Author Topic: Wireless power switching  (Read 287 times)

Offline lilshawnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Wireless power switching
« on: August 20, 2024, 05:44:08 pm »
I have a setup in a warehouse where all the lights are handled by a contactor and a main power switch turns on all the lights.

my issue is that the switch is located at the opposite end of the warehouse to where we enter it, about 45 meters away (~135 feet) straight shot. leaving us to use our phone flashlights to traverse the warehouse to get to the switch... or stumble around in the dark.

I'd thought about extending the switch wires to the man door, but buying 100 some meters of armored romex to run it down the side and across to the man door, is going to cost an arm and 2 legs.

there is a switched power outlet directly adjacent to the door we use... that we have temporarily installed a floodlight on so it's not so bad to walk through... but i'd like to come up with a solution to do this.

I have checked out the wireless RF style switch things you can get off of the bay and jungle sites but i don't think they'd go as far as I'd need it. lots of complaints of having to try multiple times to switch a device on or off.

I have also considered wifi switching devices, but i can't have every tom, dick and harry in our company install an app to just turn the lights on.

since i have a switch and a power source by the door in question, does anybody know if there is a wireless "powerline" kind of solution with a wireless transmitter/receiver combo... that when i hit the switch I currently have powering the outlet by the door, it powers the device and the device sends a signal through the AC power line to a receiver device i can install in the contactor box and use that to turn the lights on? or if not, has anyone used a reliable RF solution that works over a long distances?

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
Re: Wireless power switching
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 05:56:18 pm »
X10 https://www.x10.com/  maybe. One thing to ensure   a simple life is to make sure both switch and receiver are on the same phase
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 05:58:32 pm by themadhippy »

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 06:31:14 pm »
I have Lutron Caseta switches and dimmers throughout the house, they are UL listed and can handle a range of 100 feet with extenders. Not sure if they could handle your load though.

Offline lilshawnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2024, 09:52:14 pm »
I have Lutron Caseta switches and dimmers throughout the house, they are UL listed and can handle a range of 100 feet with extenders. Not sure if they could handle your load though.

the load is not a problem. the warehouse lights are switched via a contactor in a separate control panel. but yeah, for sure... a single light switch could never handle that kind of load. I'll take a peek at these and see if this might work... thanks!

X10 https://www.x10.com/  maybe. One thing to ensure   a simple life is to make sure both switch and receiver are on the same phase

I thought all the x10 stuff was connected via a wireless protocol and it was a device to device mesh. now that i think about it more... maybe I'm thinking about z-wave. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look more into this (as well as what phase the lighting contactor is on.)

Offline Poroit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2024, 03:49:04 am »
I have used these successfully for past projects.

https://defineinstruments.com/shop/wireless/twin-link-p2p-paired-nodes/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf