Author Topic: I am geting a masive project on my lap!  (Read 10089 times)

Offline TrananTopic starter

• Contributor
  • A Emerging power engineer.
I am geting a masive project on my lap!
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:58:05 pm »
In 2 weeks I am starting my graduation work as a power engineer.
The task at hand is mapping the electric system in a government building. Thats from the 22kv/400v transformer to the outlet.

Have any of you guys been involved in a similar project?

I am a bit worried cos what they said "The system is under dimension and mostly undocumented and we want you to go thur it and document and suggest changes."

Help! I only got one project under my belt. And that was only a economic calculation on solar panels.

/Thomas

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
Re: I am geting a masive project on my lap!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 09:20:24 pm »

>I am a bit worried cos what they said "The system is under dimension and mostly undocumented and we want you to go thur it and document and suggest changes."

How is is under dimension ? ie is the cables to small for the fuses / they did expect that all outlet's can be loaded 100%

[/size]
[/size]

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 09:24:25 pm »
Does "under dimension" mean "underspecced"? as in insufficient capacity for the usage requirement?
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:26:34 pm »
An electricians nightmare :-) Are you asking about the best tools to use or about project self-management?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:31:23 pm »
The only thing I know so far is that they don´t know a lot of the wiring and they want it documented. The building is like a hangar with a overhead crane and a guard both. And the contractor used a subcontractor that did not follow the standard on documentation and and it pollutes the grid when the crane is operating and if it has any load It blows the beakers.

And I have no idea how to crack this one. Well I guess I get a better idea wen i get access.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:39:09 pm »
"under dimension" mean "underspecced" yes!

And I want help with tools and project self-management.

thanks.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:45:28 pm »
Well, the first thing would be to define the exact goals:
- documentation of the complete wiring
- analysis of utilisation (hint: any undersizing)?
- fix for the crane problem?

For the documentation you'll need a blueprint of the building and map the wiring. CAD software for architects should do the job.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:58:41 pm by madires »

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »
Thanks! I am getting a bit panicking!

Offline Frenchie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 01:12:30 am »
General engineering advice I wish I was given when I was a grad:

Don't panic, It gets easier.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 01:35:01 am »
Indeed. Worrying is like chewing bubble gum to solve an algebra equation.

@Tranan: what did you learn in school about taking on a project? Do you have any books or other reading material on that? Most people fresh out of school tend to forget what they learned and take on projects in a totally unorganised way. Don't make that error  8)

These sort of projects are like reverse engineering and they usually consist of the following steps:
- locate and identify all components in a system and put them on a map (if there are many components group them together by room or a location)
- find out what the function/specification is of each component
- find out how the components are connected (maybe create a top-level and split that into rooms/locations)

The key is to work systematically and stay calm. Take breaks to clear your mind.

I'm sure that in the end you will get a diagram which is surprisingly simple and the source of the problems will be easy to spot.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:36:33 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 01:39:25 am »
Any time, cost, manpower constraints?
These can help you panic if the size/scope of the project isn't enough.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:27:14 am »
It sounds like you're going to need to disconnect cables just to see what loses power and where the cable goes.

I'm not a power engineer, so don't take what i say as 100% correct. However here's how i would approach the problem...

First go around and make a map on paper (in only one pen color) of how you think the building is wired based on what you can see. 
Then you can write a testing plan to confirm your assumptions by disconnecting and testing things.
All your findings from testing get written in a different pen color! this way you wont get confused by what you "think" vs what you've "proved/tested"

Making up a test plan also gives you a list of things to check without needing to think about it too much onsite where there's lots of distractions.
It also makes it easier to run through testing things quickly which maybe important if you have limited time where you can cut power to things.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:30:53 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 04:13:51 am »
The only thing I know so far is that they don´t know a lot of the wiring and they want it documented. The building is like a hangar with a overhead crane and a guard both. And the contractor used a subcontractor that did not follow the standard on documentation and and it pollutes the grid when the crane is operating and if it has any load It blows the beakers.

And I have no idea how to crack this one. Well I guess I get a better idea wen i get access.

The first thing check that the crane has it own breaker. 2. Check size on breaker vs current written on type plate on crane.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 05:24:22 am »
Don't ignore the people operating the systems, take notes, have them explain how things work (or are supposed to work). Tell them they are the expert operators and you need their help. Find out where the real problem areas are and give them appropriate priority. Do this yourself if possible, it will aid you in determining the overall scope of the mission.

Good luck

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 05:46:22 am »
You will go home,covered with dust,with a blinding headache,& more tired than you have ever been in your life. ;D

You will get it done,however,& when memories of the agony subside,the satisfaction of a job well done will remain,as well as the knowledge you gained by contronting problems & overcoming them.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 06:43:52 am »
Any time, cost, manpower constraints?
These can help you panic if the size/scope of the project isn't enough.

Manpower = Me
Cost restraints = if they had a budget they might had a consultant but I guess its what I can borrow on site.
Size = A large building. with a overhead crane and a Gard both. So I guess A lot of light fixtures and electrical outlet every 5m or so and a 3phase every 15m. and don´t forget ventilation/heating.  Building 45X30X12m
Time = 5 weeks.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 06:59:17 am »
Indeed. Worrying is like chewing bubble gum to solve an algebra equation.

@Tranan: what did you learn in school about taking on a project? Do you have any books or other reading material on that? Most people fresh out of school tend to forget what they learned and take on projects in a totally unorganised way. Don't make that error  8)

These sort of projects are like reverse engineering and they usually consist of the following steps:
- locate and identify all components in a system and put them on a map (if there are many components group them together by room or a location)
- find out what the function/specification is of each component
- find out how the components are connected (maybe create a top-level and split that into rooms/locations)

The key is to work systematically and stay calm. Take breaks to clear your mind.

I'm sure that in the end you will get a diagram which is surprisingly simple and the source of the problems will be easy to spot.

Thanks. our project management was nonexistent.
So during breakfast I dream up this.
1. take notes from staff
2. draw a plan over the building with all outlets an boxes and what not
3. See what is connected to what and how
4. calculate if it up to scratch
5. measure the crane influence on the net
6. calculate concretion fore crane
7. collect the data and compare to the standard
8. Do the report
9. make out the list of needed corrections
10. Do the presentation to the boss and collect grad papers.   

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 01:53:44 pm »
Thanks. our project management was nonexistent.

A project management lecture should be obligatory.

1. take notes from staff

Just to get an idea about the problems.

2. draw a plan over the building with all outlets an boxes and what not

Also include the wire types (cable type, number of wires in a cable, cross section), socket types, breakers, switches, contacters and so on. Use the standardized drawing symbols. Electricians and architects got planning/CAD software for that. If you're lucky sockets and breakers are labeled. If not, ask if you should also label them (bonus points :-). Make sure that you get the wire lengths approximately (you should know why :-) and note loads (lights, large machines, estimate sums for small stuff) for the analysis.

8. Do the report

That might be the hardest part (also by time).

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 02:12:04 pm »
The crane problem is most likely due to muck on the power pick up rails, I have seen that build up to the point that the crane ceases to work but until it does you get a lot of arcing.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 02:19:43 pm »
Manpower = Me
Cost restraints = if they had a budget they might had a consultant but I guess its what I can borrow on site.
Size = A large building. with a overhead crane and a Gard both. So I guess A lot of light fixtures and electrical outlet every 5m or so and a 3phase every 15m. and don´t forget ventilation/heating.  Building 45X30X12m
Time = 5 weeks.
Its actually strange that you asked if anybody had done a similar project. I just remembered that I have done one. But not as in depth as yours.
It did maximum demand calcs for a building very approximately 40 x 25 x 8. IIRC it was about 300A maximum demand. We had a main switchboard, and 3 large sub boards, and the Air conditioning had its own sub board too.
I didn't have to plot all the paths of the wiring but I had to check every subcircuit for correct cable sizing , breaker sizing and fault current breaker sizing.
Then made up a large spread sheet to calc maximum demand for the mains and sub mains. These calcs had to follow Australian wiring rules which are based on some sort of statistical analysis that was the hardest bit.

If i can add anything to the previous advice, yes get very organised, including getting a bit of a time line/gant chart going just for practice. I just use excel but i am sure others do things differently.
Write down all your tasks, initial time estimate, current time estimate  to complete, time taken, etc.
Any task that you are really unsure of, have a crack at them early, as you cant have a good estimate until you understand the particular task.

Do spend a bit of time thinking about the tools you will need to complete your job.

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 05:01:14 pm »
The crane problem is most likely due to muck on the power pick up rails, I have seen that build up to the point that the crane ceases to work but until it does you get a lot of arcing.

This is a spanking new building! max 6 months. so hopeful it is some what clean!

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 05:20:28 pm »
I am geting a masive project on my lap!

Prostitutes are great

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »
I suggest you find something like this that suits your power outlets, voltages, etc.  I don't think it matters if you buy, beg, borrow or steal it.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 05:41:17 pm »
I suggest you find something like this that suits your power outlets, voltages, etc.  I don't think it matters if you buy, beg, borrow or steal it.

Thats a good idea!

Tanks!

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 05:44:21 pm »

This is a spanking new building! max 6 months. so hopeful it is some what clean!

Then the crane problem is not yours it's the suppliers of the crane, one less job for you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf