Author Topic: FT232\245BM -> PIC16F877A  (Read 6329 times)

Offline R-M-ITopic starter

• Contributor
FT232\245BM -> PIC16F877A
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:18:18 am »
Hi there..

I have a programmer-cable \  USB-> serial converter that I want to connect directly to a board using a PIC16F877A.
The programmer-cable\device is a FT232\245BM according to FTProg. And it is a FTDI device.

The problem I have here is that the 3rd party PIC-programmer-software doesn't seem to want to detect the programmer-device..

To be able to use my programmer I need to know what pins the following are:

MCLR \Vpp
PGM \ Vdd
Clock
Data Out
Data In

Any suggestions as to how I can figure out how to set this thing up with the pic-programmer?
I've tried reading the data-sheets and all, but I can't seem to find what I need..

-Remi

Online rolycat

• Super Contributor
Re: FT232\245BM -> PIC16F877A
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »
Insufficient data...

The FTDI FT232BM and FT245BM are different devices, the first is a USB-to-serial converter and the second is a USB-to-parallel-FIFO. Neither is designed for programming PICs without additional circuitry.

Who manufactured the converter? Do you have any documentation for it? Which software are you using?

The pin names you have provided are for the standard PIC ICSP header. Are these identified on the converter?

If you can provide more information it will be easier to give assistance.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 05:22:41 pm »
there, there and there! see attachment below (what data out?). now you owe me. if its works, you have to show me your programmer and software :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:43:38 pm »
I think perhaps you have a USB/UART converter cable that's used for programming an Arduino.  The Arduino has a bootloader installed, and may be programmed using this cable.

A blank PIC requires a specialized programmer.  The PICkit 2 or PICkit 3 are examples of the programmer that can be used and are recommended above all other options.  You can't program a blank PIC via a connection to the serial port.

Your USB/UART cable can be used to program a PIC if there is a bootloader installed.  How do you install a bootloader?  With a PICkit 2 or PICkit 3.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:29:57 pm »
I have a "PicKit3" on the way.. And I guess the boards do have a bootloader preinstalled.. 

All I want to do with this is retrieve firmware from it the PIC's on the boards I'm talking about. And then later write the firmware onto the same type of PIC :)

I have a 3rd party programmer-software that works.. But it only allows me to write TO the boards.. Not to retrieve from them :/

A regular PIC-programmer software like PICpgm won't recognize the programming-cable unless I configure it manuelly in the program.
It will detect the connected PIC once the programmer starts "talking" with the programmer-software..

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:17:58 am »
There we go then:

Cracked the box open today.. What I could find inside was:

------------
FTDI
FT232BM
------------
ATMEL
ATMEGA8