Author Topic: Help me assess a Fiver watch PCB design  (Read 133 times)

ebastler, ppyxmw, globoy, BU508A, bd139, Ian.M, ch_scr and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ppyxmwTopic starter

Help me assess a Fiver watch PCB design
« on: Today at 12:29:13 pm »
Hello guys,

I have paid and electronics engineer to help me design a watch idea I have. They have sent me a file as the first stage of the deliverable. But I am not sure how to assess it. Here is the summary of what the final product would do:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cYKVrKaTiYlv27EA4FMYHDopdRYeN1DNI3vMHOJrvIE/edit?usp=sharing

Here is what the first deliverable agreed is meant to be (just step one):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10Q8vI-XPzFkW_RG7NqzGzUjrG3ljgJoVN4SitWx5UKQ/edit?usp=sharing

I have attached what the person who is doing the project has sent me as sent me as the deliverable for step one, and I would like to know what exactly this is and what it proves or has solved. Any help would be much appreciated. He says "Use altium designer to open it". He also sent me the image of the file on a computer, and said it is proof!!!?

Thank you,

Michael

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Help me assess a Fiver watch PCB design
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:58:44 pm »
DM if you are interested in a review. My rates are £950/day.

Online robert.rozee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:07:47 pm »
hi Michael,
    i'm not sure if this is a 'smart watch' of some kind, or just a tally counter. nonetheless, the dollar amounts for each of the stages and the time allowed seems to be a fraction of what i would expect to see for a commercial product development.

might i suggest that you initially have someone develop the device just as an application that runs on a tablet or smart phone. given that the user-input is via just 3 buttons, this is something that would come closer to your budgetary constraints while demonstrating much of the functionality - that is counters that are incremented by the user, decremented by timers over days and weeks, and some limited text messages delivered on-screen. in essence, a variation of the 'tamagotchi' electronic toys that were popular some 20 years ago.

are you able to describe in more detail what you wish the finished device is to be used for? this may be helpful in suggesting the best way for you to move your project forward.

cheers,
rob   :-)
« Last Edit: Today at 01:17:42 pm by robert.rozee »

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:26:56 pm »
I'm curious - what has your engineer done except change the pcb text from this github project?

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ

Online Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:29:08 pm »
The files you received are gerbers. You can use pretty much any gerber viewer to open those, it does not need to be Altium.

As for outsourcing work to Pakistan... well... you get what you pay for.
Out to curiosity, I once tried sourcing out some menial embedded programming tasks to fiverr, just to see what comes out of it. Tried contacting no less than 5 "engineers" and getting them to understand a simple problem was already proving difficult. Ended up scrapping the whole idea and doing the task myself, in considerably less time than the interactions with those guys took.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:14:51 pm »
Michael -- your "specifications" on that project are extremely loose, and yet your contractor has managed to give you something which has nothing to do with those specs. As pointed out by nali, he has just taken an existing design and put his name on it. He probably spent 10 minutes searching and two minutes editing.

I'd suggest you cut your losses and stop any further collaboration with that Fiverr contractor. Since your own experience in the field is apparently very limited, you will need someone much more qualified, who takes a much more active role in the project. Expect to increase your budget estimates by at least two orders of magnitude too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf