Author Topic: can you reevacuate a light bulb?  (Read 800 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
can you reevacuate a light bulb?
« on: September 28, 2024, 06:42:48 am »
If I wanted to take the filament out of a light bulb and put it in another container, assuming I got the proper atmosphere, would it be OK?

I am also wondering if its OK to put it in a thick acrylic tube that is sealed up. It says its only 0.7ATM

It would be for intermittent use, I think it would take a while for it to get hot

The idea was a 'singular' inrush current limiter that is controlled by a rotary switch kinda like a rheostat to adjust the resistance. for fun

tapped light bulb
« Last Edit: September 28, 2024, 07:00:14 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Bryn

• Regular Contributor
    • mindsConnected
Re: can you reevacuate a light bulb?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2024, 07:11:38 am »
The first thing you asked about isn't really advisable to do, as the filament of a light bulb is designed for a specific environment.

For the second thing asked about, while this may protect it from immediate exposure to air (and reduce the likelihood of oxidisation), it would easily break because it's so fragile.

So really, both things are not really practical and you shouldn't really attempt to do them...
mindsConnected
Alternate tech forum for all... recently reopened (as of 15/9/24)
We welcome engineers also!

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2024, 07:15:14 am »
Well I meant the whole assembly to the stem, not cutting off the spring.

I think you can arrange a bunch of them in some circle shape to make a tapped light bulb for inrush limiting purposes

I found a large glass tube actually, I think an indium seal can be made (low effort low cost project)

its not supposed to really shine, if it glows you turn it off. I even thought a LDR can be used to turn it off if there is a high current condition so it does not melt down
« Last Edit: September 28, 2024, 07:16:52 am by coppercone2 »

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2024, 10:17:27 am »
Modern (if you can call them modern now) filament lamps use a low pressure Argon filling, not vacuum.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2024, 10:43:06 am »
The idea was a 'singular' inrush current limiter that is controlled by a rotary switch kinda like a rheostat to adjust the resistance. for fun

tapped light bulb

I'd suggest, getting a (cheap) pack of perhaps x10 12 volt (or different voltage) possibly automotive, (somewhat small) bulbs, of suitable wattage.

Then stringing them together, in series, so you can choose which tap you want.

The raw bulb filaments, are (as I understand it, but I could be wrong), extremely weak and fragile (without the intricate supports, built into bulbs, at various points), so I doubt you would have much luck, trying to solder (or other methods) to them.

If you insist on going that route, then perhaps use some kind of resistance wire.  There are a number of types.

You could use 1.5V, 3V, 6V, 12V, 24V, 48V, bulbs, with (binary like) switches, to enable a wide variety of voltage settings.

Offline Xena E

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2024, 01:12:11 pm »
There's no real need for pumping down to vacuum, you're not making an electron tube. For your suggested method of use you just need to exclude oxygen.

(OK if the filament doesn't get too hot.)

That can be done by displacement with another gas, or just burning it off!

For a limiter, standard mains lamps are best, chosen for the greatest cold/hot resistance variation, run in series and parallel to achieve the best effect, (leave them intact).

The ultimate is the iron filament in hydrogen barretter.

Good luck creating one of those!

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2024, 03:53:37 pm »
Not sure how many taps you need, but a tri-light type bulb can give you 3 series resistance values in a single bulb. (filament A, filament B, Filament A&B in parallel)
Or a single tap between the two filaments if you wire it differently.

For lower voltages you could use an old automotive tail light bulb with the two filaments in the same manner.
But as already mentioned, if you want more taps, then simply a string of lower voltage bulbs in series makes the most practical sense.

For pure interest sake, many DIY vacuum tubes have been made with repurposed lightbulb filaments. But it's finicky stuff.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2024, 03:59:41 pm by Kim Christensen »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2024, 05:53:54 pm »
Should work perfectly fine, did that quite often to create cheap cathodes in a vacuum chamber. The lifetime of the filament is quite short in vacuum, you really should evacuate the tube, fill with argon or nitrogen, do that 1-2 times to flush out the residual oxygen, and then leave it at ~700 mbar.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:17:10 pm »
I am thinking about how many taps. would be cool for a adjustable variable dim bulb limiter. A 400W one with 25 W taps might be feasible to put in this large tube I have (I think its glass pipe from a dairy factory).

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:16:14 am »
and a mini one with 5W bulbs and 50W max. THen a micro one with 1W bulbs 10W max. Then you can dial a precise current limit to the watt you want. I wonder what it would do for repair of shitty circuits.  >:(

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:58:34 am »
Or with a similar amount of effort hook up a set of saturable transformers so you can gang them in as current needs increase.

You can put the filament version in a wooden box as long as you keep bleeding in Argon during use and during a prep period (think of the prep for a deep sea dive where you purge nitrogen from your blood).  A welding tank should last for years of normal troubleshooting activity.

I've not actually measured it, but the heavy duty coils used in portable room heaters should have non-linear resistance also, and are robust enough to operate for long times in air.

Lots of ways to kluge together something along the lines you are looking for, though your approach would give more visual effects than most.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 04:14:50 am »
I've not actually measured it, but the heavy duty coils used in portable room heaters should have non-linear resistance also, and are robust enough to operate for long times in air.

I think they use special alloys, to give a relatively stable resistance, despite big changes in temperature.  Otherwise, assuming the heater is somewhat close to the main fuse(s) ratings, wiring and socket current limits.  It would tend to overload the fuses, wires and sockets, during initial heating, with corresponding risks of blowing fuses, etc.

E.g. Nichrome wire, which has a relatively small change in resistance with temperature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichrome

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12 on: Today at 04:39:36 am »
well I am havin trouble attaching indium tin to anything other then the crucible it was melted in. It reminds me of aluminum soldering. I can't seem to do anything in the shop other then drill holes good lol :palm:

all these processes that always fail for me have to do with "cleanlyness" I guess it means im a mega dirty bastard
« Last Edit: Today at 04:41:18 am by coppercone2 »

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Today at 04:52:39 am »
Nile Red beat you to it.  And you do not need a vacuum, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aFJ1ThX8XHU

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf