Author Topic: Op amp gain inverting configuration  (Read 2067 times)

Offline raff5184Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Op amp gain inverting configuration
« on: March 03, 2017, 02:27:00 am »
Hi,
I got this op amp (the small one): http://www.analog.com/en/products/amplifiers/operational-amplifiers/jfet-input-amplifiers/ad825.html?doc=AD825.pdf#product-overview

and this eval board: http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/user-guides/UG-755.pdf

These are the specs: http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD825.pdf

I created a simple inverting configuration with RF=100k \$\Omega\$ and R1= 1k \$\Omega\$

I am working at 700kHz, and suppy voltage +-15V, I am expecting an output voltage 100 times higher than the input, but I get a maximum of 30. Do you have any idea why? Is it possible to understand from the data sheet what I can expect at 700kHz?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Op amp gain inverting configuration
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 02:34:18 am »
Unity gain bandwidth is what is biting you, 26,000,000/700,000 = 37 so your numbers add up the the spec of 26MHz, for a gain of 100 you would need atleast 2 op amps amplifying at a gain of 10 in series to meet that spec with that op amp, or find an op amp with a unity bandwitch above 75MHz

The following users thanked this post: raff5184

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 03:18:30 am »
Not much more to add, when you're selecting the opamp for the application, you need to make sure that your desired gain times your signal frequency is less than or equal to the rated unity gain bandwidth.

If you've got a means of feeding a signal in (like a signal generator), start from 700kHz and start turning it down, you should see that around 260kHz (with typical rating, 230kHz minimum) you'll see the full gain on the output.  Conversely, if you swap the 100k for a 33k (actually slightly more, but it's an easy value), you should see the gain you expect on the output of your 700kHz signal.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 03:46:43 am »
As stated above, gain-bandwidth product is biting you. Here's a video describing GBW:

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 03:55:48 am »
Not much more to add, when you're selecting the opamp for the application, you need to make sure that your desired gain times your signal frequency is less than or equal to the rated unity gain bandwidth.

If you've got a means of feeding a signal in (like a signal generator), start from 700kHz and start turning it down, you should see that around 260kHz (with typical rating, 230kHz minimum) you'll see the full gain on the output.  Conversely, if you swap the 100k for a 33k (actually slightly more, but it's an easy value), you should see the gain you expect on the output of your 700kHz signal.
true. I did the swipe and I saw the gain increasing at lower frequencies

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 04:25:06 am »
Unity gain bandwidth is what is biting you, 26,000,000/700,000 = 37 so your numbers add up the the spec of 26MHz
is 37 the maximum I can reach at 700k?

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 05:19:00 am »
Basically, yes.  The individual part you have may be a bit better, you can characterize it if you want, but it's not actually guaranteed to the 26MHz figure, it's guaranteed to 23MHz, so if you were making a mass market product with this opamp, you'd need to aim for just a bit under 33 gain to be certain you'll be getting it in every product.

Of course, adding a second opamp of the same kind in the same configuration would give you another 33 gain max, or well over 1000 between the two.  A higher spec opamp can get you more performance, but it's usually a better choice to just add another stage, as it gives you almost as much gain as you could want if you were even close with one stage.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 05:25:56 am »
Perfect, thank you. Last question, I saw that around 500 mV peak-to-peak the signal starts to be distorted (the peaks are cut off because of saturation). If I want to use a 2 stage amplifier, wouldn't the final signal be distorted? Basically because the output of the first stage is too high for the second one
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:28:58 am by raff5184 »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 07:44:18 am »
This comes down to the capacitance in your circuit, you will probably find with 2 stages each with a lower gain this will be lower.

What i assume is happening is the resistor divider node has some stray capacitance that is making the output lag the input more than usual, so the differential across the op amp pins exceed the forward voltage of its protection diodes (some op amps have them strapped across the inputs) they turn on and cause your distortion

Because a gain of 10 per stage uses lower value resistors the effect of the capacitance will be less.

The following users thanked this post: raff5184

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf