Author Topic: Benchtop monitoring/instruments/control panel suggestions  (Read 1190 times)

Offline YolkTopic starter

• :yolk:
Benchtop monitoring/instruments/control panel suggestions
« on: November 08, 2018, 07:31:57 pm »
I've recently bought a pair of panel instruments for very cheap,a voltmeter and a ammeter. I know that they aren't the most exact and accurate,but i would like to do something with them and i came across the idea of making a benchtop panel,sort of. At least the ammeter will be useful and i know i'll be using it often,no more dealing with crocodile clips and deadly voltage.

I dont have much space for my experiments,and i am tired of using an extension cord and hooking up everything there.
This project will clean up my bench and besides it will look WAY cooler than a bare PSU and a extension cord.

Since i'm making this i said,maybe i could ask here for suggestions on what to add that may be useful for experiments and how to arrage everything,plus i feel like i need more knobs and push buttons.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
Re: Benchtop monitoring/instruments/control panel suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:47:05 pm »
Well, I think you might want to give us some more details, about what equipment that you already have. Do you have a multimeter, even a cheap one, that can read voltage and amperage? If so, you might want to use these gauges for some other specialized purpose, that would benefit from analog gauges. Those units are somewhat treasured and can make nice and useful projects. But, if you already have a multimeter, I think you would benefit from using the gauges for something else. Just my opinion and it certainly doesn't have to be yours.

Those gauges don't look like they are complete devices. Are they going to require additional circuitry?

Have you tested them, to see if they are operational? Look on YouTube, for tips on how to check them.

Your drawing shows a 500 watt PSU. This is an amazingly large power supply. 12v @ 41.67a and 5v @ 100a. Most basic power supplies are around 30v and 3a. Was this just some funny text, for the label, or a real desire?

I am not sure that I have an opinion about switched inputs. Maybe other people do.

I understand wanting to consolidate and compartmentalize your gear. There are lots of threads, on this particular subject. Consider a place that you could dedicate to your gear. This can be 1/2 of a closet. Install a cabinet in it that has a fold down desk. Add a folding chair. Some people use rolling tool chests. Keep it next to a desk. Like I said, read up on it. Instructables.com would surely have some good ideas.

Offline YolkTopic starter

• :yolk:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 02:45:12 pm »
Well, I think you might want to give us some more details, about what equipment that you already have. Do you have a multimeter, even a cheap one, that can read voltage and amperage? If so, you might want to use these gauges for some other specialized purpose, that would benefit from analog gauges. Those units are somewhat treasured and can make nice and useful projects. But, if you already have a multimeter, I think you would benefit from using the gauges for something else. Just my opinion and it certainly doesn't have to be yours.

Those gauges don't look like they are complete devices. Are they going to require additional circuitry?

Have you tested them, to see if they are operational? Look on YouTube, for tips on how to check them.

Your drawing shows a 500 watt PSU. This is an amazingly large power supply. 12v @ 41.67a and 5v @ 100a. Most basic power supplies are around 30v and 3a. Was this just some funny text, for the label, or a real desire?

The intruments i have already opened them and cleaned and also compared them to my fluke 87 and they hold their ground.As for connections go,each one has two screws behind,voltmeter goes in paralell and ammeter in series.

As in why to use them,as i said above everytime i need to measure current,i have to use the crocodile tips on the leads wich dont make a very good contact,and moving-iron instruments are integrating devices (trueRMS) so it isn't like i am losing anything in using this rather than the fluke (to some extent,i need to do my tests on various switched harmonics-heavy loads to see if it's as true rms as i believe it is as frequency goes up)

PSU is a standard computer PSU,500 watts comes from what the current draw is on the psu,output is way less of course. The point is that you always need 5 or 12v,that's why i want to use a regulated power supply. no interest whatsoever in making a variable power supply or anything of that sort.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:37:10 pm »
PSU is a standard computer PSU,500 watts comes from what the current draw is on the psu,output is way less of course. The point is that you always need 5 or 12v,that's why i want to use a regulated power supply. no interest whatsoever in making a variable power supply or anything of that sort.
That should be rather easy. It will require just a few parts... Two regulators and the caps they need. Look at the LT1083, LT1084 and LT1085 regulators. They are made by Linear Technologies, but Linear Technologies was bought, recently, by Analog Devices. They have much higher amperage output ratings, than the LM78xx series.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/108345fh.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf