Author Topic: Dot matrix clock project *COMPLETED*  (Read 19244 times)

Offline ArpTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Henriks bits n pieces
Re: Dot matrix clock project *COMPLETED*
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 12:52:47 pm »
It's pretty messy right now with a lot of experimenting and redundant code, but I'll clean it up and post a link here asap

Offline ArpTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Henriks bits n pieces
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 08:13:26 pm »
I have bought the Dot matrix Too , would you mind sharing your code and a brief explanatation
thanks in advance
shailesh

Here's the XC32 project. It is pretty crude, so sorry about the lack of comments, but it should be pretty straight forward. The DateTime library doesn't support decrement of time as I only needed increments, but can be pretty easily added.

Basically there's an interrupt trigger on the UART (GPS) that updates the led modules.  There is supposed to be a DS3232 backup when lacking GPS data, but didn't need to implement it as it works pretty good once it gets a lock. There are still some kinks but nothing mayor :D

*edit* managed to introduce a bug cleaning the code dealing with the ds3232 or gps. Clock suddenly stopped ticking on the night stand. I will have to go through it and post an update :o

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:08:15 pm by Arp »

Offline Porto

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 07:22:36 pm »
I am very interested in assembling such clock myself but have much to learn I guess... ;)

e.g. When I start reading this thread I thought this was an Arduino project but I don't recognize the files in your uploaded .zip file, can you clarify
in what code this is written?  :-//

Do you have the schematics of the PCB's used?

Thanks and great job!  :-+

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:18 pm »
The source code is written in C++ and the microcontroller is a PIC32 from Microchip.

Arduino uses a custom wrapper around the C language, which is simpler than C++.  You can write programs in C and compile them for Arduino or you can adapt the code in the zip to the arduino quite easily, but the arduino may not have enough memory to fit all the code in it..

Offline ArpTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Henriks bits n pieces
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 09:54:07 am »
Beat me to it. It's a MPLAB X project that uses the XC32 compiler. My first "real" attempt on C++

I'll send you some screen caps from the PCB software. Most was drawn in PCB layout view so there really is no schematic. Maxim data sheets contains a lot of information and minimum configuration schematic and that's what I used drawing out the tracks and pads

Offline Porto

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:43 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for the replies, I understand now.

I will try to compile it to Arduino platform if it lets me because of the size.

I'm very new to Arduino and C coding so I have still a (very) long way to go.  :-[

Offline Mr Smiley

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 07:15:51 pm »
About fake max7219 ic's.

This guy has tested several and shows his results

They all worked

http://tronixstuff.com/2013/05/16/the-max7219-led-display-controller-real-or-fake/

:)
There is enough on this planet to sustain mans needs. There will never be enough on this planet to sustain mans greed.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 07:31:59 pm »
Where did you source the 8x8 displays? There are lots cheap on ebay but I'm wondering if poor variation in brightness will be annoying...

Offline ArpTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Henriks bits n pieces
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 06:49:17 am »
Where did you source the 8x8 displays? There are lots cheap on ebay but I'm wondering if poor variation in brightness will be annoying...

Bought the cheapest modules I was able to find on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-8x8-Dot-Matrix-5mm-Red-LED-Display-Common-cathode-/170666713027?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Didn't notice any variation in brightness, all thou one module had a dead pixel. It was at the corner, so never bothered to change it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf