Author Topic: Could a CT secondary be connected to a Hall Effect sensor instead of a burden?  (Read 481 times)

Offline unscriptedTopic starter

• Contributor
Current transformer secondary is usually connected to a burden resistor. Would it be a good practice to connect it to a Hall effect sensor IC instead? Basically the CT secondary would see a shorted path through the primary path of the Hall effect.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Current transformer secondary is usually connected to a burden resistor. Would it be a good practice to connect it to a Hall effect sensor IC instead? Basically the CT secondary would see a shorted path through the primary path of the Hall effect.
What is the goal? It sounds like you are trying to achieve a multiplier effect. What's wrong with using a more sensitive sense amp?

The resistance of a hall device isn't very stable. However, unless it sometimes gets high enough that the CT starts to loose linearity you should be OK for accuracy. As with any form of sensing from a CT, watch out for surge currents hitting the hall device too hard. Fault current surges can be pretty enormous.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 03:15:11 pm by coppice »

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
You could do it, but what is the goal?  I don't think it would do anything useful, at least in most cases.

The reason you use a hall sensor for current measurement is that you want galvanic isolation and common mode rejection or that you have a large current and you want to avoid dissipation in a sense resistor.  A current transformer provides all of these benefits -- isolation and common mode rejection by being a transformer and impedance transformation by having a large turns ratio.  The main disadvantage of current transformers is that they don't work at DC, while hall sensors do, but if you cascade them you loose that benefit.

If the current dissipation in the CT load resistor is too high, that's a sign that the turns ratio is too low.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Yes, there's no reason not to.

As to why? I can think of a reason why. For example if the board is already made with Hall effect sensor, say to sense 5A and you want to use it to measure a much higher current, the easiest option would be to connect it to a current transformer.

Offline Xena E

• Frequent Contributor
I don't understand the goal either, but a CT without a correctly defined load is a destructive event waiting to happen.

It's the achilles heel of GFI/RCD's.

A short circuit situation on the load side of those, often blows them to pieces because incoming overcurrent protection can't operate fast enough.

Yes, there's no reason not to.

As to why? I can think of a reason why. For example if the board is already made with Hall effect sensor, say to sense 5A and you want to use it to measure a much higher current, the easiest option would be to connect it to a current transformer.

If, OTOH you wish to measure lower currents, just pass the primary through the CT more turns to decrease the primary/secondary ratio.

X

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
Zero999: Do CT‘s with such a high secondary current exist?
I only came across types with sensor like secondary ratings and high transfer ratios…
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 07:27:47 am by inse »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
The common CT come with a rather large truns ratio, like 1:100 or 1:1000. However there is no problem making a CT with a smaller turns ratio.

There is rather little sense in using a hall sensor behind a CT. If one really cases about the burnden to get good linearity one could use a transimpedance amplifier and one step further even with a serate sense and feedback winding to also compensate for much of the winding resistance.
For protection a pair of anti-parallel diodes in parallel to the shunt is quite effective.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
I only came across types with sensor like secondary ratings and high transfer ratios…
5A appears to be a very common secondary current rating for a CT.
https://www.rsisolsec.com/en/technical-support/select-a-current-transformer/

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
5A appears to be a very common secondary current rating for a CT.
https://www.rsisolsec.com/en/technical-support/select-a-current-transformer/
Yes, 5A and 6A are common CT output ratings, and are used as secondary multiplier CTs in light industry. A lot of 5A or 6A max 3 phases utility meters are manufactured to go with these. Three chunky CTs go around the thick cables carrying hundreds or thousands of amps, and three nice formable 5A/6A circuits go to the energy meter.

A lot of people hate these things, as if anything happens to the 5A/6A circuit, and a CT loses its burden, bad bad things may happen.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 11:53:24 am by coppice »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf