Author Topic: Maplin's Weather Satellite Receiving System from 1985/6  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Maplin's Weather Satellite Receiving System from 1985/6
« on: March 04, 2018, 06:03:29 pm »
Hi!

Maplin's published a design for a Weather Satellite Receiving System in the mid 1980s built in two 2U size 19" Rack cases, one for the Receiver Project and another for the Decoder/PSU unit, made to operate via an Amstrad PC (with an optional Frame Store design they also published) or BBC Model B.

Has anyone got the documentation for this project, and would it be still be feasible to attempt to build this?

Does it require any special programmed devices or was the dump published?

Are the satellites (NOAA, TIROS, etc.,) still in operation and if so, are they likely to remain operational for long enough to make an attempt at this project worthwhile?

I was really interested in this system but it was totally beyond my finances at the time!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:13:53 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
Re: Maplin's Weather Satellite Receiving System from 1985/6
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 07:55:36 pm »
If you just want to try receiving NOAA and other satellite signals, you can try with a cheap $20 SDR-dongle and proper antenna:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-receiving-noaa-weather-satellite-images/

Probably you will need to build a bandpass filter and LNA for better signal quality.

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Maplin's Weather Satellite Receiving System from 1985/6
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:07:07 pm »
Hi!

Further to my first query, can anyone point me in the direction of a good kit of parts or fully documented project to make a 130–140 MHz VHF receiver circuit suitable for the APT Weather Signals?

Regarding the decoder Maplin's design used, it uses a Ferrari ZN427E–8 CPU and an NS MF10CN, both of which I can get hold of, and the decoder PCB was single–sided so that's reproducible at least!
There's another small PCB called a "Sync Tone PCB" using a NE565 PLL chip, again easy to make!

Every kit of parts I find reference to exists only in pictures, when you try to order they're either discontinued or it's an old website long closed down!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:13:39 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf