Author Topic: FTDI USB-RS485 Plus 2: Unable to set to 10MBaud from Window  (Read 1700 times)

Offline riscy00Topic starter

• Contributor
Is there way for Window or FTDI to set to 10MBaud. I tried that and measure on scope probe and it well below 10MBAUD. Tested good for 5M, 8M but fails at 9M and 10M. The datasheet say it goes up to 10MBaud.

Open for idea. 

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
Re: FTDI USB-RS485 Plus 2: Unable to set to 10MBaud from Window
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 08:25:33 pm »
Is there way for Window or FTDI to set to 10MBaud. I tried that and measure on scope probe and it well below 10MBAUD. Tested good for 5M, 8M but fails at 9M and 10M. The datasheet say it goes up to 10MBaud.

Open for idea.

Which FTDI part ?  No data I can find says 10M (or 5M)  - on the FT2232H/FT232H the supported BAUD is 24MHz/N so you need to ask for 12Mbd

Data Sheet:
The FT233HP/FT232HP supports a data transfer rate up to 12 Mbaud when configured as an RS232/RS422/RS485 UART interface.
Please note the FT233HP/FT232HP does not support the baud rates of 7 Mbaud 9 Mbaud, 10 Mbaud and 11 Mbaud.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 08:42:46 pm »

Open for idea.

Which FTDI part ?  No data I can find says 10M (or 5M)  - on the FT2232H/FT232H the supported BAUD is 24MHz/N so you need to ask for 12Mbd

Data Sheet:
The FT233HP/FT232HP supports a data transfer rate up to 12 Mbaud when configured as an RS232/RS422/RS485 UART interface.
Please note the FT233HP/FT232HP does not support the baud rates of 7 Mbaud 9 Mbaud, 10 Mbaud and 11 Mbaud.

FYI, the board in question (USB-COM485-PLUS2, as is imprecisely stated in the thread title) uses the FT2232HQ, not the FT232HP/233HP, though the chip’s supported transfer rates are exactly the same.

Oddly, the board‘s specs list a transfer rate of 10Mbps…  :palm:

My guess is that the 10Mbps is the maximum supported by the RS-485 transceiver chips.

Anyhow, OP, see:
https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/AN_120_Aliasing_VCP_Baud_Rates.pdf
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:50:00 pm by tooki »

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 10:02:33 pm »
Anyhow, OP, see:
https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/AN_120_Aliasing_VCP_Baud_Rates.pdf

from that pdf....

The file FTDIPORT.INF contains entries that are used as the divisors for standard Baud rates. By changing
these it is possible to alias standard Baud rates with non-standard values - for instance replacing
115kBaud with 512kBaud. Users would then set up the devices to operate at 512kBaud by selecting
115kBaud for the appropriate serial port.

Editing hex values in an INF file seems like a great way to fuck with someone you don't like, and a HORRID way to do literally anything else with this capability.  I guess if you really need to get a nonstandard baud rate from an application that normally can't do that....

Given that the windows COM port API and the FTDI direct driver can both just be given an arbitrary baud rate, though, does the driver only use the divider settings from the INF file when the requested baud rate matches one of the standard ones?  So if you request a baud rate of 9599 or 9601, the driver/internal logic calculates the dividers and you get exactly those rates (or as close as the divider can get anyway), but if you request 9600 you get whatever divider settings the INF file has for that entry?

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 11:58:09 pm »
some companies added supplemental settings in / on some ftdi drivers, you could select more .... had such an adapter in the past

cant recall the model

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 04:43:22 am »

Open for idea.

Data Sheet:

FYI, the board in question (USB-COM485-PLUS2, as is imprecisely stated in the thread title) uses the FT2232HQ, not the FT232HP/233HP, though the chip’s supported transfer rates are exactly the same.

Oddly, the board‘s specs list a transfer rate of 10Mbps…  :palm:

My guess is that the 10Mbps is the maximum supported by the RS-485 transceiver chips.

Anyhow, OP, see:

Hmm, Looks like FTDI just lazily badged a Chinese product, complete with numbers that directly conflict with their own data sheet  :palm:
Why not simply use a RS485 part that can manage 12MBd ?

Has anyone managed to actually get 10MBd from a FT2232H ?  All my UART divisor tests on the FTDI parts gave 24M/N as does the device data sheet!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 02:56:43 pm »
Hmm, Looks like FTDI just lazily badged a Chinese product
Yeah, um, no.

If anyone cloned anything, it was the Chinese cloning FTDI.

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 07:50:29 pm »
Yeah, um, no.

I was talking about the pcb module/ docs, not the silicon.
The chip docs agree with my tests, this module docs do not.

We are still waiting for anyone to report an actual 10MBd  8)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 11:12:20 am »
Yeah, um, no.

I was talking about the pcb module/ docs, not the silicon.
So was I.

It’s absurd to think a chip manufacturer would copy some random Chinese design. A chip manufacturer has to design evaluation boards and stuff themselves anyway, as part of the design verification process. They don’t need to copy anyone else.

On the other hand, the Chinese vendors copy others board designs all the time.

The chip docs agree with my tests, this module docs do not.
Yeah, everyone understood that.

We are still waiting for anyone to report an actual 10MBd  8)
Yup. We get that.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 11:48:56 am »
The FTDI D2xx driver reports an error when trying to set 10Mbaud. 6,8 and 12 are the only high rates possible due to divider limitations.

From teh FT4232H datasheet :
Data Transfer Rate.
The FT4232H supports a data transfer rate up to 12 Mbit/s when configured as an
RS232/RS422/RS485 UART interface. Please note the FT4232H does not support the baud rates of 7
Mbaud 9 Mbaud, 10 Mbaud and 11 Mbaud.

I'm sure the 10M in the data comes from the transceiver used, so a bit of a typo really, though in practice it will probably work to some extent at 12M
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 11:51:32 am by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 11:59:18 am »
Anyhow, OP, see:

from that pdf....

The file FTDIPORT.INF contains entries that are used as the divisors for standard Baud rates. By changing
these it is possible to alias standard Baud rates with non-standard values - for instance replacing
115kBaud with 512kBaud. Users would then set up the devices to operate at 512kBaud by selecting
115kBaud for the appropriate serial port.

Editing hex values in an INF file seems like a great way to fuck with someone you don't like, and a HORRID way to do literally anything else with this capability.  I guess if you really need to get a nonstandard baud rate from an application that normally can't do that....

Given that the windows COM port API and the FTDI direct driver can both just be given an arbitrary baud rate, though, does the driver only use the divider settings from the INF file when the requested baud rate matches one of the standard ones?  So if you request a baud rate of 9599 or 9601, the driver/internal logic calculates the dividers and you get exactly those rates (or as close as the divider can get anyway), but if you request 9600 you get whatever divider settings the INF file has for that entry?

I think this is a legacy thing from when Windows and/or comon application software didn't support odd baudrates. Don't recall details but there definitely was a time when this was necessary, not sure if the limitation was Windows itself or software like Hyperterminal. I'd imagine old software with nailed-in baudrates  is not uncommon in the industrial world

I once used the INF file to set custom receive latency to improve performance, but now that Windows enforces driver signing, dicking around with the drivers, custom PIDs etc. is much more difficult for anything going to an end-user.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 12:01:01 pm by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: ajb

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf