Author Topic: Hack to convert from/to 110V to/from 220V main voltage. Basics guide & Examples  (Read 106622 times)

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
at first look I think you might be really lucky here. Even the sizes of the caps look similar which might indicate that this is a universal (110V/220V) power board to cut down the costs. Check the voltage rating of the main big caps, MOVs if any etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they are 99% or 100% similar. 

Offline mons2b

Hi Hedehede

Thanks for your reply! If the big main caps are identical to my dead 240v board is it likely this US board is capable of 240v? From what I read some US Panasonic boards are universal (but not disclosed on the back of the tv or manual) and some will release magic smoke.  Theres fets/movs on the underside that cannot be seen because they have been attached to metal heat plates.

Also are the below gadgets capable of being used on a permanent basis to convert power? They are a lot cheaper than one of those heavy transformers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121933438881?euid=8b38c1920cf44ad7924d8b1d1f92dae9&bu=43193206816&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Offline UkraineTrain

Hi guys,
I have a US TV in Germany (Samsung LN46B650). I'd like to make it work on 220v so I don't have to scrap it. The label on the cover says input voltage 110-120v but I see on the board inside that it says 100v-240v. I'm not sure if this applies to the whole system or just a particular component. Any suggestions on what to do? :-//

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Trace the input circuitry and look at the voltage ratings of the components there.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
You can use a true-sine inverter fed by a hot swap server power supply which can be had for next to nothing, then you can get power in the correct frequency even. I use such a setup to get 240V 50Hz in the US when I was playing more with HID and fluorescent lamps and wanted to properly power the European stuff here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf