Author Topic: Fin Controlled Active Rocket Stabilization System  (Read 455 times)

Online electronxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fin Controlled Active Rocket Stabilization System
« on: Yesterday at 06:20:20 pm »
This is a  project blog .I will continue to make additions as I find time and the system develops. I have been unemployed for about a month and I am starting to get bored (Nepotism is truly disgusting). For this reason, I decided to develop the unfinished active rocket stabilization system.
Things to do in this process:
High speed cpu based modular hardware
Modular actuator system

https://i.imgur.com/cm48ZQL.mp4
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:33:04 pm by electronx »

The following users thanked this post: ROT

Online Andy Chee

• Super Contributor
Re: Fin Controlled Active Rocket Stabilization System
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:55:49 pm »
There's a good reason why the control surfaces of a rocket are at the back near the motor.

The following users thanked this post: electronx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:58:30 pm »
There's a good reason why the control surfaces of a rocket are at the back near the motor.

Thanks ! yes there are hundreds of articles about this. but there is no statement like one solution is better than the other. there are advantages and disadvantages from application to application.

Offline moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:04:42 pm »

Thanks ! yes there are hundreds of articles about this. but there is no statement like one solution is better than the other. there are advantages and disadvantages from application to application.
The further back the fins are they become easier to use, a more stable system, the further forward they become more dynamic or unstable. It is similar to going from stabilizing a pendulum to an inverted pendulum, one is inherently stable the other is inherently unstable.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:13:56 pm »
Absolutely right, in fluid mechanics, parametric mechanical sweep can be done and stability can be easily seen and the point of the fins can be determined. However, if you want to get a more responsive-dynamic rocket, you should bring the fins closer to the front. What we call flow separations will definitely limit the angles of the fins. It is possible to see ridiculous oscillations at the slightest imbalance.Obviously some things were experimental (extended Kalman filter implementation and such), which is why I wanted to develop a modular system. After the basic structure, playing with the mechanics will become much simpler.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:19:23 pm by electronx »

Offline moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:20:13 pm »
It is not so much a rocket but a missile.

Online Andy Chee

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:29:06 pm »
After the basic structure, playing with the mechanics will become much simpler.
On the contrary, the mechanics will be the most difficult part! 

Specifically, you need instantaneous response between your computer and your control surface, so any signal delay, servo gear backlash, or balance misalignment in your assembly will not accumulate as errors in the computer calculations, and cause your already unstable fin configuration to be impossibly uncontrollable.

And the biggest signal delay won't necessarily be from your control surface mechanics.  The biggest signal delay will be from your electronic gimbal/accelerometer sensor.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:31:58 pm by Andy Chee »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:55:40 am »
Why would you want a dynamic, responsive rocket?  To keep attitude you want tiny adjustments to keep the thing going mostly straight, not do somersaults and whatnot.  With control surfaces that large, even tiny motions (including flexing and the aforementioned backlash) will end up causing huge errors even if you can find and react to them fast enough.  Think of driving a car, when you're moving at high speed, you would only want to make tiny adjustments to the trajectory or you'll lose control quickly.  With rocket fins, you have next to no control when moving slowly, since they're only changing aerodynamics, but when you're at speed, if you move a degree, you could easily send yourself end over end in a fraction of a second.

And I think moffy nailed it as to why there isn't tons of information out there.  Missile guidance is sort of inherently a military technology, so publishing specifics of the control loops is not something most governments/development contracts are fond of.

Offline jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:15:17 am »
Uh, yeah, there are laws about like ITAR which could be A Problem. And could perhaps bite you even if you’re not a US citizen and located outside the USA (paranoid fever dream: you use GitHub to store files, which counts as an import to the USA. Then someone from the US makes a code suggestion, which you implement. You are now considered to have exported military technology from the USA…)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:30:02 am »
Uh, yeah, there are laws about like ITAR which could be A Problem. And could perhaps bite you even if you’re not a US citizen and located outside the USA (paranoid fever dream: you use GitHub to store files, which counts as an import to the USA. Then someone from the US makes a code suggestion, which you implement. You are now considered to have exported military technology from the USA…)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations

Does just sharing photos and graphics fall under these regulations?

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:45:26 am »
At least in some cases, yes.  SpaceX covers portions of their recovered rockets because people take pictures of them and some of their space technology is considered ITAR protected.  That's not to say you probably couldn't scrape it off of somewhere, but at least clear, intentional pictures may be.

Honestly, the rules are complex enough and it comes down to "will they care enough" that I aim not to risk it.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:03:37 am »
It may even implicate Dave in this. However, I suspect most trouble will come your way when you start going into the guidance systems.

Plus, we don't want to give the ruskies any new tech now do we?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Today at 08:12:39 am »
This is not a new technology.The technology is probably older than my grandfather. As for the system, I have a few prototype hardware pcbs (mcu based), I will convert it to a cpu based structure, and for this I coded an extended Kalman filter from scratch. The Kalman filter works quite well, but no launch tests have been performed.there is still a long way to go.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:14:19 am by electronx »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf