Poll

Does your Hakko FR301 have any play in the plastic handle halves?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Hakko FR-301 Question  (Read 756 times)

Offline rfxcaseyTopic starter

Hakko FR-301 Question
« on: September 21, 2024, 04:43:55 pm »
HI, I purchased a Hakko FR-301 Japanese version (I'm in the US) and performed the conversion of removing the 10 Ohm resistor and replacing it with 2 300 Ohm resistors. I was at work when I did it so I was kind of in a rush (on break). Everything seems to have gone fine and the Hakko is running the motor at the correct speed now on 120 60Hz US but I have a question. The case halves don't seem to fit together perfectly, in most places I can squeeze the halves and see a little play. I've taken the thing apart 2 or 3 times now to make sure there were no wires getting in the way and I don't think there are but can't be sure. I don't want to tighten the screws any more or keep taking this thing apart as it's plastic and well, while a seemingly high quality plastic, still plastic. I didn't think to check the fit before disassembly and the gun is working fine but my OCD is getting the better of me. It may just be the halves are a little out or warped from the molding process but if anyone has one of these can you see what yours is like and post back your findings?

Offline ComradeXavier

• Contributor
Re: Hakko FR-301 Question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 09:36:32 pm »
My US spec FR-301 has never been disassembled. The shell halves are tightly fitted and have no noticeable flex.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2024, 03:10:07 am »
If you squeeze the halves together down where the power cord strain relief is as well?

Online watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2024, 12:12:28 pm »
IIRC, the wire routing up at top is very specific.  It has been several months but I do remember it took me several tries to get it sorted.

This thing has made life much more enjoyable and is well worth the cost.
Regards,

Dewey

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2024, 01:04:52 pm »
HI, I purchased a Hakko FR-301 Japanese version (I'm in the US) and performed the conversion of removing the 10 Ohm resistor and replacing it with 2 300 Ohm resistors.

I have the same unit and others stated this conversion isn't necessary, so I never performed it.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2024, 05:19:52 pm »
HI, I purchased a Hakko FR-301 Japanese version (I'm in the US) and performed the conversion of removing the 10 Ohm resistor and replacing it with 2 300 Ohm resistors.

I have the same unit and others stated this conversion isn't necessary, so I never performed it.

Understood, I was pretty sure it wouldn't diminish the life of the motor or pump but it seemed like an easy enough conversion, which, for the most part it was. I've got mine together and it's working fine, feels fine in the hand and cosmetically no one would ever notice the slight fitment problem unless they were really scrutinizing it and had an eye for detail. Good news is, Hakko, as I recently discovered, sells the blue case shells for 20 bucks a pair, so in that respect, if my OCD does get the better of me and I keep disassembling and reassembling this thing to the point of failure, it's not the end of the world. I was pleased and somewhat surprised to see just how inexpensive most of the replacement parts for these really are. It almost seems like you could build your own for cheaper than a complete unit but I haven't actually done the math.

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2024, 11:10:39 pm »
Screw threads in plastic hold up ok if you're careful to never cross thread or over tighten.

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2024, 11:58:20 pm »
I didn't expect much from this tool, so I didn't devote much time to researching the upgrade to 120V.

Upon using it, I was blown away. It not only sucks all the solder, but easy to clean.

It may be worth my time to upgrade to 120V AC so it doesn't get damaged. Not sure how important it is to replace the resistor.

Offline docsalr

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2024, 12:57:33 am »
This instrument is a beast.  Right now on HakkoUSA.com outlet is available for about $250 USD (refurbished unit and the older handpiece without quick change).  I think it is a steal at that price!  I just picked an extra one just in case.

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2024, 01:03:59 am »
Don't quote me, but swear I paid under $200 for mine; maybe off Aliexpress

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2024, 01:24:55 am »
I just looked at my old orders. I was wrong, it was off eBay for $172 and came with a case.

Offline docsalr

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2024, 01:32:12 am »
I quoted the model number wrong...it is the FR-410 which is on the outlet site for less than $250USD (refurbished).  Original price is over $1,000 USD!

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2024, 01:37:33 am »
what are the differences between the FR-410 and 301?

My 301 is amazing, can't imagine anything better.

Offline docsalr

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2024, 01:49:55 am »
FR-301 is a portable unit which has less wattage.  FR-410 is a bench unit with 140w pistol or gun style handheld unit  (190w unit). 

Offline docsalr

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2024, 01:51:11 am »
I also have the original FR-808 portable unit (discontinued) but have enough spare parts for many years to come!

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2024, 04:13:18 am »
This instrument is a beast.  Right now on HakkoUSA.com outlet is available for about $250 USD (refurbished unit and the older handpiece without quick change).  I think it is a steal at that price!  I just picked an extra one just in case.

I got mine for 170 USD total on Ebay, brand new, shipped straight from Japan. I think I might pick up a few spare parts while I can (before they are discontinued) but to be honest, at this price, it might be worth it to just pick up a spare complete unit. I use a base station version at work 5 days a week and it gets very heavy professional usage and just keeps on going with normal cleaning. The unit I have at work is around 1K so the FR-301 is a great substitute for the home shop/lab.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 04:17:55 am by rfxcasey »

Offline docsalr

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2024, 10:34:08 pm »
FR-410 which is an industrial-type desoldering station is on HakkoUSA outlet for about $245 USD!.

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2024, 12:27:08 am »
FR-410 which is an industrial-type desoldering station is on HakkoUSA outlet for about $245 USD!.

Ah yes, that's the one I use at work, just never paid attention to the model number. $250 for that is a steal but sadly out of stock it seems.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf