Author Topic: 555 timer output not going low when reset pulled down  (Read 697 times)

Offline bji900Topic starter

• Contributor
555 timer output not going low when reset pulled down
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:39:32 pm »
I am working on a project that needs to generate a single pulse, and then delay until the reset line is pulled high to re-generate a single pulse. I have this working on a bread board, with a Fairchild 555 dip 8 package. However when I moved to a pcb, and a soic 8 TI 555 timer, the pcba still works, however the output is sitting around .3V vs 0.06V. This is causing my output transistor to leak. My question is this, is there significant enough difference between multiple 555 timers and packages that could cause this? I will upload actual part numbers and schematic screen shots later today.

I think I may have a CMOS timer on the PCBA and a Standard timer on the bread board, and I think this may cause this issue.

My next try, will be to mount a dip8 onto my PCBA and see if that fixes the problem.

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
Re: 555 timer output not going low when reset pulled down
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:57:56 pm »
Show us your schematics including the transistor.

Offline bji900Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: 555 timer output not going low when reset pulled down
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 12:31:52 pm »
So long story short. I was seeing oscillation on my 5V supply, because I did not install output capacitance on the linear regulator. Which is why I was seeing 9V out of my 5V linear regulator. When I finally probed with a scope, it was obvious. This was causing my 555 timer to oscillate and not drive its output correctly.

This behavior was happening even with out any output drive on the 555, so a basic 555 in astable mode does not like noisy linear regulator outputs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf