Author Topic: I would like to build a Mars Rover for Mars... please help.......  (Read 18924 times)

Offline Hideki

• Frequent Contributor
Re: I would like to build a Mars Rover for Mars... please help.......
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 06:48:24 pm »
That's a great suggestion. Since it can (theoretically) put a man on mars in 70 days, maybe you can do it even faster when it's only a rover.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/176203/20160903/emdrive-engine-can-theoretically-bring-us-to-mars-in-70-days-whats-next-after-peer-review.htm

Offline JimRemington

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 07:09:18 pm »
Rockets are pretty much out, because they are big, expensive and tend to blow up.

I would go with an antigravity drive, which usually involves some weird arrangement of spinning magnets (check Youtube for details). An added benefit is that the spinning magnet drive can run an Over Unity generator (Youtube again), to power lights, the TI Launchpad computer, microSD card data storage, camera and motors on the rover.

I agree with the others about Kickstarter or Indiegogo; they are an outstanding source of basically free money, as long as you post catchy wording and pictures of good looking young men and women posing around your rover.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:11:20 pm by JimRemington »

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 07:40:11 pm »
Before you do anything, first start a crowd funding campaign on IGG. At least ask for several million dollars. Having a large sum of money helps the creative process.

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 07:44:20 pm »
There's a lot of paperwork involved in getting your rocket launch site and/or spaceport legal. I suggest starting on that now.

Offline ohdsp

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 10:44:37 pm »
If you want a vaguely serious reply to this thread it is very very very complex.

Examples:
Radiation issues can cause all sorts of memory errors and failures and assuming you want the rover to last more than a few seconds need serious consideration. Professional projects will conduct reports on this issue alone considering the maximum amount of radiation specified for each component and the levels of radiation you will receive during flight and on the surface landing location. You will not get these specifications on any sort of commercial parts; all parts will need to be aerospace grade parts. A mobile phone may last a few minutes when flown to orbit around earth, but Mars is completely different.

Extreme temperature cycling on the surface (say -200C to +20C) will be your biggest problem. The temperature cycling alone is enough to cause the material expansion rates of the PCB and ICs to be different enough the ICs will literally crack all their solder joints and stop working (and fall off if not glued?). Unless you are using some advanced PCB materials (Teflon?) and ceramic package ICs where the IC would stick to the pcb and solder via long bent legs to allow for this expansion change you have little chance of any electronics working at all. Also remember that any type of normal glues you use will probably fail when on Mars.

Whilst I am no expert at all, I can tell you that the actual circuit design is simple, very simple in fact. Parts used are typically 20 to 30+ year old components which if you bought as commercial parts would cost you a few pence each these days. Memories/FPGA/ICs etc are all low density parts and "generic" logic chips. Using these on Mars would just never work, and so you have to pay a lot for the aerospace qualified and packaged parts if you want any hope in hell of it ever working!

Actually making it last more then a few minutes on the Martian surface is years worth of work and testing in chambers than can simulate the surface temperatures of mars on earth before flight.

Plastics don't work on Mars either....

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:47:28 pm by ohdsp »
Check out the Open Hardware DSP Platform:
http://www.ohdsp.org
http://github.com/ohdsp

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 12:11:04 am »
Plastics don't work on Mars either....

Wow, what a major blow for the project ! As I understood it, Smokey already bought and paid his All-Terrain Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler and this will leave a major hole in the budget. I fully expect a six paragraphs letter of explanation to supporters any day now, including a word from his legal counsel threatening action against the local toy shop misleading advertisement. We'll see. :-[

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 04:14:37 am »
Sorry my reply is a little late. For propulsion use baking soda in vinegar.

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 04:22:17 am »

....Whilst I am no expert at all...

....Plastics don't work on Mars either....

Please don't comment here unless you are an expert.  I don't have time to validate every crazy thing everyone says.   I have a Mars rover to build here!  Respect my project!  Please Help!
The PowPowPowerWheels Jeep is a serious off road machine.  I've seen in climb some pretty steep hills.  It will be fine!

Offline kushagrad28

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 08:02:15 am »
I think you will need some Plutonium-238 or you can use AAA batteries.

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 08:17:41 am »
There's a lot of paperwork involved in getting your rocket launch site and/or spaceport legal. I suggest starting on that now.

I (seriously) saw a guy on reddit, and a regular in r/space, claim he was part of a team building a rocket to reach 100km (Which has been done by amateurs before, so it's possible) and rather than deal with getting FAA clearance to launch they were just going to do it anonymously and hope no one found out.

That seems like a perfectly reasonable plan, so you shouldn't need to worry about legality.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:20 am »
Just launch in Mexico, no need for any clearance then, providing you are more than 100km from the US border.  Just keep $1000 in small unmarked bills handy for "cooldrink" if anybody asks.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 11:20:37 am »

:wtf:

DON'T DO IT EARTHLINGS!

I don't need any more of your Earth rubbish up here thanks!

You have already lobbed a number of pieces of junk my way - and I have to avoid those stupid Rovers so you guys don't realise I'm here.  NO MORE!

And no pesky wabbits either!

Don't forget I have the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator (now working perfectly!) and I'm not afraid to use it:box:

MarvinTheMartian

:rant:  :rant:  :rant:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:27:16 am by MarvinTheMartian »
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 11:40:37 am »

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 12:48:32 pm »
Make sure all your system components are prefixed by a lower case "i"
e.g.
iRocket
iRover
iMovie Camera
iAlien Zapper

And mix in the word Blue here and there:
Blue Loud Thing
Blue Expensive Stuff
Blue Energy Drive

and make sure the rover has it's own social media page.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 10:08:38 pm »
Make sure all your system components are prefixed by a lower case "i"
e.g.
iRocket
iRover
iMovie Camera
iAlien Zapper

And mix in the word Blue here and there:
Blue Loud Thing
Blue Expensive Stuff
Blue Energy Drive

and make sure the rover has it's own social media page.

:-DD ..  I just don't know what to think, clearly you are trying to be helpful in some way.  I just can't imagine what it is?   :--

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 11:13:05 pm »
I think I got it. He means reliability is important and as such, your code should be very clear. You should use this very common scheme where variable names are very expressive, like this :
Code: [Select]
int rover_RearLeftWheelStatus_IsTurningWhenTrue_typeBinaryBoolean = 0;This reduces risks of errors caused by radiations in space because if in doubt, the code can read the variable name and deduce proper purpose and procedure. That's why Apollo code was printed on A3 instead of A4, very long variable names were too large for A4.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:58 pm »
I think I got it. He means reliability is important and as such, your code should be very clear. You should use this very common scheme where variable names are very expressive, like this :
int rover_RearLeftWheelStatus_IsTurningWhenTrue_typeBinaryBoolean = 0;This reduces risks of errors caused by radiations in space because if in doubt, the code can read the variable name and deduce proper purpose and procedure. That's why Apollo code was printed on A3 instead of A4, very long variable names were too large for A4.

Thank you Koen.  This is super helpful.  Now please post the rest of the code for the project so I can test it.

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 12:32:07 am »
I see from the flag you are from Liberia, our local branch will contact you soon with an offer.

Offline Electro707

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 12:55:07 am »
I think he meant Texas Instruments, the semiconductor company.

Online igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 01:34:36 am »
Hey Smokey, I see that you are serious about your project, so here are a couple of practical pro tips about programming your Arduino for Mars.

1) As you probably already know from your research, the gravity on Mars is smaller than on earth. This means the rover will do a lot of bouncing around, and that's bad; you're going to have to debounce it. Now, normal debouncing on earth-bound Arduinos is done by adding a short delay (10 milliseconds) after reading the input from a switch. But that's just for one little switch, while you have a whole rover to debounce. So your delay should be much longer, say 1000 milliseconds. Be sure to put it after each and every command. Here's the proper way to do it:

#define DEFINE_ONE_THOUSAND unsigned int oneThousand = 1000

DEFINE_ONE_THOUSAND;

void setup() {

// Safety check for space radiation induced errors!
  if (oneThousand != 1000) {
    oneThousand = 1000;
  }

}

void loop() {

// first command
  // ...
  delay(oneThousand);

// second command
  // ...
  delay(oneThousand);

}

2) In certain Arduino libraries, you'll find variables declared as volatile. This is dangerous: Mars' atmosphere is a lot thinner than ours, and anything volatile will therefore evaporate there much faster. Be sure to remove any "volatile" declaration from the code before you compile it!

I think he meant Texas Instruments, the semiconductor company.

Yes, on that note I'll repeat my recommendation of Texas Instruments' Launchpads. These boards are red, which is less offensive to Martians than the blue Arduino.
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker, PointyOintment

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 02:04:43 am »
Don't use the MKS system of measurement.  The only country to put a man on the moon used the English system.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline dimkasta

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 02:06:43 am »
Also, make sure that you watch "The martian". Much good science in there too.

Especially at the end, it has brilliant ideas on cutting the costs on the rocket. All you need practically is a chair strapped on the top of a rocket and a tent to keep your eyes from watering from the draft. No fancy stuff. Actually forget the chair/tent too. This is an unmanned mission. Although it would be cool to try the ironman flying thing. Could this work to help you escape the earth's gravity too?

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Super Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 11:44:05 am »
Yeah, thats all nice and stuff but where are you going to get the 1.21 GW you'll need...?
Well!?
Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline PCChazter

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 08:03:51 pm »
You are looking for advice from experts, but it sounds like on the subject of Mars travel, you may be far superior in intellect. Nevertheless, I have a suggestion that will solve your travel and time restraints. What you need is one of these:

Did some research, you may be able to reverse engineer this one to be able to build a higher power one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Future-Capacitor-USB-Car-Charger/dp/B00O2KYGQI

You also need a DeLorean, which you will have to source out locally.

Once you have both of these components, there is a documentary on combining the two to create a time machine, it is called back to the future. Once you have your time machine, you can then use it to go to the future to create a flying machine. Although it almost looks like he just used four of these:

Walmart has these available in three colors depending on your style.

Once you have your time machine, you can also time travel to your deadline, and launch on schedule!

I hope this helps, I hope to see your launch on the TV soon!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 09:12:07 pm »
......You are looking for advice from experts, but it sounds like on the subject of Mars travel, you may be far superior in intellect. .......

I try... but I'm sure I'm just like every other guy actually trying to build a Mars rover who is just starting out and LOVES electronics.!!...

...Once you have your time machine, you can also time travel to your deadline, and launch on schedule!....

Come on now.  you are just trying to side track me.  Time machines are WAY out of the scope of this project.  That is so unrealistic to expect me to build a time machine.  I need to focus on my Mars Rover space travel logistics here!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf