Author Topic: Convert HDMI video to CVBS  (Read 807 times)

Offline cloidneruxTopic starter

• Contributor
Convert HDMI video to CVBS
« on: February 08, 2020, 09:05:45 pm »
Hello,

so I brought myself in some bad situation:
The customer wants a solution to convert HDMI from a Camera that only outputs FHD to CVBS/PAL for wireless analog video transmission. Easy enough, shouldn't be a problem. Amazon lists these converters for like 10€. Customer, of course, wants industrial temperature range, somewhat trustworthy components and an isolated CVBS output, in the end it's expensive gear mounted to a drone or crane.
So, the initial solution brings up some HDMI receivers and analog video encoders, but after some more digging of course none of them have a scaler, so no CVBS output from this solution.

So, quick check what's available as a scaler: Nothing, really, at least not in industrial temperature range.

Who would have guessed that interfacing with 57-year-old technology is such a big problem?

The ICs used in the cheap converters are of course some "obscure" Chinese parts. All in all, I found one AverLogic, two Chrontel and one Macro Silicon part that is on the converter I have but is not listed on the manufacturer's website.

So here I am, some weeks to find some solution that is not prohibitively expensive, can input 1080p@60Hz and is industrial rated.
Anyone has any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:12:55 pm by cloidnerux »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Convert HDMI video to CVBS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 02:07:51 am »
Just get a fairly cheap converter from a somewhat trustworthy brand like Startech, replace any electrolytic caps with high temperature versions from a good brand, add bigger than necessary heatsinks on every chip that gets noticeably warm, and finish off by doing your own temperature validation before sending to customer? (How many units are we talking about?)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 10:20:16 am »
Any DIY  HDMI device will encounter DRM issues, involving medium liscencing.

Startech is a good brand and has good support

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline cloidneruxTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 02:32:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
We don't care about DRM, because it is not intended for consumer stuff. The source it will be connected to has no DRM.

I will look into the StarTech products.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:13:53 pm by cloidnerux »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf