Author Topic: Recommendation for Logic Analyzer  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Wilson__Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Recommendation for Logic Analyzer
« on: July 15, 2024, 08:42:33 pm »
Please recommend a medium-grade, nice and flexiable Logic Analyzer for debugging MCU system to Sensor at SPI signal of up to 20 MHz.  Likely, real use is 10MHz or lower.

Many thanks

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Recommendation for Logic Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 02:56:31 am »
I'm using Kingst la1010 for debug signals up to 25MHz. Works good.
https://aliexpress.com/item/32780046572.html
Probably it was cheaper.

The following users thanked this post: Wilson__

Offline mianos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 03:34:38 am »
One of these is fine for SPI https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006004951378.html, maybe 20Mhz might be pushing it. I used one for SPI debugging for years.

I then got a dreamsourcelabs  DSLogic with 16 channels. Even better but much the same. Faster.

edit: fixed the url, sorry
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 11:02:21 pm by mianos »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Wilson__

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 03:04:22 pm »
I'm using Kingst la1010 for debug signals up to 25MHz. Works good.

I have the LA2016 and think their product is great, so I agree with the above suggestion. My recommendation is to spend a few bucks more and get the LA5016 (newer model that wasn't out when I purchased mine), or, if you're willing to spend a few extra bucks, the LA5032.

Trying to connect sixteen channels isn't easy, and can image thirty-two would be much more challenging, but it would depend on your needs.

The following users thanked this post: moffy, pdenisowski, Wilson__

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 08:22:09 pm »
One of these is fine for SPI https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006004951378.html maybe 20Mhz might be pushing it.
Fixed your URL.
That a analyzer will work at 24MHz x 8ch all day long just fine.
Edit: The 16ch version can do 12MHz x16 or 24MHz x8.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 02:50:09 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: mianos, Wilson__

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2024, 10:44:54 am »
Those EUR5 LA's are a great way to start with LA use. In my opinion, they should be a part of each and every "arduino starts kit". I have used one for years with Sigrok / Pulseview. It's very sad and unfortunate not much work is being done on the Sigrok project anymore.

About half a year ago I bought a Kingst LA2016, because I wanted a bit more speed and channels. I verified that the software works on my Linux box (Other OS-es are apparently also supported). LA2016 also works with Sigrok/Pulseview if you install one of the latest unstable versions.

I have not yet really used my Kingst LA2016 for a project, but overall I prefer Pulseview over the original software. Pulseview has a whole lot of decoders (about 100+) and you can also write your own in Python. (those decoders are slow though).

I bought the Kingst because it was mentioned on the Sigrok site. I would love to buy officially supported hardware from Sigrok itself, but unfortunately there is none.

Bostonman suggests buying the LA5016 instead, but it's significantly more expensive. It's getting into a price range when you only buy stuff when you really need it. Even though I bought the 2016 myself, I still recommend to start with the EUR5 boxes. They cost just lunch money, and they are much more then a toy.

For sample rates, you want your LA to sample at least at 4x the data rate, but often you want more. You don't only want to capture the data, but when you want to do time measurements and delays between signals, you need a higher resolution. For example when you want to measure the propagation delay of a simple inverter, you can't do much with a LA that samples on only 100MHz. But capturing accurate data at those higher sample rates is also not trivial.

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski, Wilson__

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2024, 10:55:20 am »
Trying to connect sixteen channels isn't easy, and can image thirty-two would be much more challenging, but it would depend on your needs.

Yeah, keeping track of which conductor is connected to which pin is non-trivial when the conductor count gets high :)
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Online asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2024, 01:42:47 pm »
I've heard many good things from people I trust about DreamSourceLab DSLogic U3Pro16/32 analyzers.

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2024, 02:45:14 pm »
Yeah, keeping track of which conductor is connected to which pin is non-trivial when the conductor count gets high

Keeping track of all the logic pulses too tends to get complicated too.

The only issue I've had with my LA2016 was during a recent measurement, I noticed unused (floating) channels were displaying either a constant high or pulses (I don't remember).

It was next to a desk lamp that uses florescent lights along with being next to some >38v pulses (I used voltage dividers on each line to divide the voltage in half even though the LA2016 can handle up to 50v).

I didn't dive into the issue, but sensed it was either the desk lamp or high voltages next to one another.

Otherwise, I think the unit is great and think the software does what I need it to do.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2024, 12:07:32 am »
A couple of variants of the cheap cypress-based 8 bit analysers that have appeared recently are :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194936419931
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315435915307

The first is very tiny.
The second is a little bigger but appears to have some buffering or voltage translation on the front
Both have descriptions that appear to be complete rubbish. No FPGA., No ARM.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2024, 09:56:16 am »
Yeah, keeping track of which conductor is connected to which pin is non-trivial when the conductor count gets high

Keeping track of all the logic pulses too tends to get complicated too.

That's why logic analysers have complex arm/trigger preconditions, plus filtering of the raw bitstreams. That enables only the interesting information to be captured/stored, while ignoring all the irrelevant signal changes. Hence it significantly reduces the need for very long buffers.

If a piece of equipment doesn't have that, then it is a bitstream recorder, not a logic analyser.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2024, 12:23:06 am »

Yeah, don't let them take over

2318539-0

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf