Author Topic: Identifying the circularconnector in a Leica 2-axis microscope stage  (Read 714 times)

Offline amaschasTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • checking for causal domain sheer
I'm sure this is a bit of a long shot, but I recently acquired a Leica 2-axis microscope stage that features two very fancy barrel connectors for motor control and feedback. These connectors also happen to be glued into the plate they're attached to, so removing them, while possible, is a bit of a pain. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with stages like, or circular connectors in general, and can help me identify them.

[update] For anyone who goes down this same path after me, this connector did turn out to be a standard M16 12 position DIN connector.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 08:01:30 pm by amaschas »

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: Identifying the circularconnector in a Leica 2-axis microscope stage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 06:17:44 am »
I don't have a connector ID, but if you need a stage manufacturer, those connectors are pretty common on somewhat older Marzhauser/Wetzlar stages.  Wouldn't be surprised if there was an adapter connector for Zeiss/Leica/Nikon/Olympus microscopes/stage controllers or a pinout floating around since they aren't super rare.

The following users thanked this post: amaschas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2024, 08:48:33 pm »
I don't have a connector ID, but if you need a stage manufacturer, those connectors are pretty common on somewhat older Marzhauser/Wetzlar stages.  Wouldn't be surprised if there was an adapter connector for Zeiss/Leica/Nikon/Olympus microscopes/stage controllers or a pinout floating around since they aren't super rare.

Much appreciated, definitely seeing some matching connectors on those stages and some possible documentation! First decent lead I've had on information about them!

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2024, 07:50:11 am »
Don't know the connector model, but since the pins are easy accessible, I would improvise with DuPont-like female connectors (for single wire).  Fit them one by one, then fix the group of Du Pont wires all together, with some hot glue or other kind of repair putty, to form a removable plug/female connector for all the wires at once.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 07:53:40 am by RoGeorge »

Offline Poroit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2024, 08:23:04 am »
Have a look at Lemo circular connectors website

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2024, 07:49:11 pm »
Have a look at Lemo circular connectors website
It looks nothing at all like a Lemo connector.  :palm:

That is clearly a connector with a threaded locking mechanism, while Lemo’s specialty is push-pull connectors.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2024, 08:05:25 pm »
I'm sure this is a bit of a long shot, but I recently acquired a Leica 2-axis microscope stage that features two very fancy barrel connectors for motor control and feedback. These connectors also happen to be glued into the plate they're attached to, so removing them, while possible, is a bit of a pain. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with stages like, or circular connectors in general, and can help me identify them.
If the diameter of the thread is around 16mm, then it’s almost guaranteed to be a simple M16 screw-lock DIN connector,  DIN standard 61076-2-106. (Those aren’t “very fancy” in the circular connector world. ;) ) Everything about it matches something like an Amphenol C 091 A or C 091 D series, like part T 3637 000, or Binder 09 0131 00 12.  (Both Binder and the Amphenol subsidiary who make those are German companies, as are a few others who possibly used to make 12-pin versions but now don’t. Since Leica is German, they are likelier to have used German parts back then.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 08:23:19 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, amaschas

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2024, 08:18:32 pm »
Don't know the connector model, but since the pins are easy accessible, I would improvise with DuPont-like female connectors (for single wire).  Fit them one by one, then fix the group of Du Pont wires all together, with some hot glue or other kind of repair putty, to form a removable plug/female connector for all the wires at once.
If I am correct that those are DIN connectors, then the pins are way too thick to mate with DuPont contacts, which are designed for 0.64mm square pins, not the 1mm diameter pins used in 12- and 14-pin DIN connectors, never mind the 1.5mm pins of 8-pin and below DIN connectors.

One could use standard (not high density) D-sub contacts, which are nominally 1.02mm. But since M16 DIN connectors are easy to buy and reasonably inexpensive, I don’t see any reason not to just buy a mating plug.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 08:22:44 pm by tooki »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2024, 09:55:54 pm »
Thanks so much Tooki, that's super helpful to know! I took some measurements and I'm pretty sure you're correct that these are standard M16 DIN connectors, so I ordered a few generic ones to see if they'll fit. It had convinced myself that these were some sort of custom connector designed for this particular line of microscope stages, and its really great that they're apparently just standard.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2024, 12:13:16 am »
As a lot of stage controllers just use standard D Sub connectors and these stages are often just a pair of steppers and end stops (probably one stepper and two end stops per connector), it's likely you could figure out the pinout, replace the connectors, and even drive them with something else without too much effort, though if you're lucky, a compatible controller/cable is cheap on the used market.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 12:16:47 am by DaJMasta »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, amaschas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2024, 06:22:06 pm »
As a lot of stage controllers just use standard D Sub connectors and these stages are often just a pair of steppers and end stops (probably one stepper and two end stops per connector), it's likely you could figure out the pinout, replace the connectors, and even drive them with something else without too much effort, though if you're lucky, a compatible controller/cable is cheap on the used market.

Yeah, I managed to track down some similar stages and the controller does in fact use a D Sub connector. I was a bit confused by the motor at first, since it looked like it might be a BLDC of some sort with an encoder tacked on the front, but just from the fact that it has 2 pairs of wires going to the motor I'm guessing it's actually a 2-phase stepper. Not really sure why it has an additional encoder mounted. Here's a photo:

2365361-0

I've found pretty much the identical motor online, though with annoyingly little information about what _kind_ of motor it is:

https://www.capitolareatechnology.com/escap-23hd-motor-11-216e-204-1-leica-pn-302-050087-003.html
https://myvisionsurplus.com/products/escap-motor-gear-23hd11-216e-204-5

I also found this, which seems to imply its actually a servo motor with an optional encoder:

https://rogerparks.com/instructional/escap-16-gear-motor-encoder

Offline timeandfrequency

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2024, 07:36:06 pm »
Hi amaschas,

[...]
Since Leica is German, they are likelier to have used German parts back then.
Nice guess.

Lumberg is a well known German manufacturer of DIN circular connectors. According to their documentation, they peak at 14 pins, so maybe one of their series matches.

You might have a look to reference '12-a  WKV 120' (circular female right angle connector, 12 pins).

By the way, HP/Agilent power heads/sensors seem to use quite similar connectors.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 07:57:05 pm by timeandfrequency »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, amaschas

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2024, 07:51:21 pm »
I think the power sensor connectors are part of this range
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276495919032

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2024, 08:00:24 pm »
Hi amaschas,

Lumberg is a well known German manufacturer of DIN circular connectors. According to their documentation, they peak at 14 pins, so maybe one of their series matches.

Perhaps have a look to reference '12-a  WKV 120' (female right angle connector, 12 pins).
Hah, I had even looked at Lumberg, but accidentally was in the wrong subcategory and thus didn’t find the 12-pin variants!

Lumberg and Hirschmann were actually the “few other” companies I was thinking of when I said:
Both Binder and the Amphenol subsidiary who make those are German companies, as are a few others who possibly used to make 12-pin versions but now don’t.)

Hirschmann got broken up and parts got sold to SKS, others to Belden, and while Belden is where their DIN connectors seem to have ended up, it seems to me that that part of the Belden website is not working right now, and/or they’ve wiped those out of their catalog. (I can easily find datasheets on the mouser and Farnell websites for Belden-Hirschmann DIN connectors, but not on Belden.com, even doing a google site search.) Maybe they discontinued the Hirschmann DIN connectors since Lumberg is now also a Belden brand…

::sigh:

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2024, 08:01:07 pm »
I think the power sensor connectors are part of this range
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276495919032
Yeah, I figured that out two days ago. ;)

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2024, 09:54:21 pm »
Encoders are often available on stages for some extra charge, makes it more repeatable in automation situations (imaging the whole slide or auto slide changers), so I guess you've got a fancier one.  I sort of doubt the servo loop would be in the stage itself, probably controlled by a microcontroller in the controller box, but I can't say for certain.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf