Author Topic: Hijacking simple intercom system buzzer  (Read 138 times)

Offline pini.grigioTopic starter

• Contributor
Hijacking simple intercom system buzzer
« on: Today at 08:34:26 am »
Hi,
I have this somewhat old intercom system in my apartment - simple handset with a buzzer and two auxiliary buttons - one opens the main entrance and one is currently out of use.

For the purpose of training my dog I'd like to commandeer the buzzer, so I can activate it without having someone downstairs ringing my apartment.

I opened up the handset and I couldn't really make any sense of the wiring:
2338959-0
I measured 17V on some of these lines (referenced to what I speculated was ground).

Im not at all familiar with how these buzzers work - I'm assuming it's much like a relay.
My plan was to probe the two terminals on the buzzer and see what signal is coming in when its activated, and then simply apply that signal myself.
However I'm a bit hesitant as I wouldn't want to damage the intercom controller downstairs.
Has anyone done anything like this and can offer advice?

Thanks!

Offline SuzyC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hijacking simple intercom system buzzer
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:30:20 pm »
Rather than trying to spend untold hours to figure this wiring puzzle out, why not record the sound of the buzzer on your smartphone and manually playback the recorded buzzer sound for your dog to hear.

« Last Edit: Today at 03:32:25 pm by SuzyC »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:37:40 pm »
However I'm a bit hesitant as I wouldn't want to damage the intercom controller downstairs.
Has anyone done anything like this and can offer advice?

That's the problem, there's no way to guarantee not damaging the intercom controller. Looking at the photo, the buzzer looks like an AC driven one, so it isn't just a matter of putting the other button in parallel with anything.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:16:49 pm »
It's a simple AC electromagnetic buzzer (typically 8-12 V). Usually one leg of the buzzer is connected to a common ground, and the other leg is switched by the doorbell button at the door directly to a transformer's secondary output tap (the other tap is connected to the common ground). That first tap isn't wired to the intercom telephone (just to the door station). So you can't power the buzzer via the intercom system from within the telephone.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf