Author Topic: How to design the pulse generator correctly...  (Read 176 times)

Offline FolniaTopic starter

How to design the pulse generator correctly...
« on: Yesterday at 02:16:09 pm »
Hi,
I'm working on a pulse generator with 2N3904.
I've gone through the AN-47 and I made one almost same as 
[url]http://www.kerrywong.com/2013/05/18/avalanche-pulse-generator-build-using-2n3904/[url]
with only power supply changed.
The BJT is 2N3904TFR manufactured by ONSEMI. I found 120V cannot work so I changed the voltage to around 134V then the pulse generated.

Attached are the scheme and captured output.
My questions:
1) Is there any way to know calculate/simulate the minimal voltage to generated the pulse based on the spec of the BJT?
2) How to calculate the theoretical pulse amplitude ?  Can I use the E =  1/2 CV^2 and give an estimation of the power consumed on the 50ohm resistor?
3) From the captured waveform I can see some oscillation. I used a 50ohm coaxial connected to the scope BNC directly and the BNC input resistant is 1Mohm, so there might be a negative reflection. But why there's also oscillation before the pulse?
4) If the pulse amplitude is too large, is there a clever way to do an attenuation to match the 50ohm 5Vmax scope BNC connector?

Thanks in advance!

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: How to design the pulse generator correctly...
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:59:07 pm »
Simulate -- no, this mode of operation is rarely if ever modeled.  (Possibly the Diodes avalanche parts have models, I forget.)

Breakdown is always between Vces and Vcbo(br).  This can be quite a bit higher than the datasheet minimums (a mere 40V!) but you don't really know how much more until actual testing.

Adjusting the base resistor is a good way to find the sweet spot, both in terms of what Vce and Ic is needed for trigger, and over what range stable triggering will occur.  I found 4.7k, and 100-120V supply, effective for the Fairchild 2N3904s I have on hand, but YMMV.

Yes, a simple resistor attenuator affords any lower output amplitude.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: Folnia

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: How to design the pulse generator correctly...
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:12:43 pm »
Attached are the scheme and captured output.
My questions:
1) Is there any way to know calculate/simulate the minimal voltage to generated the pulse based on the spec of the BJT?
2) How to calculate the theoretical pulse amplitude ?  Can I use the E =  1/2 CV^2 and give an estimation of the power consumed on the 50ohm resistor?
3) From the captured waveform I can see some oscillation. I used a 50ohm coaxial connected to the scope BNC directly and the BNC input resistant is 1Mohm, so there might be a negative reflection. But why there's also oscillation before the pulse?
4) If the pulse amplitude is too large, is there a clever way to do an attenuation to match the 50ohm 5Vmax scope BNC connector?

1) not that I know of, because avalanche operation is outside the specification and outside the standard Ebers-Moll model. There are a few (?Zetex?) transistors which do have avalanche specifications.

2) No.

3) This might be a measurement artefact, either due to lead lengths (1mm of wire is 1nH of inductance), or the interpolation functions inside your scope (use an analogue scope or RTFM :) ).

4) The pulse amplitude is poorly defined. A very narrow 1kV pulse could be "integrated" by a scope's bandwidth so that it appears the same as a 10V wider pulse. In addition, while "matching" and "attenuation" can  go together, they are different.

If a 250ps-300ps 2.5V step into 50ohms would suit your purposes, a 74LVC1G* generator would give more predictable results. FFI see the "show us your square wave thread".
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:19:11 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Folnia

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf