Author Topic: Lars DIY GPSDO with Arduino and 1ns resolution TIC  (Read 300750 times)

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
Re: Lars DIY GPSDO with Arduino and 1ns resolution TIC
« Reply #525 on: August 16, 2020, 11:53:03 am »
My take on that is that maybe the delta temperatures between the ambient and the desired oven temperatures where becoming too small, and the oven jumped to a higher temperature setting.

You should see that jump in the supply current so monitor it.
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

The following users thanked this post: Dbldutch

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #526 on: August 16, 2020, 01:06:52 pm »
thermal mass. (like very fine clean and and pure sand) would help, but would be a bit of a PITA perhaps.

I was thinking of this.

http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/hware/mirisdr/thermal.htm

After I took the insulation away from the OCXO's and ran the measurements again for several days, I have decided to put them back on.

Even with the DAC temperature compensation activated, the dependency of my GPSDO systems are too sensitive to the room temperature changes. So much so that I'm loosing lock constantly, while I ran for months without problems when they were boxed in. I only took the insulation away because it seemed that the OCXO oven temperature regulation was misbehaving when the room temperatures were in the order of 30 degrees C, during the current heatwave. My take on that is that maybe the delta temperatures between the ambient and the desired oven temperatures where becoming too small, and the oven jumped to a higher temperature setting.

I think I can live with that effect during a heat wave, rather then having them so sensitive to the room temperatures.

The alternative could be to put my metal enclosed GPSDO system wrapped in insulation inside another plastic enclosure to shield it better from "sudden" room temperature changes.

Has anybody collected experience using that approach?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline 0xFFF0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #527 on: August 17, 2020, 11:30:23 am »
Hi,
I built Lars' circuit and connected a Ublox Neo 7M. But I don't get stable ns tics. If I feed in 1Hz from a function gen, then I get a Lock. Do I have to make further settings in the U-Center? Where could the problem be?

Code: [Select]
time ns dac temp status diff_ns filtX10 tc filt timer1 temp1
38 38906 43622 0 NoLock 23996 184080 32 1 25228 0 1088 -1 65535 65535
539 28908 43692 0 NoLock -9998 184080 32 1 25177 0 1089 -1 65535 65535
540 -27090 43761 0 NoLock -55998 184080 32 1 24897 0 1090 -1 65535 65535
541 -54094 43831 0 NoLock -27004 184080 32 1 24763 0 1091 -1 65535 65535
542 37909 43901 0 NoLock 92003 184080 32 1 25222 0 1092 -1 65535 65535
543 28906 43971 0 NoLock -9003 184080 32 1 25178 0 1093 -1 65535 65535
544 -1090 44041 0 NoLock -29996 184080 32 1 25028 0 1094 -1 65535 65535
545 2905 38426 0 NoLock 3995 34030 32 1 25048 0 1095 -1 65535 65535
546 29906 38437 0 NoLock 27001 34030 32 1 25183 0 1096 -1 65535 65535

The following users thanked this post: Fennec

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #528 on: August 18, 2020, 08:42:49 pm »
Maybe the LO frequency is waay off...
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Dbldutch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #529 on: August 19, 2020, 07:07:42 am »
0xFFF0,

Very strange results you have...

Can you use a scope and look at both the 1PPS from the NEO and the 1Hz from your function generator?
Trigger the scope on the 1Hz signal.
The 1PPS will jitter about 20nS but otherwise should be stable. Both signals will slowly drift, but there should be no jumps.

In U-Center, you can exclude sats with a signal strength of less than 20dB. How many sats will then roughly remain?
Do you have a good view of the sky, meaning all around you (360 degrees), or is it severely restricted?
What kind of antenna do you use, and where is it located.
Can you post a picture of the GPS board?
Post a screenshot of u-center after it ran for at least an hour or so. (the longer the better)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:10:35 am by Dbldutch »

Offline Dbldutch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #530 on: August 21, 2020, 12:08:29 pm »
I have been working on getting the temperature compensation running on my Oscilloquartz and Trimble OCXO's and wanted to share the before and after so you can see the effect.

I can only show three graphs and I need four so I will split the two OCXO's.
Here are the before and after for the Oscilloquartz.

You can clearly see that at first, the DAC values follow the OCXO temperature. This will skew the reports when you use TimeLab, because it uses the DAC values to calculate the 10MHz frequency stability. If the DAC moves around based on the temperature effects, so will the frequency, and this will show up in the TimeLab graphs. If we can eliminate, or reduce the temperature effect, the representation in TimeLab is much closer to the GPS disciplined OCXO reality, which is what we want.

After the temperature compensation is activated, you can see that the temperature now has a much more reduced effect on the DAC.

Offline Dbldutch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #531 on: August 21, 2020, 12:10:51 pm »
And here are the before and after for the Trimble.
After calculating the values, and running for a day, I actually tweaked the compensation by hand to get more accuracy.

Offline 0xFFF0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #532 on: August 21, 2020, 03:20:39 pm »
0xFFF0,

Very strange results you have...

Can you use a scope and look at both the 1PPS from the NEO and the 1Hz from your function generator?
Trigger the scope on the 1Hz signal.
The 1PPS will jitter about 20nS but otherwise should be stable. Both signals will slowly drift, but there should be no jumps.

In U-Center, you can exclude sats with a signal strength of less than 20dB. How many sats will then roughly remain?
Do you have a good view of the sky, meaning all around you (360 degrees), or is it severely restricted?
What kind of antenna do you use, and where is it located.
Can you post a picture of the GPS board?
Post a screenshot of u-center after it ran for at least an hour or so. (the longer the better)

Good luck!

Could it be that I have a Neo7 where the settings cannot be changed? I've seen that there are devices with ROM. Changes are always lost.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #533 on: August 21, 2020, 04:04:17 pm »
It could be you have a counterfeit that isn't a NEO7 at all ;) Everything is possible.

But anyway, if you haven't grossly misconfigured Lars' software, it should achieve lock even with default GPS settings. Most importantly you need to set the gain correctly for your OCXO.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 04:05:59 pm by thinkfat »

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #534 on: August 21, 2020, 04:21:26 pm »
Could it be that I have a Neo7 where the settings cannot be changed? I've seen that there are devices with ROM. Changes are always lost.

Jepp, most Clones has no flash ram. You can check it in U-Center.
https://portal.u-blox.com/s/question/0D52p00008HKEEECA5/psa-fake-ublox-modules-and-potential-ways-to-identify-them

it should achieve lock even with default GPS settings.

Nahh, not really. If you set the U-blox M7N to Gallileo Satellites, you have a more accurate System, because Gallileo works with Maser-Clocks only.
Too many Satellites are not really good for the accuracy. We had the same theme in the BG7TBL thread.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 04:44:31 pm by Fennec »

Offline 0xFFF0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #535 on: August 21, 2020, 05:29:55 pm »
Seems to be okay, but with ROM.

??:??:??  $GPTXT,01,01,02,u-blox ag - www.u-blox.com*50
??:??:??  $GPTXT,01,01,02,HW  UBX-G70xx   00070000 *77
??:??:??  $GPTXT,01,01,02,ROM CORE 1.00 (59842) Jun 27 2012 17:43:52*59
??:??:??  $GPTXT,01,01,02,PROTVER 14.00*1E
??:??:??  $GPTXT,01,01,02,ANTSUPERV=AC SD PDoS SR*20
??:??:??  $GPTXT,01,01,02,ANTSTATUS=DONTKNOW*33
??:??:??  $GPTXT,01,01,02,LLC FFFFFFFF-FFFFFFED-FFFFFFFF-FFFFFFFF-FFFFFFFD*2D

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #536 on: August 21, 2020, 06:41:00 pm »

Jepp, most Clones has no flash ram. You can check it in U-Center.
https://portal.u-blox.com/s/question/0D52p00008HKEEECA5/psa-fake-ublox-modules-and-potential-ways-to-identify-them

it should achieve lock even with default GPS settings.

Nahh, not really. If you set the U-blox M7N to Gallileo Satellites, you have a more accurate System, because Gallileo works with Maser-Clocks only.
Too many Satellites are not really good for the accuracy. We had the same theme in the BG7TBL thread.

For a DIY GPSDO Lars-style, it doesn't matter if you use Galileo or GPS. It should still lock if you use a small enough time constant. As long as the time pulse is in the right ballpark, it'll be fine.

Anyway I don't believe the stability of the Galileo master clock can be transferred to the receiver, with all the uncertainty added by the transmission medium.

Offline Dbldutch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #537 on: August 22, 2020, 10:21:32 am »
Fennec,

We had the same theme in the BG7TBL thread.
Can you please point to that section? there are way too many threads to plow through.
Thank you!

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #538 on: August 23, 2020, 02:42:50 am »
After I took the insulation away from the OCXO's and ran the measurements again for several days, I have decided to put them back on.

Even with the DAC temperature compensation activated, the dependency of my GPSDO systems are too sensitive to the room temperature changes. So much so that I'm loosing lock constantly, while I ran for months without problems when they were boxed in. I only took the insulation away because it seemed that the OCXO oven temperature regulation was misbehaving when the room temperatures were in the order of 30 degrees C, during the current heatwave. My take on that is that maybe the delta temperatures between the ambient and the desired oven temperatures where becoming too small, and the oven jumped to a higher temperature setting.

I think I can live with that effect during a heat wave, rather then having them so sensitive to the room temperatures.

The alternative could be to put my metal enclosed GPSDO system wrapped in insulation inside another plastic enclosure to shield it better from "sudden" room temperature changes.

Has anybody collected experience using that approach?

Whilst that would filter out the effect of sudden changes in ambient temperature, it does have the downside of elevating the operating temperatures of all the other components, notably that of any electrolytic capacitors which are best kept as cool as possible to maximise their limited service lifetime ratings. Solid state devices will generally be more tolerant of elevated temperatures unless they already run hot to begin with at more normal ambient temperatures.

Incidentally, the best OCXOs using true SC cut xtals have their oven temperature set point at 92 deg C, according to this article I found when trying to refresh my memory of the "Facts"

https://4timing.com/techcrystal.htm

Istr seeing temperature figures of 75 to 85 deg being mentioned for OCXO oven set point temperatures. That's significantly higher than I'd remembered but it does explain the upper ambient temperature limits of 80 deg I'd seen quoted for some OCXOs.

That higher temperature set point is all to the good since this provides a healthy leeway on just how much thermal insulation you can get away with for any given expected maximum interior case temperature without losing control of the oven set point temperature. With typically less than 100mW for the LDO, the oven controller and the oscillator itself, I guess you can probably take the OCXO's case temperature to within 5 or 10 deg of the oven's set point before compromising its stability.

IOW, your hypothesis over the OCXO switching to a higher set point temperature is somewhat in error, not the least because, should such an algorithm even exist, it seems rather unlikely with this Lars based design that the temperature would have increased to the point where such an action would ever be called upon. The point of the oven is simply to maintain the xtal oscillator at a precise temperature over a very wide range of external temperatures and nothing more. If the external temperature exceeds the manufacturer's limits, there's no fancy algorithm that can rescue the situation.

I'm surmising that since the device controlling the heater current also happens to be the heating element itself (a small tabbed plastic power transistor or two), control could simply take the form of an analogue negative feedback proportional controller (no need for fancy PWM to control a separate resistive heating element to avoid the switching device contributing any of its losses into the mix as well as any spurious switching transient noise from a microcontroller running a PID control algorithm (True SC cut somewhat eases the oven set point temperature precision requirements). However, that article didn't go into such detail with regard to oven controllers - that's just an 'educated' guess on my part and I'm probably way off the mark, being the long suffering serial victim of Sod's Law that I am >:(.

If you've managed to exclude any highly stressed electrolytics from the design, you could try adding a heating element to keep the interior at a moderately high set temperature, say another five to ten degrees higher than you'd expect to see under maximum temperature heatwave conditions otherwise your best bet would be simply to house the OXCO within its own little thermo regulated housing (assuming it isn't a double ovened OCXO to begin with).

Incidentally, you're not the only one experiencing peculiar VFC variations which, in my case, seem to be an OCXO issue quite possibly related to its oven controller or the 5 to 12v boost converter I'm using to power it. My MK II GPSDO (a modernised version of the James Miller design using a u-blox M8T) has been showing several millivolts variations over and above those expected from ionospheric errors over the past week or so since it was last powered up.

It's well at odds with the experience I'd had with the MK I's "Five Volt" 13MHz OCXO retrace behaviour where, for example,  it would lock in at 3.293v and gently drop to 3.289 over the next two or three days before increasing back to the 3.293v mark to resume its 2mV or so per week upward ageing trend.

The MK II did a similar retrace over the first day or two (2.2815v dropping to 2.2791v) before increasing right up to a peak of 2.2860v a few days later only to drop down to around the 2.2835 volt mark where it's been hovering up and down by a millivolt or two ever since, way more than can be accounted for by uncorrected ionospheric errors alone.

It's a real puzzle which warrants further investigation with a Rubidium frequency standard which, according to the rather pompously named "Global Shipping Programme"'s latest email last Wednesday " has cleared customs and is now out for delivery with the courier" (at their Erlanger shipping centre in Kentucky???  :wtf:).

Presumably, according to my all knowing brother in law, it's now awaiting cargo space on the next available commercial airline flight which, thanks to the Covid 19 travel restrictions, are now in rather short supply. ::) :palm:

In the meantime whilst 'm awaiting delivery of that LPRO-101, I might as well carry on monitoring the EFC voltage before opening the MK II up to monitor the OCXO's 12v supply rail (I can already monitor the 5.310v Vcc rail through the sma socket I wired up to let me run FFT spectrum traces of its noise and ripple content via a 4u7 ceramic DC block bypassed with a 1KR to let me measure the voltage with a DMM without any need to open up the enclosure). There seems little point in disturbing it until I've got my Rubidium frequency standard all set up and ready to go.

If you do decide to run that experiment, do take care to avoid thermally overstressing any expensive components. It may fail but even a failed experiment leaves you a little wiser and hopefully not too out of pocket if you took enough care not to overstress anything expensive.

Unless you have a bad one, I rather doubt the OCXO is that sensitive to external temperature shifts as to cause the microcontroller to 'lose it big time'. It's either a flaw in the control algorithm or else a component that has an inordinately high tempco which is not being properly accounted for.

Past temperature related problems with this Lars design all seem to have arisen during initial testing outside of any enclosure where draughts and/or solar insolation have created fast temperature transients which more or less disappear once the project has been installed into its enclosure or simply shielded from those influences. In your case, boxing it up hasn't cured it of its seemingly inordinate sensitivity to external changes of temperature. The problem might simply be a wiring error or else something you've overlooked.

You might need to give it a few more coats of "Good looking at" to figure out the true cause of this temperature induced instability you're experiencing. Otoh, taking a few days break can often work wonders by allowing you to take a fresh look at the problem.  :)

JBG
John

Offline Dbldutch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #539 on: August 23, 2020, 12:34:52 pm »
Has somebody figured out how to derive and display the true OCXO frequency from the data provided by the Lars program?  :-//

I have tried the TimeLab method in Excel but that only works well when you subtract the frequency offset and the drift line and these statistical numbers are not available in the Lars program.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #540 on: August 23, 2020, 01:16:04 pm »
Has somebody figured out how to derive and display the true OCXO frequency from the data provided by the Lars program?  :-//

I have tried the TimeLab method in Excel but that only works well when you subtract the frequency offset and the drift line and these statistical numbers are not available in the Lars program.

Even TimeLab cannot do that. It will display "something" because it cannot know how the data it is being fed was generated, and probably all assumptions on what the number represents are broken anyway. So it will not be a "true OCXO frequency". It's only a number with an unknown relation to the true OCXO frequency.

Offline Dbldutch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #541 on: August 23, 2020, 06:33:58 pm »
I think you can get really close though.
Consider that over a long enough period, like a day or more, the average DAC setting must be very close to the ideal 10Mhz by virtue of the GPS disciplining.
If you used that averaged DAC number, and subtract the actual DAC value from it, you get a delta of the ideal 10MHz.
If you multiply that delta with the gain multiplied with 1E-9 you get an offset in absolute fractions of a Hz.
My assumption is that this is the way TimeLab does it.

I tried that in Excel and it gets really close.
The challenge of course is in getting absolute values based on past averages, and we will never know exactly how close they are to the real thing.

I also have to assume that the display of the OCXO frequency on the BG7TBL is done the same way.
Or is there another trick?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #542 on: August 23, 2020, 07:45:52 pm »
The display would always round out to be less (maybe a lot less) than 1 significant digit away from 10,000,000 - but it might be hard to tell how much if the accuracy variation was in the millihertz range, as what do you compare it to?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:58:58 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #543 on: August 23, 2020, 08:59:55 pm »
The display would always round out to be less (maybe a lot less) than 1 significant digit away from 10,000,000 - but it might be hard to tell how much if the accuracy variation was in the millihertz range, as what do you compare it to?

Ultimately, the reference is of course the GNSS. The idea to use the DAC average (better, the DAC bias term in Lars PI loop) to be the "true" 10MHz and then compute the frequency offset in terms of DAC deviation from this "true" value has some merit, but unless you can compute the uncertainty of that value, it's useless to output anything. Moreover, this average is moving up and down quite a bit first and foremost due to thermal effects, so unless you can compensate all these effects perfectly, the DAC values are not worth a lot.

Offline Mike99

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #544 on: August 26, 2020, 06:41:27 pm »
Hi everyone

After researching various designs for a GPSDO I settled on the Lars solution.

I've built it up and it works, but with a couple of issues. Sorry if these have been covered already, I have read most of the posts on this thread!

When I switch it on I get regular "Missing 10MHz?" for about 15 minutes, even though the 10MHz input is a good 5V p-p square wave. Eventually it will lock and the message no longer appears. Is there a setting I can tweak to stop this?

Also, it loses lock if I close the Arduino Serial Monitor. Shouldn't it run standalone?

TIA

Mike

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #545 on: August 26, 2020, 07:00:40 pm »
Also, it loses lock if I close the Arduino Serial Monitor. Shouldn't it run standalone?

I have seen ardu namo's w. USB misbehave if you write from the ardu (seial usb) wo having a terminal open.
I did a check if usb serial was ready , before writing.

But maybe that's already in the Lars Source

/Bingo

Offline Mike99

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #546 on: August 26, 2020, 07:46:32 pm »

I have seen ardu namo's w. USB misbehave if you write from the ardu (seial usb) wo having a terminal open.
I did a check if usb serial was ready , before writing.

But maybe that's already in the Lars Source

/Bingo

But if I switch the GPSDO on without a serial connection shouldn't it run and lock?

Mike

Offline Mike99

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #547 on: August 27, 2020, 06:35:00 am »
OK I understand now.

The Arduino resets when you connect/disconnect the serial bus.  :palm:

So much to learn ...

Mike

Offline 0xFFF0

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Mike99

Offline Mike99

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #549 on: August 29, 2020, 09:17:56 am »
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=500176.0]

Thank you sir, the 10uF solved the problem.

Now I have a working system. The "Missing 10MHz?" message stops after warm up and it locks reasonably quickly.

I ran a 12 hour MDEV measurement to get the hang of how TimeLab works.

Please could someone explain how to optimise the time constant, as I don't really understand the instructions that Lars wrote. Set the GPSDO into hold mode, but then what?

Thanks

Mike
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:19:39 am by Mike99 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf