Author Topic: low impedance output driver, but short circuit proof?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline max_torqueTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
low impedance output driver, but short circuit proof?
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:20:58 pm »
I'm using a LVDS line driver as a signal line driver, in order to get nice sharp edges and to be highly noise resistant (low impedance to VCC / GND)

But, such low impedance makes that driver vulnerable to output shorts (to VBATT or GND).

I was wondering about putting some series resistance in the VCC and GND feeds, but bypassing that resistance with some capacitance to maintain an low AC impedance??

Is this a silly idea??   :-DD

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: low impedance output driver, but short circuit proof?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:22:29 pm »
Check the datasheet for your part, "normally" there is an output
short circuit current limit designed into part.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 08:26:48 pm »
I'm using a LVDS line driver as a signal line driver, in order to get nice sharp edges and to be highly noise resistant (low impedance to VCC / GND)
LVDS does not have a low impedance: LVDS drivers uses a current source (~3mA) followed by the output switches.

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:10:30 pm »
Sorry, it turns out i'm an idiot!   |O

I wrote "LVDS" driver because i'd been working with those today, but in this case i mean't "MOSFET GATE" driver!

it's the IXYS  IXD604  http://ixapps.ixys.com/DataSheet/IXD_604.pdf

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:34:26 pm »
What kind of noise, signal and transmission line are you working with that this even makes sense? A couple kHz signal over a long unshielded single conductor with earth return?

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:15:56 pm »
The easiest would bee to out a small resistor in thee output, preferably before the nfb pick-up.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:26 pm »
What kind of noise, signal and transmission line are you working with that this even makes sense? A couple kHz signal over a long unshielded single conductor with earth return?

The signal is a speed control signal to a high power but rather "Noisy" brushless motor controller.  Clamping the line hard to vcc or gnd keeps the duty cycle non distorted, even though there is a relatively high impedance on the end of the line.  The loom is also a bit of an issue because the signal line runs alongside the power lines, and is not necessarily guaranteed to be shielded.

By capacitively coupling the driver to it's power rails, i was wondering if that would maintain the sharp edges and AC noise immunity, but allow me to install a sensible DC resistance to prevent any shorts to power lines causing the driver to fail??

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 02:37:01 pm »
Having a driver with a low impedance does not help avoiding noise coupled into the cable, because of the inductance of the wire the rf impedance of the cable will be much higher than the driver's output impedance.
Instead of using a oversized mosfet driver I would use a differential line driver and a twisted pair cable. It should rejecte the noise much better than any unshielded cable.
Maybe you can use a CAN transceiver, it can tolerate shorts to GND or supply rails.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:45:58 pm by bktemp »

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 05:00:57 am »
Sharp edges have high frequency components and at high enough frequencies the cable has high impedance, the driver can do little to preserve those edges. But if the cable is very short relative to the wavelength of the signal and the controller has a low pass filter on it's input the low impedance driver can help. A low impedance driver will suppress 50 Hz hum on a couple meter of wire, but it won't do much against the interference caused by snap off in the body diodes of MOSFETs in an electrical motor driver.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:04:45 am by Marco »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 08:17:34 am »
The signal is a speed control signal to a high power but rather "Noisy" brushless motor controller.  Clamping the line hard to vcc or gnd keeps the duty cycle non distorted, even though there is a relatively high impedance on the end of the line.  The loom is also a bit of an issue because the signal line runs alongside the power lines, and is not necessarily guaranteed to be shielded.

By capacitively coupling the driver to it's power rails, i was wondering if that would maintain the sharp edges and AC noise immunity, but allow me to install a sensible DC resistance to prevent any shorts to power lines causing the driver to fail??

It sounds like you want an RS-232 transmitter.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 02:39:52 pm »
just run a wave guide

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf