Author Topic: A resource for product safety design rules/guidelines?  (Read 637 times)

Offline EsquaredTopic starter

• Contributor
A resource for product safety design rules/guidelines?
« on: August 21, 2020, 07:48:44 am »
As a young player in the game (4th year EE student)  I was wondering where you would, if there is any, documentation on how products should be constructed? It is easy to point out a knockoff usb charger as unsafe, but it is more difficult to say what is actually sound design. I've picked up on little things from watching Dave over the years teardown products where something was soldered but it should have been a crimped terminal etc. This being way outside the scope of a uni course I want to find a way to intuitively understand, what is safe? I would like to think that there is more to it than just friendly advice. If I'm asking the right question, but the answer is there isn't a source for this then I'm all ears for things to watch out for.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: A resource for product safety design rules/guidelines?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 08:49:09 am »
Search "IEC 60950" as a good starting point.

The following users thanked this post: Esquared

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 02:09:27 pm »
FYI, the successor to IEC60950 is IEC62368. There’s probably more information on the internet about IEC60950 though.

I’ve found some of the IPC standards to be helpful.  IPC9592B, which is “Requirements for Power Conversion Devices for the Computer and Telecommunications Industries”, is quite specific to my industry, but a lot of great gems about proper usage of components, deratings, etc. Actually quite practical.

The following users thanked this post: Esquared

Offline EsquaredTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 06:26:02 pm »
Okay thank you! Will give those all a look

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf