Author Topic: intro / questions on Denon DP47f  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Uncle Fester on AcidTopic starter

• my artist page
intro / questions on Denon DP47f
« on: January 06, 2024, 11:28:01 am »
Hello and greetings from the Netherlands,

My name is Patrick (57) and I've been a big music/audio fan all my life ;-)
I'm living with an essential tremor (think Parkinson light, where it's not lethal at all) and it makes life a bit more difficult as age progresses: especially while operating my dearly beloved Michell Orbe turntable. So I've been 'in need' of a fully automatic one and the choice was a Denon DP47f. I really like it, and now some questions are rising re use, (preventive) maintenance and maybe upgrading the thingy. Maybe someone up here can help?

1st of all re strength of the motor: I have used a (+/-) 600gr puck to level the table and this really improves the sound. To avoid pulling (too) much from the motor I only put it on once it has reached the desired speed. Anyone can tell if I should worry for long term use? Or am I worried for nothing and can I use the puck even before starting her up?

2nd: an audio friend/technician, who has already modified my Klipsch La Scala speakers to just a wonderful result, offered to replace electrolytic capacitors, transformers and/or whatever is needed. I've already agreed to replace original cables into a power socket (so I can use any power cable) and to install Furutech RCA sockets.
Although the Denon is in a 9/10 state and runs beautifully, this raises 'some' more questions anyway:

- replace E.C. and/or T. even preventively, even if no problems are occurring at the moment?
- if yes: any suggestions to what E.C.s and/or T's to use?
- anything else I should take into. consideration?

3rd: actual upgrades - I'm aware what level I'm on with a (already modified) Michell Orbe with a SME IV tone arm and don't have any illusion that my Denon will ever match or even exceed that kind of level. But I would just like to see what's possible and where I can take a turntable of which I'm already in love with ;-)

- re headshell: anybody over here know if there are any upgrades known (and if yes, how to acquire) ?
- is there a tone arm I could think of?
- are there any other upgrades known?

Thank you very much for taking the time and read this, any suggestions are highly appreciated ;-)

Best regards,
Patrick

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: intro / questions on Denon DP47f
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 01:51:49 pm »
I think you would get better answers on Steve Hoffman audio forums ....

https://www.stevehoffman.tv/

playing with mods etc ...  for an audiophile like you,  is better served there
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 01:53:47 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline Uncle Fester on AcidTopic starter

• my artist page
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 09:26:20 am »
thank you ;-)

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 01:11:48 pm »
Suggestion: Save your money.
1.) The platter itself is usually quite heavy, so I don't think the puck will matter when you put it on while running. Keep in mind - the puck will help with warped discs, but will otherwise have (almost) no effect. If it *does* have an effect, the player itself is crap.
2.) I guess the cabling per se is just fine, why spend money on that? Other than a way longer power cable, there is no reason for modification. Second, I really like the looks of teh Furutech stuff, but don't expect a better sounding system. It is for looks, and for looks only.
3.) Why so little trust in Denons' engineers? I would assume their arm is just fine with a perfect matching geometry. adjusting the shell will have *much* more impact on the sound.

If you really want to improve the system, get a really nice headshell (not audiophool-voodoo-priced, I guess 500-700 will get you a really nice one) and a nice phono preamp and a nice amp - if you don't already have those.
It is my fixed opinion: All money spent for cables etc. is as complete waste of money. Modification of equipment hardly ever makes any sense, the money is better spent on better equipment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf