Author Topic: "High" current @56VDC relay.  (Read 1058 times)

Offline forrestcTopic starter

• Supporter
"High" current @56VDC relay.
« on: July 02, 2019, 06:13:51 am »
I have a design which currently uses a TX2-3V relay.   Has been a solid performer, but I do occasionally get feedback from customers that they'd like a bit more switching capacity at 48V/56V.  The TX2-3V switches around 1A at this voltage.

I've dug through all of the distributors I normally used and the only PCB mount relay I've found that is better in a meaningful way at this voltage is a G5LE, however it is mechanically too tall - I only have around 0.65" at the absolute maximum.   

For this application, a relay contact is the correct solution, a solid state relay has some shortcomings (including the complexity of doing a normally closed contact).

I'm hoping someone on here has come across a reasonably small relay which will switch around 2A or more (is better) at 56VDC.     And by reasonable sized, I mean something PCB mount and not over 0.65" tall.  Of course inexpensive is a plus since we consume around 1000 of these a year.

And yes, I realize I'm asking for a unicorn....

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: "High" current @56VDC relay.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 08:43:06 am »
According to the data sheet, it's DPDT and rated to 2A, as 30V. If you're not using both of the contacts, simply connect them in series and it should be fine at 2A, up to 60V. It's breaking the arc, which is challenging for DC and two contacts in series, will do a better job than one.
https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/315/mech_eng_tx-1075670.pdf

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 01:32:27 am »
If you're not using both of the contacts, simply connect them in series and it should be fine at 2A, up to 60V.
Its not always that simple, relays with manufacturer ratings for series operation such as the Schrack RT2 for instance. Its possible to go the other way too and use a lower current relay with both contacts in parallel. Really needs testing on the specific load application.

Offline forrestcTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 07:23:39 am »
If you're not using both of the contacts, simply connect them in series and it should be fine at 2A, up to 60V.
Its not always that simple, relays with manufacturer ratings for series operation such as the Schrack RT2 for instance. Its possible to go the other way too and use a lower current relay with both contacts in parallel. Really needs testing on the specific load application.

Plus, in this application I need to expose both the normally open and normally closed contacts.   Which is challenging.   I've wondered about doing some odd wiring where you take the common of one pole and wire it to both "throws" of the second pole.    That way the 'common' of the first pole is interrupted briefly by the switching of the second pole between the two poles, hopefully gaining you series wiring.

I've actually looked at the schrack RT2, but wasn't sure about the series wiring with needing both NO and NC contacts.   I tonight noticed they have a latching version available which may actually negate the need for both contacts, but it's pretty pricey.

The Schrack RT2 is one of the few relays I've found which actually states the series wiring rating.   At the voltage we're talking about, it's 2A for a single, but 8A for both in series.  I wish that more relays were rated this way as I might find one that would work for this.   Unfortunately, I'm not particularly willing to pass on a rating which I haven't had verified by a vendor, and we're small enough that asking a vendor to specify something else in their datasheet isn't likely to be result in any useful outcome.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 07:31:08 am »

Plus, in this application I need to expose both the normally open and normally closed contacts.   Which is challenging.   I've wondered about doing some odd wiring where you take the common of one pole and wire it to both "throws" of the second pole.    That way the 'common' of the first pole is interrupted briefly by the switching of the second pole between the two poles, hopefully gaining you series wiring.

I've actually looked at the schrack RT2, but wasn't sure about the series wiring with needing both NO and NC contacts.   I tonight noticed they have a latching version available which may actually negate the need for both contacts, but it's pretty pricey.
Another possibility to look at is a hybrid relay + SSR or roll your own on the board. Or some other similarly sturdy active arc suppression.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:32:51 am by Someone »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 08:54:10 am »
Parallel operation to increase the current rating is generally discouraged.

Series operation is generally acceptable, even if it isn't explicitly stated in the data sheet, see the document linked below:

https://www.finder-relais.net/en/Finder-general-technical-information-en.pdf
Double  break  contact:
A  contact  comprising  two  points  of  contact  in series with each other. Particularly effective for switching DC loads. The same  effect  can  be  achieved  by  wiring  two  single  contacts  in series.
Resistive loads or slightly inductive DC loads. (The switching voltage at the same current can be doubled by wiring 2 contacts in series).

That sounds sensible and will work, as long as it's break before make, which it will be, unless stated otherwise on the data sheet.

The Schrack RT2 is one of the few relays I've found which actually states the series wiring rating.   At the voltage we're talking about, it's 2A for a single, but 8A for both in series.  I wish that more relays were rated this way as I might find one that would work for this.   Unfortunately, I'm not particularly willing to pass on a rating which I haven't had verified by a vendor, and we're small enough that asking a vendor to specify something else in their datasheet isn't likely to be result in any useful outcome.
Unfortunately it's not possible for the manufacturer to specify everything and often isn't necessary either, especially for things which are generally accepted to work, such as connecting two contacts in series to achieve higher current breaking capacities. If your anxious about it, use a relay made by finder, who explicitly state the DC current rating can be increased, by connecting contacts in series.

This can be de-risked even further by conducting some experiments on the bench.

EDIT:
Some more information from ABB
https://library.e.abb.com/public/2ec461ba2df91433c12578570041d719/UG03-0203E_en_Auxiliary_relays_Self-reset_and_latching.pdf

Another article:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0ba8/59cc5c27befe658e693fa8cd948347fee325.pdf
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:28:20 pm by Zero999 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf