamps, three amber ones in series, and one had a bonding wire fail and it cut out when cold. The LED's are usually rated 30mA and Cree CP41B parts 70mA.
You can't go high in power with piranha parts because the entire LED is encapsulated in plastic and the 4 pins and die frame don't pull out much heat. It's a bit better than a 5mm LED.

I wouldn't use piranha LED's for car tail lights, they don't have the power handling needed.

Offline Civilenjuneer

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 01:56:26 am »
The LED's package determines power handling, which determines brightness class.
Piranha's I replaced in my car's side mirror lamps, three amber ones in series, and one had a bonding wire fail and it cut out when cold. The LED's are usually rated 30mA and Cree CP41B parts 70mA.
You can't go high in power with piranha parts because the entire LED is encapsulated in plastic and the 4 pins and die frame don't pull out much heat. It's a bit better than a 5mm LED.

I wouldn't use piranha LED's for car tail lights, they don't have the power handling needed.

"Piranha" LED's are perfectly fine for tail lights and turn signals. Many, many vehicles use them and there must be millions out there in use from major manufacturers.  The flux capacity of the LED is just a function of how many are needed.  For hobbyists, a Piranha LED is going to be much easier to use than something like a SnapLED or a PLCC-2/4 package LED or (especially) something like a Luxeon Rebel or Cree XPE type LED which require considerable care and thought into thermal design.

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf