Author Topic: Favourite ESD device for USB?  (Read 5035 times)

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
Favourite ESD device for USB?
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:17:26 pm »
Have any of you got a favourite ESD device for USB?

Digikey has a warehouse full apparently, ranging from individual pins to comprehensive multi-port with over voltage protection. Prices are from ~60c to $3 in single quantities.

I can just pick one, or a set, and be done with it, but I'll probably stick with what I choose now for quite some projects to come, so I thought I'd get your input first.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
Re: Favourite ESD device for USB?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:25:28 am »
I use the same 4terminal ones with low capacitance that work for USB3, HDMI, and everything slower

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/HSP061-4M10/497-13410-1-ND/3737646
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:15:29 am »
Thank you. Looks like a bitch to hand solder, but it'll probably do.

Offline luky315

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:04:40 am »
The NUF2042XV6 http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=NUF2042XV6 is great if you need the integrated 22Ohm series resistors.
It is possible to solder it by hand.

Offline jeroen74

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 10:03:48 pm »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:52:28 pm »
I'm fond of the SOT-23-6 (or 323) varieties.  I don't have a particular favorite; TI, ST, NXP and so on all make suitable devices.

Do check if you're doing USB 1.1 Full Speed, or USB 2.0 High Speed.  The latter is the fast LVDS signal, can't sustain any loading or filtering, and needs to use low-capacitance protection diodes.  The former is basically HC CMOS and can be filtered and protected quite modestly, which will also greatly help with possible microwave susceptibility issues.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 11:38:53 pm »
For USB Full Speed, I have used ON Semi CM1213A-02SR for a few years. It's in tens of thousands of my devices, I've seen less than half a dozen knackered device USB ports in returns, and I strongly suspect that those that were bust were due to non-standard influences.

More recently for high speed I have moved to Microchip's USB3751, more expensive but it provides high speed compatibility and battery charger capability detection over I2C as well as ESD protection. Depending on your application, having the ESD protection integrated into this kind of device together with charger detection makes for a reasonable solution, the various potpourri of USB charger "standards" is laughable.

As an aside, Microchip really do seem to be producing some interesting non-PIC devices these days in certain niches that are both commonly available and reasonably priced.

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 12:12:14 am »
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

The NUF2042XV6 http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=NUF2042XV6 is great if you need the integrated 22Ohm series resistors.
Nice. My spec requires 33R termination though.

I used the USB6B1 from ST: http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00001361.pdf

Comes in SO-8.
Expensive. I like the layout though.

I'm fond of the SOT-23-6 (or 323) varieties.  I don't have a particular favorite; TI, ST, NXP and so on all make suitable devices.

Do check if you're doing USB 1.1 Full Speed, or USB 2.0 High Speed.  The latter is the fast LVDS signal, can't sustain any loading or filtering, and needs to use low-capacitance protection diodes.  The former is basically HC CMOS and can be filtered and protected quite modestly, which will also greatly help with possible microwave susceptibility issues.

Tim
Understood, I've read a few app notes by now.

For USB Full Speed, I have used ON Semi CM1213A-02SR for a few years. It's in tens of thousands of my devices, I've seen less than half a dozen knackered device USB ports in returns, and I strongly suspect that those that were bust were due to non-standard influences.

More recently for high speed I have moved to Microchip's USB3751, more expensive but it provides high speed compatibility and battery charger capability detection over I2C as well as ESD protection. Depending on your application, having the ESD protection integrated into this kind of device together with charger detection makes for a reasonable solution, the various potpourri of USB charger "standards" is laughable.

As an aside, Microchip really do seem to be producing some interesting non-PIC devices these days in certain niches that are both commonly available and reasonably priced.
The CM1213A-02SR doesn't look interesting, and the USB3751 is not stocked by digikey, is expensive and isn't hand solderable. Nice device though.  :)

I hate to be 'that guy' that asks for advice and then does something different, but I found this: http://www.digikey.co.nz/product-detail/en/DT1042-04SO-7/DT1042-04SO-7DICT-ND/4457893

It's hand solderable (just) SOT-23-6, as Tim suggested, and about 50c in small quantities over here.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:16:10 am »
the USB3751 ... isn't hand solderable. Nice device though.  :)

wut? it's a QFN...
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 12:23:39 am »

wut? it's a QFN...
Maybe I misread the datasheet, I only glanced at it. Hasn't it got a big pad underneath it? Even so, sure you can hand solder it, but why dick around?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 12:37:05 am »

The CM1213A-02SR doesn't look interesting, and the USB3751 is not stocked by digikey, is expensive and isn't hand solderable. Nice device though.  :)

The reason I offered the CM1213A part was because I can testify to its functionality in a real device with a reasonably large volume of production. I am sure there may well be other devices, but I was offering you real evidence and experience of one that works in the field. That may or may not be important to you, so feel free to take it or leave it!

Regarding the USB5731, I've hand soldered several, it's really not a big deal, it's just a usual QFN. I understand it if you're reticent if you've not toyed with hand soldering QFNs before, but given enough initial bravado I'm sure you'll take to it like a duck to water and wonder what all the fuss was about. You just need a $100 hot air iron, solder, flux and your usual iron. A steady hand and magnifying capability are also pretty much prereqs, but if you're soldering SOT-23s you prolly already have those.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 12:39:45 am »

wut? it's a QFN...
Maybe I misread the datasheet, I only glanced at it. Hasn't it got a big pad underneath it? Even so, sure you can hand solder it, but why dick around?

Because it has all that extra functionality that otherwise you'd have to use another dozen or so parts for, and it's cheaper. Seriously, don't think a QFN is hard, it isn't.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 12:46:16 am »

Nice. My spec requires 33R termination though.

They are 22 ohm. I use them with devices that require 33 (lpc11u35) and everything seems to work just fine. You can add 11R in series.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:48:03 am by zapta »

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 02:18:41 am »
The reason I offered the CM1213A part was because I can testify to its functionality in a real device with a reasonably large volume of production. I am sure there may well be other devices, but I was offering you real evidence and experience of one that works in the field. That may or may not be important to you, so feel free to take it or leave it!
Sorry, I did understand that. I shouldn't have just glossed over your input like that.

Also, re-reading the datasheet indicates this is indeed a fine recommendation. When I first looked I read the datasheet incorrectly. Wrong device.

Regarding the USB5731, I've hand soldered several, it's really not a big deal, it's just a usual QFN. I understand it if you're reticent if you've not toyed with hand soldering QFNs before, but given enough initial bravado I'm sure you'll take to it like a duck to water and wonder what all the fuss was about. You just need a $100 hot air iron, solder, flux and your usual iron. A steady hand and magnifying capability are also pretty much prereqs, but if you're soldering SOT-23s you prolly already have those.
It was the thermal pad that put me off. But thanks for the encouragement!

They are 22 ohm. I use them with devices that require 33 (lpc11u35) and everything seems to work just fine. You can add 11R in series.
Interesting, that's the same MCU as I'm using.

Anyway, I've designed in the part I found now. This is a lesson to do my research better. Thanks again guys.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 05:37:18 am »
Interesting, that's the same MCU as I'm using.

Anyway, I've designed in the part I found now. This is a lesson to do my research better. Thanks again guys.

Here is the schema if it helps.  If you are using an ISP button, you can make it a single button operation using D4 and C7. I used it all the time for programming during the edit/run cycle.

https://github.com/zapta/arm/raw/master/pro-mini/board/arm-pro-mini-schematic.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf