Author Topic: Filtering switching noise with ferrite beads and linear regulator  (Read 28943 times)

Offline ramicioTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Filtering switching noise with ferrite beads and linear regulator
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2013, 03:32:28 pm »
Just because I can walk to a store a few blocks away for food does not mean there is a place that sells electronics stuff withing walking distance.  Having to pay for shipping for a battery holder and a 7805 is not a good use of money.

Yeah, FFT is a good idea, but it's not doable for someone like me who lacks the intelligence to get it done.  I suppose an actual retarded person could learn to be a rocket scientist?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 03:35:09 pm »
I will admit that I could probably do it, but not from scratch.  I would have to start with someone's else code.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 03:36:38 pm »
I will admit that I could probably do it, but not from scratch.  I would have to start with someone's else code.

Of course. Nobody here invented the entirety of electronics and programming in a void.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2013, 03:59:01 pm »
I suppose an actual retarded person could learn to be a rocket scientist?

Yes, because that's exactly the same thing as saying someone who's already demonstrated a casual understanding can improve.

Just because I can walk to a store a few blocks away for food does not mean there is a place that sells electronics stuff withing walking distance.  Having to pay for shipping for a battery holder and a 7805 is not a good use of money.

Are you trying to be a twit on purpose to back up your "I'm too stupid" argument? Who needs a battery holder? Tape some wires to a couple 1.5V cells. I'm sure they have them. 4.5V will be enough, and I'm sure you can find some broken piece of crap somebody's giving away to rip a regulator out of if you insist on a full 5.0V.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2013, 03:59:58 pm »
Could you recommend where to start regarding the dsPICs?  Are they powerful enough to get this done with a very fluid refresh like a visualization you would see on a music player program on a PC?  If I could get away with it speed-wise, I would probably go with more bands and resolution.  Maybe 32x32, if that's sane.  If not, 32x16 would be good.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2013, 04:12:07 pm »
Are they powerful enough to get this done with a very fluid refresh like a visualization you would see on a music player program on a PC?

Yes. The dsPIC33F, which I recently used, goes up to 40 MIPS. That means you can fit in 1250 instructions for every single sample at a 32 kHz sample rate. Even some very inefficient code should have no problem running a real-time FFT at that rate.

Could you recommend where to start regarding the dsPICs?

The datasheet. (Well, the specific one for whichever device you end up using.) There's a lot there, you'll want to sit down with a good, large cup of coffee and have a couple reads through it. That will give you an idea of its capabilities.

Then get one. If you can get an affordable development board for it, do that, otherwise you'll have to roll your own. It's not really complicated, a dsPIC is a long way from an FPGA or something. You'll need to run it at 3.3V, not 5V - trap for young players. You can use anything that can program PICs to program it (PICkit is reasonably affordable), and the software is free from Microchip. Start small - get it to flash an LED, and then get it to read analog values from the ADC.

If I could get away with it speed-wise, I would probably go with more bands and resolution.  Maybe 32x32, if that's sane.  If not, 32x16 would be good.

You can do 32x32 with that chip.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2013, 04:15:01 pm »
Here's a dev board for $30. It needs the chip itself and an external programmer. Their official programmer costs $100 but it can be made to work with a PICkit instead, I'm sure. (Disclaimer: I've never used it. I started with my own board for that chip.)

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2013, 04:22:06 pm »
Then get one. If you can get an affordable development board for it, do that, otherwise you'll have to roll your own. It's not really complicated, a dsPIC is a long way from an FPGA or something. You'll need to run it at 3.3V, not 5V - trap for young players. You can use anything that can program PICs to program it (PICkit is reasonably affordable), and the software is free from Microchip. Start small - get it to flash an LED, and then get it to read analog values from the ADC.

The Microstick II (or "Microstick for dsPIC") might be worth a look -- about $30 from memory -- it's a combined USB programmer and breakout board for the 28-pin DIP dsPIC / PIC24 / PIC32 devices, and includes a selection of PICs to get you started (including a dsPIC).

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2013, 04:32:11 pm »
Awesome! Comes with the chip, built-in programmer - very nice. Yes, I recommend that too.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2013, 04:32:24 pm »
I dont get it.. A 7805 is obviously too much trouble to fix the thing we already spent money on. Everything else is too complex but we are going to throw oodles of money on a devkit , programmer and invest time and money making a new one. You will need to buy led's and other electronics, make a pcb and more. This will also cost money....

All that to have some blinkenlights in a computercase ? That thing doesn't even serve a real purpose.
It's not a piece of testequipment.. .all it does is blink leds on a music beat...

Upsidedown world ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2013, 04:38:46 pm »
All that to have some blinkenlights in a computercase ? That thing doesn't even serve a real purpose.
It's not a piece of testequipment.. .all it does is blink leds on a music beat...

Not just to have blinkenlights, to learn how to make blinkenlights. They're just as electronic as any other project a beginner could embark on.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2013, 04:39:34 pm »
I do already have a PicKit 2.  The dsPIC33 looks to be what I need if I were to do 32x32.

It's not about too much trouble to fix it.  The power supply is only part of the problem.  The main problem is that it's just a flashy piece of crap with no real accuracy.  The problem is that it does just blink to the beat of music, so it's not that much of a spectrum analyzer.  Free_electron, you just need to unsubscribe from this thread if your input is just going to be that this doesn't matter because it's just blinking lights in a computer case and that it serves no real purpose.  How did you learn about electronics?  I'd imagine by making "pointless" little trinkets and working your way up.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2013, 04:40:23 pm »
Not just to have blinkenlights, to learn how to make blinkenlights. They're just as electronic as any other project a beginner could embark on.

You get it.  While it may not serve some purpose in a lab environment, it's something that DOES serve a purpose by teaching me and making my computer look cool.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2013, 04:48:52 pm »
Free_electron, you just need to unsubscribe from this thread if your input is just going to be that this doesn't matter because it's just blinking lights in a computer case and that it serves no real purpose.

He is somebody you should listen to. Maybe points of opinion like "it's not worth the effort" can differ, but he knows what he's talking about with electronics.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2013, 05:20:48 pm »
362 pages.  That will take urns of coffee.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »
I see our misunderstanding - I call that a "cup". Takes me about 30 min to finish. ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2013, 06:01:24 pm »
I'm sitting here going off on tangents in my head and I realized I could do a 32x32 display with only 10 IO pins, so I don't need one of these huge QFP chips.

I spoke too soon.  I don't think any binary decoder exists that keeps the lesser values low.  They just output a single line.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:36:19 pm by ramicio »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2013, 08:58:54 pm »

You misinterpreted what i wrote.
When i suggest a 0.5$ solution in the form of a 7805 that is considered too much trouble...
Yet embarking on a fairly complex bit of fft code and a led matrix scanni, building a new led matrix , learning how to write code, get a dspic , make aboard for the display .. That is not too much trouble...

Especially after the ranting about 'not being avle to learn programming'.

That's the bit that doesn't make sense to me....

I'm all for learning and tinkering with electronics. But the amount of 'lip' we got in this topic when trying to suggest even simple thing like a lowpass filter or the 7805 ... It just makes me wonder.

Every other post we were met with : i don't have ( pick your choice ) money, tools, transport, knowledge, skill, brains ...

Yet, there was money and transport to get this nonfunctional 'hood ornament' in the first place.
And now we are embarking on something that will require tools,knowledge and brains as well..

What's goingto be next ?  I live in the jungle and there is no electricity ?
There will be soldering involved... You will have to construct that 32x32 array of led's. either design you own board or do it on perfboard. You cant do that using two planks of wood and three nails...

Now, on a more constructive note.
If you wantto keep the pincount low: do the column addressing using a shiftregister. Just clock a single 1 around. I would make shift registers out of 74574's. the pins are neatly in order.
Tie the clk lines together. Connect the q0 to D1, Q1to d2 and so on. The last q7 goes to d0 of the next one.

Now all you need is two cpu pins. Set one pin low and give 32 pulses on the clk line. This erase whatever is in the registers. You only do this at startup. Now you make the pin high , give one clock pulse and make the pin low. This makes q0 of the first 74574 high. Ever new clock pulse moves this bit one position. After 32 clocks you have scanned the entire array.

The way the pins are ordered in a 74574 makes it very simple to construct the shifter.
You can connect the outputs of the 74574 to uln2803 and drive all the currentyou want.

So you can scan the array woth two pins in horizontal direction.
For the vertical you could do the same approach. There i would double buffer. Meaning i follow the shifter by a latch. I transfer the shifter contents to the latch using the same clock edge that progresses the scan shifter.
With 5 or 6 pins you can control the array.
Hook that into an interrupt handler driven from an internal counter and you don't need to think about it.

The fft generates 32 numbers ( one for each column) the int handler simply reads them one by one and advances the scan counter. Every interrupt you update one column. This will give you plenty of computing throughput.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:28 pm »
Did you consider that you are being trolled?
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2013, 03:00:51 am »

I reckon that is probably the case. Just in case it isn't, to the OP, if you find that programming and electronics is "too hard", I don't think calling yourself "not intelligent enough" is necessarily true. If you think that a few months of tinkering, reading and experimenting it too much work then you probably just picked something that you aren't really interested in.

I know I have hit that wall with a few subjects that sounded like a great hobby or subject to pursue only to find that once I reached the details I wasn't interested enough to spend the required amount of time to learn the fundamentals of the subject or just realised that I didn't find it as interesting as I initially thought I did.

You can't take on a project like this as a goal if you aren't prepared to spend hundreds and hundreds of hours reading, tinkering and experimenting on the way to the goal and you have to enjoy the process of getting to the goal as much or more than achieving the goal otherwise it would be like torture getting there or someone else will have to do all the heavy lifting for you and you will just be "painting by numbers".

If you are prepared to work hard and show it, you will find a lot of help here on the forum. If not then you will not feel very welcome I suspect.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2013, 04:01:07 am »

No, and despite how much of an ass I'll look like if I'm wrong, I still don't think that's the case. The quick switch of attitude from "I'm an idiot who can't learn anything" to "I'm ready to learn something" is odd, but perhaps more the mark of confusion than trolling.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2013, 01:01:11 pm »
I don't troll (if trolling is just going around arguing for the sole purpose of trying to get a reaction).  I'm just a deeply-troubled individual.  Thanks for the patience.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf